Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

45.8 vs 39.2 in Boston

Other than a spectacular 4 hours on Feb 9, this season overall feels disappointing.

Was it the decent start in December followed by a warm Jan and Feb?

Was it wasted BN cold in March with 2 modeled potentials ultimately disappointing?

Are we too spoiled by the last 10-12 years and are just feeling regression to climo?

All of the above

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

45.8 vs 39.2 in Boston

Other than a spectacular 4 hours on Feb 9, this season overall feels disappointing.

Was it wasted BN cold in March with 2 modeled potentials ultimately disappointing?

Are we too spoiled by the last 10-12 years and are just feeling regression to climo?

All of the above

Glad we don't live there

8 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

45.8 vs 39.2 in Boston

All of the above

Temps sucked. December wasn't that great and lots of melt in between some good storms. Snowfall was decent in my hood with even more to the south. Boston and north shore probably got a mini shaft. At least we had some fun storms, but definitely left some on the table.

a few inches above avg, regardless of ridiculous over measuring at "official" stations nearby....totally meh winter

wasted cold in March is becoming a common theme, at least we broke the streak the other day by having the first widespread central/western interior march snow since 2007 and really 2001

16 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

45.8 vs 39.2 in Boston

All of the above

at least this is an honest post

3 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

a few inches above avg, regardless of ridiculous over measuring at "official" stations nearby....totally meh winter

wasted cold in March is becoming a common theme, at least we broke the streak the other day by having the first widespread central/western interior march snow since 2007 and really 2001

Lol what's your average in March cuz you wasted what this month 18 inches? You won't ever be happy unless you get 50 feet. Your expectations are so far from your climo it's funny. 

This winter felt like I was just a few miles away from a number of significant events that were focused either too far north or too far south. A typical winter I suppose...living on the edge...but could have been epic. This past storm has left a decent snow pack going into spring, which is something. Ready to move on now. Thanks to everyone for their analysis...it's definitely helpful and always interesting.

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Temps sucked. December wasn't that great and lots of melt in between some good storms. Snowfall was decent in my hood with even more to the south. Boston and north shore probably got a mini shaft. At least we had some fun storms, but definitely left some on the table.

Good way to sum it up. We did have some fun storms, at least exciting to track which is better than ratter seasons.

Maybe my post sounded like a complaint, but it's more of a mood set up by wasted potential. I remember some posters here even hinting that Feb 2015 might be walking in the door based on some EPS runs beginning of March, which was silly to expect anything close, but we did have potentials that either fell >50% short or completely vanished.

Watch we get a bowling ball to make this all moot.

29 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Above average snow

Below average retention (IMHO)

Temps in Jan Feb sucked

3 nice storms for me.     

I had this winter earlier as a C-...upgraded to a B- thanks to Tuesday.  

Yeah, Tuesday gets me to B- I suppose.  I'm at least 10" above normal on the season.

One decent January event could have made this a B+ winter because December was good out this way.  

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol what's your average in March cuz you wasted what this month 18 inches? You won't ever be happy unless you get 50 feet. Your expectations are so far from your climo it's funny. 

If I had gotten 3 from the first event and a real 15 from the second then I would have 18 and would be happy and feel less bad about the wasted cold, it wasn't like I was thinking I was gonna get two feet on Tuesday....I know better

But there is some bad luck with the terrible snow/liquid ratios this past Tuesday, def some wasted inches there...6-7 to 1 with temps in the 20s...I figured low but not that low

15 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I'm ready to stick a fork in this winter.

After the Fail last week... and the pump fake by all models less than 48 hours out from tomorrow's fantasy event.... I've had enough.

Unless an April 97 type storm comes along... I'll pass on any nuisance slop at this point 

:lol:

I wonder if it is worth it, or if there would be reasonable contribution to sort of a "Spring appreciation and depreciation" thread?

I kind of want to start one, ...being someone that drops the fan-fair for winter pretty abruptly at this time of year, and enjoys following the progression into the warm season - provided there is one... ha!  I mean, said thread can certainly contain spurning April - hence the 'depreciation.'   Some times that latter is remarkable.

Anyway, tomorrow is could be a sneaking gem day... Not sure it would qualify as a top 10er because the temperatures, but, the Euro from last night and the last couple of NAM solutions are on the same page for a 310 degree offshore wind component at only 10 kts, with cloud level RH < 50 %.  H850's are around +1 or +2 C at max ...though I'm not sure the mixing depth gets that tall over a snow pack in the interior, despite these parametrics.  

Point is, that looks like a couple hours of dandy weather in higher sun angles ...HUGE MOS bust day would be expected if the ground were bare - not sure if the snow pack will offset, but... if the wind is light, you may not notice.  But you'll see gutters flowing..   SE zones where the pack is less or negligible might cook.  I could see Taunton claiming a victory or even Logan, with that offshore component.

Might be a bit tedious for some, but bootleg warm affected days are an interesting spring phenomenon to me.  

Archived