• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Typical early-spring climo weather today; Cool, raw, windy and just a few peeks of sun. I think we ended up with 40" on the dot here for the winter season. That's not too bad really but I think myself and many others around me have been spoiled by all the overperformers of the last few years. It's nice to see our brothers to the north and west finally getting in on some action this season. Grats to you guys! I'm ready for some good spring soaking rains and warm sun against my sun-starved face.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Snowedin said:

Typical early-spring climo weather today; Cool, raw, windy and just a few peeks of sun. I think we ended up with 40" on the dot here for the winter season. That's not too bad really but I think myself and many others around me have been spoiled by all the overperformers of the last few years. It's nice to see our brothers to the north and west finally getting in on some action this season. Grats to you guys! I'm ready for some good spring soaking rains and warm sun against my sun-starved face.

You had way more than 40". You had at least 55-60 on my count. 

Did we really? Man, I must not been as diligent as I thought with keeping tabs on snow amounts. I was on vacation in early Feb though and apparently that was a very busy week around here in terms of wintry weather. Might have to take a second look at the event totals for that week.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Mostly sunny now. Better than the overcast and nuisance snow progged days ago.

could not disagree any more -

...ha, see how that double negative parses out will ya.

yeah, it's pretty amazing here too.  Mentioned this in the other thread - classic fake warmth days of early spring, with summer sun baking through winter air masses. Find a protected nook and enjoy.

Lots of great pics from the board peeps the past few days. We're pushing 40F today, but with the deep blue skies it feels nice in the sun with a vest and tee. Of course in a few hours I'll be back to the hoodie, but this weather isn't too bad in March if it can't snow. In a few more weeks maybe we can get the UML students a little more scantily clad for Tippy. 

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Lots of great pics from the board peeps the past few days. We're pushing 40F today, but with the deep blue skies it feels nice in the sun with a vest and tee. Of course in a few hours I'll be back to the hoodie, but this weather isn't too bad in March if it can't snow. In a few more weeks maybe we can get the UML students a little more scantily clad for Tippy. 

This weather is borderline epic, haha.

Low of 0F and a high of 42F so far.  Only clouds seen were a low level stratus deck over in New Hampshire seen from the top of Mansfield.

I love these sunny days with huge diurnal swings.  Yesterday did 38/-11 for a range of 49 degrees.

Lows last three days have been 0/-11/0 and highs have been above freezing, lol. 

Was out in Hull this afternoon and really sharp line of snow vs no snow right at coast. Very little snow in hull vs full coverage here. You actually could look west along the coastline and see nothing in hingham, but then snow covered in Weymouth. Not sure I've ever seen such a sharp like but neat to see. Beautiful evening now. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Lots of boys in low hanging cargoes, tatts, and ribbed tanks

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Even with weekend of snow and 30's just no melting. Man snow is good for so many different reasons. Can't keep 4 inches of fluff in Jan with tenps in 20's.. but can keep paste in late Morch. Crazy

Well its going to take some time to melt widespread 1.5"+ SWE and very low humidity with temps in the 30s won't do it.

I bet south facing spots though, especially like steep areas or road sides are getting torched pretty good.  At least those are the spots up here that you can start to tell the effects of the September sun.

This is the time of year though you start to see some real variability in snow depth as the solar effects really magnify local topography, aspects, and measuring locations.

Looking through CoCoRAHS around New England you start to see local variations that are like 50% of a neighbor like in SNE a 4" next to a 9.5" or further north like 17" next to 8" or 24" near a 14"...it'll only get larger as we go on and sunny properties melt out while sheltered or shaded yards hold onto deep cover.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well its going to take some time to melt widespread 1.5"+ SWE and very low humidity with temps in the 30s won't do it.

I bet south facing spots though, especially like steep areas or road sides are getting torched pretty good.  At least those are the spots up here that you can start to tell the effects of the September sun.

Yes, this is very apparent here in NYC. North-facing areas are still 3-4" but buildings have no snow cover on south facing lawns. Parks still have full snow cover.

The low humidity and high SWE have helped, but it was 50F on Friday, 40F Saturday, and 50F today. That does damage with a September sun.

