Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

College of DuPage has a GOES-16 feed up and running for all the weenies (and off duty federal weenies).

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=newengland-02-24-1

Look at the Florida view http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=florida-02-24-1

Check out that cool band of what I guess is dry air eating away at the clouds, moving southeast, while everything else drifts to the west.  It's over the ocean near the top of the image.

6 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Look at the Florida view http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=florida-02-24-1

Check out that cool band of what I guess is dry air eating away at the clouds, moving southeast, while everything else drifts to the west.  It's over the ocean near the top of the image.

I mean we all know that clouds are dynamic, but with the new satellite you can really see it in real time rather than infer what happened between scans. 

Ginxy will be able to go wild tracking gravity wave features.

OceanStWx ... we make interesting light of it but ... I find it rather rare to get that 70 to snow variance in the W-E coordinate.  

That's even getting impressive in the Plains when it's N to south ...say Kansas to southern Iowa... but it's harder to get warm west of cold over such short distance, along the same latitude.  

interesting..

40 minutes ago, klw said:

Meanwhile here at the office the thermostat must be broken.  It is 81.7 at my desk as it is snowing at a good clip out my window.

Yuck.  Thermostat on the main building side (I'm on an attached porch) says 67.6, but the thermometer on my desk shows 15C - it's a wood carving from St.-Jean Port Joli in Quebec, going away gift from the folks up north in 1985.  I think the desk reading is closer to the truth, the other affected by the 72-73F air in the main hallway.  It's fortunate that I prefer a cool atmosphere.

Snow picked up in Augusta about 3 PM, maybe another 1/4".  Nice aggregates for a while, back to itty-bitties again.  Trying to stick on cars and pavement as the sun angle approximates mid-DEC.  Radar suggests all the good stuff stays south of home, by 10-20 miles.

Wow.  Just looking at the GOES 16 loops as the sun is setting.  Watching the storms over Arkansas.  So much stuff going on in the atmosphere that is impossible to see with the current GOES.   Will this site stay up or is this just temporary?

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=southwest-02-24-1

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Wow.  Just looking at the GOES 16 loops as the sun is setting.  Watching the storms over Arkansas.  So much stuff going on in the atmosphere that is impossible to see with the current GOES.   Will this site stay up or is this just temporary?

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=southwest-02-24-1

Should stay up as long as their server holds up and the feed stays active. GOES-16 should become operational sometime in the next couple of months and at that point people are pretty much freely allowed to the use the data however they want.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I saw the precip moving in this morning and figured the unicorns and rainbows weren't happening here. But did this catch you guys that off guard? I didn't look up north admittedly. 

My first shift back was yesterday, so I wasn't really plugged into the day to day with an evening spent on training, but it clearly caught some people off guard here. 

We were treating it as a brief fropa with some mixed precip possible. Instead we got mostly snow with a brief mix at the end, and a pretty long duration steady precip.

I experienced some of the worst driving conditions I've ever been in on the way home today. Gah. I saw the highway coming to a halt at exit 18 so I quickly got off and took rt 132 on the way home. Big mistake. Every few miles there was a car off the road or into a tree. I couldn't stop if I had to...I flew through one stop sign going onto 132. I felt like I was driving in a frictionless environment. It reminded me of the SE in an ice storm. 

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I experienced some of the worst driving conditions I've ever been in on the way home today. Gah. I saw the highway coming to a halt at exit 18 so I quickly got off and took rt 132 on the way home. Big mistake. Every few miles there was a car off the road or into a tree. I couldn't stop if I had to...I flew through one stop sign going onto 132. I felt like I was driving in a frictionless environment. It reminded me of the SE in an ice storm. 

Man Brian I feel for you.  I was intently watching my truck tstat as it dropped from 34 near PYM to 30 a few miles down the road, first noticed glistening in the trees then on the road then boom snow. Maine DPW was on it instantly but we did see cars off the road and accidents.Rough white knuckle drive, did I tell you how much I hate 18 wheelers?

Archived