Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I have no idea why this function was added.  It has been my experience that people get all butt about ratings and sh*t like that eventually.  

Yea, a weather forum trying to be down with social media features.

7 minutes ago, Hazey said:

+1 for tapatalk. Don't have to see that ratings crap.

I will like many many posts and give out hearts like halloween candy. Afterall, I'm a giving person in real life...it is much more fulfilling then being showered with gifts. 

Therefore, I hope they make a gift counter as well. 

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea, a weather forum trying to be down with social media features.

I will like many many posts and give out hearts like halloween candy. Afterall, I'm a giving person in real life...it is much more fulfilling then being showered with gifts. 

Therefore, I hope they make a gift counter as well. 

Can't even turn off stupid notifications for likes, stinking millineals and their need for acceptance 

2 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The like button is a pretty simple way to "agree" with a post when you don't have anything to add. 

I fixed the notification issue, they should be disabled by default and settable in your settings.

Also removed the scorekeeping aspect since that will definitely cause a problem with the 12 and under crowd.

It would be kinda cool if we could view/sort the most liked posts in the past 24hrs.

5 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

The like button is a pretty simple way to "agree" with a post when you don't have anything to add. 

I fixed the notification issue, they should be disabled by default and settable in your settings.

Also removed the scorekeeping aspect since that will definitely cause a problem with the 12 and under crowd.

Thank you for the turn off on notification likes

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

-4F right now and still dropping here in the valley.

March may have the most sub-zero temps of any month this winter.

SLK at -18F and still going down too.  Probably going to throw up a -20F spot.

Stopped at about 5° at my place as wind was still gusting into the 20s at sunrise.  Might get below that tonight, though it will be a race among radiating, warming aloft, and incoming clouds.  Given my location and snow depth, radiating would trump the midlevel temps, but cloud timing will determine how low we go.

Any records with cold/ wind chills this week?  Seems MIGHTY cold for March.

In 2014 I had lows on 3/24-25 of -15 and -17.  Farmington's -12 on the 25th is their coldest in 124  years record for so late in the season.  Less windy that month than this, but I think 3/2017 will finish 4-5F less cold than 3 years earlier, though still solidly 2nd coldest of 19 Morches.

34 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

NHEC replaced 117 poles.  I wish Eversource would post tidbits like this.  All Eversource ever posts is that there is no known ETR, haha.

High Haith road off of Bean Rd in Center Harbor was hit bad too. Maybe Red Hill influence there? Impressive stat!

45 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

NHEC replaced 117 poles.  I wish Eversource would post tidbits like this.  All Eversource ever posts is that there is no known ETR, haha.

That's respectable, given the modest area affected.  Adding another such tidbit from history, CMP replaced something like 3,200 poles - over a vastly greater area of course - after the 1998 ice storm. 

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Wait, really?

No way to get the trucks/drill needed to set new poles on the island.  The ice is pretty dodgy and is already receding from the shore in many places.

I wonder how castle in the clouds did...they are right smack in the middle of the area that got it the worst.  Would being on the side of the mountain "protect" them?  I envision the wind really accelerating once it hits the very bottom and has to spread out.

I assume the Belknaps are to blame for the patch of slightly-enhanced damaged along route 106/107.  

Nice to look at that topo site again:

Capture.PNG

6 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Any records with cold/ wind chills this week?  Seems MIGHTY cold for March.

Front came through too late yesterday, for example the daytime high at BTV was 18 and the low max for the date is 19 from 1885... but the midnight high of 36 isn't very impressive lol.  Similar stories in a lot of places in New England....

1 minute ago, radarman said:

Front came through too late yesterday, for example the daytime high at BTV was 18 and the low max for the date is 19 from 1885... but the midnight high of 36 isn't very impressive lol.  Similar stories in a lot of places in New England....

Yeah I haven't checked the record lows but haven't seen any statements so doubt anything was set.

-7F for the low here at MVL.

Even BTV with 3F is impressive for them.

SLK with the obligatory -20F minimum too.

58 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

High Haith road off of Bean Rd in Center Harbor was hit bad too. Maybe Red Hill influence there? Impressive stat!

40 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

No way to get the trucks/drill needed to set new poles on the island.  The ice is pretty dodgy and is already receding from the shore in many places.

I wonder how castle in the clouds did...they are right smack in the middle of the area that got it the worst.  Would being on the side of the mountain "protect" them?  I envision the wind really accelerating once it hits the very bottom and has to spread out.

I assume the Belknaps are to blame for the patch of slightly-enhanced damaged along route 106/107.  

Nice to look at that topo site again:

It's our best guess at this point that all these terrain features played a role (Red Hill, Belknaps, and Ossipees). They pretty well correlate to the highest damage areas.

14 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It's our best guess at this point that all these terrain features played a role (Red Hill, Belknaps, and Ossipees). They pretty well correlate to the highest damage areas.

Any reports further north? It seemed like that area got smoked relative to other parts of the state. Anything further west in the Monads?  The winds had to be above 70 at the height. DIT approved.

Archived