SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night between like 2 and 4 AM at CEF/ORE and a lot of the PWS out this way the temps rose sharply.  Up 8 degrees in one hour at CEF for example.  But no precip was recorded and barometric pressure was steady.  Winds did increase but were out of the NW or even N.  Can anyone explain what might have caused that? 

2 minutes ago, radarman said:

Last night between like 2 and 4 AM at CEF/ORE and a lot of the PWS out this way the temps rose sharply.  Up 8 degrees in one hour at CEF for example.  But no precip was recorded and barometric pressure was steady.  Winds did increase but were out of the NW or even N.  Can anyone explain what might have caused that? 

Mixing with the fropa. There was rad cooling ahead of the front. 

22 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

There is still the other style available with the red and green like/dislike arrows.  I call it hugs or hurtyhurtz mode.

Might be worth enabling it just to watch Tip have a meltdown if one of his posts gets disliked too much.

Weird.. not sure why, but there seems to be some kind of agenda to see me 'melt down' ?  I keep catching glimpses of this content when scrolling in this pass-time.

Look, nothing in the shenanigans that go on in here worries or matters that much to me, folks.  Not sure where that is motivated from. But I am a human (much to the debate of any detractors...), so I suppose if you wait around long enough and waste your life-time, maybe I'll surprise you with something! 

I don't placate and enable this weird consortium of winter-related "climatoids" - that for sure. As history has shown, any realities that are caustic to those user's personal preferences, ...look out!  Usually that results in a steady diet of subversive pettiness and/or tactical trolling from those users. You don't always see it right away, either - they're like radioactivity. Suddenly your reputation is like a tumor out of nowhere.  

I can take it if you can - ultimately it doesn't matter. There's nothing going on in here that's moving, or shaking up the world in any sort of meaningful way.

.as an after though it's even worse now over the years since American WX was ripped from Eastern in order to become a profit engine open to the public. This is what happens when any product gets mass-produced.  The standards erode ... socio-economic law of reducing returns.  Ha!  funny.   

31 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Impressive CAA for this time of year...watching the METARS lose like 2-4F past hour across New England. Highest drops seem to be higher terrain which is no surprise, but even the lower normal torch areas falling.

No kidding!  

I was actually curious how this air mass will battle against insolation ...given to being post Equinox.  

It's more an observational experiment for tomorrow, as today's instability/clouds and well mixed windiness doesn't lend to that example.  But tomorrow, will be interesting, with more likely unabated hot sun bathing the landscape.  MOS' around mid 30s.  

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I was completely unaware of just how cold this March has been relative to normal.  Going to use the MVL ASOS numbers as they are only a few miles away at a similar elevation to me.

Maybe because its getting warmer out and the sun is getting stronger that I didn't realize it, but normals are rising a lot faster than we have been.

MVL is -6.6 on the month so far and over the next 48-hours that won't get any higher.

I also just realized that MVL's lowest temperature of the winter occurred a couple days ago on March 18th with -11F...there was a -10F in January that is 2nd coldest  That's shocking to me, I guess I hadn't been paying attention but the past few winters have all had several -20s type mornings.  Not this year.  But for March 18th to have the lowest temperature of the month is crazy.

March has also had 7 days with minimum temperatures of 0F or lower...January is the next closest with 5 days.  February only had 2. 

Average temperatures (mean of highs and lows) yield the following values:

January...24.7F (+8.8)

February...24.8F (+6.2)

March...19.9F (-6.6)

I honestly didn't realize just how much of a pattern change had occurred this month from the winter's regime.  Whether you consider it a pattern change or not, something has changed in a big way to make March colder than January and February so far.  With another cold shot coming tomorrow and another chance for sub-zero minimum temperatures

Warmth bookended by cold:

DEC   18.4   -3.8
JAN   20.6   +5.9
FEB   20.8   +3.5
MAR   19.0   -6.8 to date.  Temps 22-31 would have to depart about -12 for March to finish colder than Feb.  I think we have a shot at beating 2003's 24.16 for #2 coldest.

