Newest Member
    joxey
Spring Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Winter overall blows in New England now.  It just seems it's not even cold anymore, maybe a few cold shots here and there...but not wall to wall decent cold like the good ole' days, you know? Maybe a January Thaw, sure, but not like months and months of thaw with little tidbits of arctic air sprinkled on us once in a while.  You can throw up your charts and graphs and stuff, but I use my eyes, and winter has mos def got warmer as a whole the last 20 years. 

Actually, you'd technically be wrong

Mawintertemps.png

5 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Actually you're both right.  Winters are getting colder overall, but it's Still higher than it used to be.  No?  

Yeah the trend line is def up over the longer term....once you back about 3 decades. And actually, the trend might be closer to flat since the late 1990s after this winter gets factored in since it was another warm one.

But most of his rant was pure weenieism....for one, we just had a winter two years ago where we set the record for the coldest 3 month period Jan-Mar...that's not easy to do. On top of that, we had literally a sustained 20+ inch pack for like 2 months of that winter...peaking over 30 inches in most spots (and over 40 in several), something that was very anomalous....then finally, the idea that we get wire to wire winters with snowpack and no thaws is pretty much a fantasy in SNE. Maybe up in an area like Rangeley, ME they do that, but not here. Interior SNE will do well with snow pack, but it usually is withstanding thaws and going through thaw/freeze cycles. Even in good winters. Two years ago was pretty unique in not getting a single real thaw until the very end once we established snow pack on Jan 24th.

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well the squalls fizzled faster than Legro after his 2nd Swish

Looks like you're actually about to get one. But yeah, these aren't that impressive and I think the low level moisture is the inhibitor here. If we had the winds more SW out ahead of this thing and was able to pool LL moisture, this could have been a high end windex.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like you're actually about to get one. But yeah, these aren't that impressive and I think the low level moisture is the inhibitor here. If we had the winds more SW out ahead of this thing and was able to pool LL moisture, this could have been a high end windex.

Pounding now but models really overdid them today. 

I don't think the trend analysis for New England should matter to any one nearly as much as it does for the whole Globe. That's vastly more important when entertaining the discussion, if we want to be intelligent about matters, compared to taking cherry picked periods out of time and quadrature.  Yeah, I'm aware they were talking about New England - my point is, why do that? 

NASA puts out Global mean temperatures ... replete with anomalies.  

We have been in a relative heat sink compared to most everywhere else for the last 5 years. There are other 'cool nodes' in a domanating warm trend - we just happen to be one of them, much to our enabled blessing. Heh.

In fact, NASA's  "significant events" product actually picked up on the colossal 5 week siege from two years ago, as - relative to the surroundings - a once in a 50 year event. Those kind of outlier events happen in any system in nature.  They are like "rogue waves" in an angry sea .. your rolling over waves, thinking you're going to make through the tempest ... the next thing you know, you're saying hello to a Coast Guard rescue swimmer as you're getting loaded into a meat crate about to be hoisted up to a levitating helicopter - where the hell did that come from?!  

10 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

Quick dusting here, was fun for about 5 minutes

We were dining in Gardner and watched that burst roll through.   Pretty nice for 5 minutes.  Cars and shaded areas coated.     Gone now.

back here at home we could see where our house shades part of our driveway.  That part was coated.  The rest is just wet

14F.   Got about 1/2" of snow.   All the roads up here in Central NH were washed clean of salt after the recent rains.  I haven't been out but I hope they didn't resalt all the roads. .   When the squalls came through just after dark it was in the mid 20's so hopefully it just blew off the roads.  

Friend of mine posted his crocus gardens in full bloom down in Southern Mass.   Wonder how they will stand up to lows around 10F the next couple of months.  Any plant experts?

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It was out when Belichick walked by me.  He even took the time to shake hands. A man of the people. 

I would work for him in a heartbeat. Take the NWS to the promised land. The ECMWF wouldn't know what hit them. 28-3 lead, only to walk away empty handed.

Archived