Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 obs

Avdave

3 hours ago, LithiaWx said:

My mom had a light snow shower this morning in Marietta.  I'm convinced the barrow,  Cherokee,  central Cobb are at just the right trajectory to get these back end light snows.  I see the band setup in the same spot each time.  Of course 20 miles SW in douglasville we didn't see a flake.

there is something about the landscape in the area to funnel these bands right down the same path each time. 

It seems like when the wind is more N or NNW rather than NW we can score.  I've actually seen us get an inch or so a couple of times with those winds.  We can get flurries with a NW wind but the Cumberlands eat up more.  

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, EmersonGA said:

It seems like when the wind is more N or NNW rather than NW we can score.  I've actually seen us get an inch or so a couple of times with those winds.  We can get flurries with a NW wind but the Cumberlands eat up more.  

I think this is correct.  The bands do seem to setup nnw to sse.  It probably is just the right angle to miss the higher terrain and keep some of the showers intact.  I'm obviously talking about very small amounts of snow but it usually never fails. 

Was away on a trip to Texas this past week so I missed the cold weather but I do know that our lowest temp this past week was 24 and Friday morning was 26 and on Monday we had over 2" of rain so I missed an exciting weather week. Currently it is 52/48 and light rain. .08" so far today.

NWS GSPVerified account @NWSGSP 26m26 minutes ago

NWS GSP Retweeted NWS SPC

The Storm Prediction Center has issued a mesoscale discussion for some isolated storms in our area. Severe thunderstorm watch is unlikely.

NWS GSP added,

C7OVzKiX0AANPHh.jpg
NWS SPCVerified account @NWSSPC
2:28pm CDT #SPC_MD 0297 , #vawx #ncwx #wvwx #scwx, https://go.usa.gov/xXBVf 

8 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

No wonder we are still in mod/severe drought ! Not 1 drop of rain from this event

Nothing here either and usually once this kind of pattern starts it takes something big to get us out of it. We already have a 70% chance rain for next Sat, but that one will probably dry up too.

Nice rain this morning then the sun came out and then I thought we would be split this evening but that lone cell that blossomed over Durham/Chapel Hill strengthened nicely and had some nice T & L in NW Cary but only .05" in the bucket back home in SW Wake Co.

Total for the day .31"

Archived