AVG  +0.24 for Dec 1-Mar 21.  I expect to be almost dead on my 4-month avg by 3/31.

0 or below here are nicely balanced for DJFM:  8, 8, 7, 7.  Might add tomorrow morning, but that would be the last.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

19F a little past solar noon and falling.

We have had some damn cold afternoons the past few weeks.

3/4:  Aft high 6 (only lost 3F as previous evening temp was 9)
3/11:  Disappointing to have a zero max corrupted by 14F cheapo high
3/22:  Was low 20s at dawn, 29 at 9 last night, not too sad.

I think this is most common for late winter CAA.  Most egregious example was 3/6/2007 when my evening temp of 19 spoiled a -2 max the following afternoon.

Man what a full-on Ginxy style winter day in late March.

As adk and I were talking about yesterday there was plenty of low level moisture left over for the arctic front and NW flow to act on overnight and dropped a wind-blown Advisory level snow last night of 3-5" in the towns all around the Mansfield-Bolton stretch of the Greens.  The jackpots were the higher terrain of the ski resorts with Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs seeing 7" overnight.

March_22.thumb.png.0456f572bab50b0aab4b3df8e3fd0b85.png

Funny how sometimes I'd track something that drops 3-5" for days on the models, then there are the times when it comes with very little fanfare.  CoCoRAHS showing 0.2-0.33" type liquid with this snow so while powder it wasn't pure fluff.  Looks and feels like a clipper snows.

Along with the fresh snow comes the wind and pure wintry appeal today.

I drove to Morrisville for some errands and RT 100 was mostly covered with blowing snow to the point that they were still plowing the road at 4pm with the sun shining.

I've never seen so many BLSN obs out of MVL ASOS but Ginxy style appeal out there with low visibility blowing snow and ground blizzard type conditions at times.

March_22_MVL.jpg.a2cd1dbffb0f8c06e609fa9513b8df4f.jpg

Might be one of the last days of the season that really feels like this.  Cold temps with afternoon readings between 8F and 12F on the valley floor...blowing snow....fresh powder...all good stuff.

45 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Man what a full-on Ginxy style winter day in late March.

As adk and I were talking about yesterday there was plenty of low level moisture left over for the arctic front and NW flow to act on overnight and dropped a wind-blown Advisory level snow last night of 3-5" in the towns all around the Mansfield-Bolton stretch of the Greens.  The jackpots were the higher terrain of the ski resorts with Bolton/Stowe/Smuggs seeing 7" overnight.

March_22.thumb.png.0456f572bab50b0aab4b3df8e3fd0b85.png

Funny how sometimes I'd track something that drops 3-5" for days on the models, then there are the times when it comes with very little fanfare.  CoCoRAHS showing 0.2-0.33" type liquid with this snow so while powder it wasn't pure fluff.  Looks and feels like a clipper snows.

Along with the fresh snow comes the wind and pure wintry appeal today.

I drove to Morrisville for some errands and RT 100 was mostly covered with blowing snow to the point that they were still plowing the road at 4pm with the sun shining.

I've never seen so many BLSN obs out of MVL ASOS but Ginxy style appeal out there with low visibility blowing snow and ground blizzard type conditions at times.

March_22_MVL.jpg.a2cd1dbffb0f8c06e609fa9513b8df4f.jpg

Might be one of the last days of the season that really feels like this.  Cold temps with afternoon readings between 8F and 12F on the valley floor...blowing snow....fresh powder...all good stuff.

Mid winter all day, loved it, sun burn wind burn  thighs burn, #winning 

IMG_flvybs.jpg

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Yes, I'm wondering how windy the past 2 months have been relative to average for Feb/March. 

Saw another tree fell and killed a school bus driver in Avon CT. Maybe my anecdotally memory but that is the 5th fatality by tree into motorist this year. I don't remember a winter like this for wind deaths

Maybe Ryan would know. 

Archived