Really tough to score this season here. On just pure season snow total A-. We are almost at the 2015 totals. Around 300cms which is well above normal. On a feel and tone of winter C. Hard to love this winter despite the couple of big storms and total snowfall. The frequent meltoffs and torches that left for horrible retention, put this winter in the ho hum category. All this snow and hardly more than a few weeks of snow cover at any given time, puts a sour spin on things. Oh well. Could have been a lot worse.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:34 AM, CoastalWx said:

Temps sucked. December wasn't that great and lots of melt in between some good storms. Snowfall was decent in my hood with even more to the south. Boston and north shore probably got a mini shaft. At least we had some fun storms, but definitely left some on the table.

Did better with temps up our way - my average for the period Dec. 1 thru yesterday is 0.2F above my 19-yr average, with 4 markedly abnormal months combining for near normal.  Dec was -3.8, Jan +5.9, Feb +3.5, and Mar 1-19 the farthest of at -7.4.  Unless we get some 50-60° wx late this month, I see the 4 "snow months" coming in almost exactly on avg.  With snowfall at 130% of avg and SDDs heading for 4th highest of 19 winters, this season will grade out at B-level, with plus/minus depending on April's small influence.  Also helping the grade is having 3 snowfalls of 15"+, only the 3rd time I've seen that happen, others were 1960-61 (NNJ) and 2000-01.

Folks elsewhere may snicker, but here it was 2014-15 that left a lot on the table snow-wise (though it had all the cold one might wish for.)

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Did better with temps up our way - my average for the period Dec. 1 thru yesterday is 0.2F above my 19-yr average, with 4 markedly abnormal months combining for near normal.  Dec was -3.8, Jan +5.9, Feb +3.5, and Mar 1-19 the farthest of at -7.4.  Unless we get some 50-60° wx late this month, I see the 4 "snow months" coming in almost exactly on avg.  With snowfall at 130% of avg and SDDs heading for 4th highest of 19 winters, this season will grade out at B-level, with plus/minus depending on April's small influence.  Also helping the grade is having 3 snowfalls of 15"+, only the 3rd time I've seen that happen, others were 1960-61 (NNJ) and 2000-01.

Folks elsewhere may snicker, but here it was 2014-15 that left a lot on the table snow-wise (though it had all the cold one might wish for.)

See that's where it hurts. Jan and Feb were torch months. It just seemed like when it snowed, it melted away quickly except for the two week run in Feb and now this most recent storm. December was rather lackluster here on the coast.  My grade would change of the models were correct later this weekend. :)

On 3/18/2017 at 0:07 AM, OceanStWx said:

To avoid cluttering the model thread, I pulled this over here.

It looks like the early reviews on the blizzard verification where that the northern stream wave came in stronger, forced a larger ridge out ahead of it, and kept the southern stream from escaping east too quickly. 

Eventually at the short lead times (inside 24 hours) the significant convection with the southern stream helped enhance the ridge ahead of the northern stream wave even more. 

I follow this logic, but how do we explain the superior performance of the mesos outside of 24 hr?  Or was this a case of the mesos being right for the wrong reason(s) (excluding the convection trend inside 24 hrs) ? 

I still have suspicion that the early occlusion of the h500 low relative to the coastal surface reflection played a significant role in the modeling error. Is it possible that synoptic wave development via packing of the thickness gradient leading to positive feedback and further surface pressure falls was adversely affected/disrupted  by the premature occlusion? This then lead to the best surface pressure falls being further west, in an area collocated with the deepest convection? 

After 50" and change this winter, roughly double climo down here, I'm contented to let it go. This sort of weather, with earthy scents and trilling birds, sets a man thinking of salt breezes and full sails, of tee times and tiki torches, of Pimms cups and blazing hot sand. So say I, call forth summer! And may you see many sunshine days.

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

you are correct about the south facing spots for sure but holding onto solid snow cover for a solid week tomorrow mid to late morning is not too shabby for mid March and the peak depth here last Tuesday afternoon of 11 inches

serious man snow and some pretty serious cold until today anyways

I hope we can radiate or something early on Tue night. It looks like a bush league early midnight high Wednesday otherwise. I hate wasting afternoon record low max potential on cheap 5z highs. 3/22 is a very vulnerable one at CON too...a 26F sandwiched between teens and low 20s.

Brown landscape and mud does absolutely zero for me...so I am happy to keep the pack as long as possible. Hopefully some reinforcements this weekend.

Once the weather actually becomes conductive for stuff like golf, then I'm fine with it gone...but in our climate, that's usually like the 3rd week of April unless we get pretty lucky early in the month.

Archived