Dano62
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, yoda said:

Trained weather spotters report wind gusts to 70 mph

I am not a trained weather spotter, and my wind gauge is not currently functioning.  That said, that is completely believable based on what came through here.  Strongest winds I've had in a while.

2 hours ago, mattskiva said:

I am not a trained weather spotter, and my wind gauge is not currently functioning.  That said, that is completely believable based on what came through here.  Strongest winds I've had in a while.

1.01" of rain from that storm earlier.  In about 40 minutes.

A few pictures of an interesting little feature looking NW as the storm came in. This was no more than a a couple miles away and had plenty of movement to it.

The storm ended up a falling a little flat in the end. There was decent wind for a couple minutes before the rain started, just as these pictures were taken. Not sure how much rain we had, but there was never a huge downpour, but rather a steady moderate rain with big drops. No hail. Plenty of leaves on the ground.

IMG_6392.JPG

IMG_6393.JPG

IMG_6391.JPG

14 minutes ago, yoda said:

Could someone explain what this means and how to find it in a sounding?  This is from the early morning LWX AFD:

Latest forecast soundings show a bulk of CAPE in the mid and
upper-levels of the atmosphere which suggests large hail is
possible in stronger thunderstorms as well.

I'm not sure, the 12z sounding out of IAD doesn't show CAPE higher in the atmosphere than normal. Most soundings I've seen with CAPE stops about 350 up. 

Capture.JPG

Archived