Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

20 hours ago, dendrite said:

I hope we can radiate or something early on Tue night. It looks like a bush league early midnight high Wednesday otherwise. I hate wasting afternoon record low max potential on cheap 5z highs. 3/22 is a very vulnerable one at CON too...a 26F sandwiched between teens and low 20s.

GFS says we're cooked on that - each run seems to push the CAA back another couple hours.  I lost impressively chilly maxes on the 4th and especially the 11th, why not the 22nd.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was completely unaware of just how cold this March has been relative to normal.  Going to use the MVL ASOS numbers as they are only a few miles away at a similar elevation to me.

Maybe because its getting warmer out and the sun is getting stronger that I didn't realize it, but normals are rising a lot faster than we have been.

MVL is -6.6 on the month so far and over the next 48-hours that won't get any higher.

I also just realized that MVL's lowest temperature of the winter occurred a couple days ago on March 18th with -11F...there was a -10F in January that is 2nd coldest  That's shocking to me, I guess I hadn't been paying attention but the past few winters have all had several -20s type mornings.  Not this year.  But for March 18th to have the lowest temperature of the month is crazy.

March has also had 7 days with minimum temperatures of 0F or lower...January is the next closest with 5 days.  February only had 2. 

Average temperatures (mean of highs and lows) yield the following values:

January...24.7F (+8.8)

February...24.8F (+6.2)

March...19.9F (-6.6)

I honestly didn't realize just how much of a pattern change had occurred this month from the winter's regime.  Whether you consider it a pattern change or not, something has changed in a big way to make March colder than January and February so far.  With another cold shot coming tomorrow and another chance for sub-zero minimum temperatures coming up as we get into late March, its pretty shocking once you look at the numbers.

I'm also shocked at how much snow we were able to get in January and February given those temperature departures.  The mountain had one of the best runs of snowfall in recent memory with 3 straight weeks of measurable snowfall every 24 hours in the late January to February period.  I guess when it snows I just don't pay attention to temperature departures as much....had no idea of how extreme the temperatures were this winter on the warm side and now the cold side relative to normal.

Since we don't have a lawn thread yet this year I'll throw this here.  I moved to a new house over the fall and the lot needs a lot of new seeding. It was to late in the fall to seed and I'd like to get some down this spring.

I'd pretty much take snow at anytime but now I'm wishing for consistent days above freezing so I can grow some new grass. I guess I have a few more weeks at least before I can throw down some seed and fertilizer. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

March has been cold down here too. We had a few positive days and today will be one of them, but few and far between. It looks like March will be colder than Feb here from an actual temp value standpoint. 

It's impressive to have colder March temps than February, no matter how warm February was.  I'd love to do it up here but still a week left after this cold snap.  

I think having a slightly elevated radiator location can really help in these "fresh deep powder snowpack" situations and I'm sure. It's not as radiator status as the calm hollows at 1k-2k spots but between here and MVL averages 700-800ft in a wide flat Valley between two 3k-4k ridgelines radiates decently.  That's been helping lately as these cold air masses maximize their potential that way.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's impressive to have colder March temps than February, no matter how warm February was.  I'd love to do it up here but still a week left after this cold snap.  

I think having a slightly elevated radiator location can really help in these "fresh deep powder snowpack" situations and I'm sure. It's not as radiator status as the calm hollows at 1k-2k spots but between here and MVL averages 700-800ft in a wide flat Valley between two 3k-4k ridgelines radiates decently.  That's been helping lately as these cold air masses maximize their potential that way.

We haven't radiated here, but it gets harder to radiate this time of year. Things seem to stay more mixed. I wish we had this sustained cold in mid winter. It's been a bizzare winter here with just enough cold for timed snow events, but plenty of cutters to ruin the pack party.  But once again we were able to grab a few significant events. We didn't get the 30-40" bomb that you got, but many areas have had at least 3 double digit events. For this area you have to go back to 11-12 to find a winter that failed in that department(meaning a double digit event). Before that, it was 06-07.  I do fear the regression. It may simply be in the form of low end warning events while the interior gets crushed...or perhaps **** winters. I dunno, but it's coming in some shape or form. For now, I'll enjoy the ride.

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Or just go the Reddit route with +1 and -1. Or a heart and a weenie with cross bones.

There is still the other style available with the red and green like/dislike arrows.  I call it hugs or hurtyhurtz mode.

Might be worth enabling it just to watch Tip have a meltdown if one of his posts gets disliked too much.

Archived