Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Not going yet. I need a tripod and will have to do a project in the backyard to get it in the ground. I want to get it above the 6' tripod. Not sure if they sell another extension? Tripod will be on roof. I feel like it will be a lightning rod though..lol.

Might want to check Lowes/Home Depot.  They have 1 1/4" galvanized steel pipe in various lengths up to 12 feet. Rather than use the two 3' pieces that come with the tripod, you could just get one nice 10' or 12' pipe.  You'd just need to add some guy wires.

I whipped up a nice temporary 12' anemometer mast that I stuck on my deck back in December.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Might want to check Lowes/Home Depot.  They have 1 1/4" galvanized steel pipe in various lengths up to 12 feet. Rather than use the two 3' pieces that come with the tripod, you could just get one nice 10' or 12' pipe.  You'd just need to add some guy wires.

I whipped up a nice temporary 12' anemometer mast that I stuck on my deck back in December.

sexist now known as person wires

8 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Isn't it transmitting though? What's the wires for?

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:21 PM, ORH_wxman said:

Actually, you'd technically be wrong

Mawintertemps.png

but what the graph doesn't show, is that we'll get intense cold shots, like this one this weekend.....but then the rest of the time it's above average, so overall the average isn't warmer, but on a whole the winter feels warmer because there's only brief intense shots of cold, but the rest is mild. You see, even graphs are deceptive!

16 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

but what the graph doesn't show, is that we'll get intense cold shots, like this one this weekend.....but then the rest of the time it's above average, so overall the average isn't warmer, but on a whole the winter feels warmer because there's only brief intense shots of cold, but the rest is mild. You see, even graphs are deceptive!

We've had some winters recently with very long, persistent stretches of below normal temps. Your post doesn't make a lot of sense anyway. A brief cold shot isn't going to dominate a stretch of mild temps to average out below normal.

The only thing I don't like about that chart is that it starts off with the super nino of 97-98 and follows with some torchy years...smells a bit cherry picked. I think they're actually using DJF 96-97 as the first year on the chart since ASOS/METAR took over here in the summer of 1996. I guess it's easier to compare apples to apples with regards to climo data and the instrumentation used.

2 minutes ago, JJBASHB said:

Wiz, are you connected to wifi or are you using mobile data?  It won't load on my phone either unless I'm connected to my home wifi. 

Using mobile data.  It's seemed to work before but only a week or two ago it hasn't worked.  Even on wifi it doesn't seem to work.  Just loads a blank white page 

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

The only thing I don't like about that chart is that it starts off with the super nino of 97-98 and follows with some torchy years...smells a bit cherry picked. I think they're actually using DJF 96-97 as the first year on the chart since ASOS/METAR took over here in the summer of 1996. I guess it's easier to compare apples to apples with regards to climo data and the instrumentation used.

where do they get their "massachusetts" data

11 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Wind woke me up.... this is nuts.  Too northerly for my anemometer but this is easily 45+ gusts.

Looks like the temp started to creep back up just as the wind surged.

low of 3.9, currently 6.

NHEC says 13 people are out here. I can see the guy across the road has his tv on. 

Archived