Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm worried the stuff to the SW will gut whatever weak chances we have along 95 to get anything interesting.

Our goose was cooked before that stuff was a potential killer. We will get some gusty showers later with perhaps an isolated rumble of thunder. I'm getting this Ian "meh" thing down really well now. And it's like 99% accurate! 

5 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Our goose was cooked before that stuff was a potential killer. We will get some gusty showers later with perhaps an isolated rumble of thunder. I'm getting this Ian "meh" thing down really well now. And it's like 99% accurate! 

we're like brothers in arms on this event.   I like the chances well to our west and northwest, but I don't see much hope at all for svr in the DC/Baltimore area.  Instability is modest to begin with, and it will drop off as we go into evening.  The hi-res guidance looks consistently unexcited for us, and I can't ignore that.

1 minute ago, high risk said:

we're like brothers in arms on this event.   I like the chances well to our west and northwest, but I don't see much hope at all for svr in the DC/Baltimore area.  Instability is modest to begin with, and it will drop off as we go into evening.  The hi-res guidance looks consistently unexcited for us, and I can't ignore that.

LWX's AFD seems to disagree with your thinking.  Not doubting your view, I just find it in contrast to what LWX stated in their AFD

1 minute ago, yoda said:

LWX's AFD seems to disagree with your thinking.  Not doubting your view, I just find it in contrast to what LWX stated in their AFD

Except that even in the LWX discussion there's a whole thing about areas "farther east" being more uncertain about severe. Plus, you're assuming that LWX is going to be correct in the first place. When all modeling is running against us you're fighting a losing battle here, Yoda. Somewhere between Cumberland and HGR could still score I think. For YBY and MBY odds are getting lower and lower. We'll still see some gusty showers, though. 

I wish we'd get an actual severe event for a change. I'm so bored.

Just now, Kmlwx said:

Except that even in the LWX discussion there's a whole thing about areas "farther east" being more uncertain about severe. Plus, you're assuming that LWX is going to be correct in the first place. When all modeling is running against us you're fighting a losing battle here, Yoda. Somewhere between Cumberland and HGR could still score I think. For YBY and MBY odds are getting lower and lower. We'll still see some gusty showers, though. 

I wish we'd get an actual severe event for a change. I'm so bored.

Hazardous Weather Outlook
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
416 PM EDT Mon May 1 2017

.DAY ONE...Tonight

There is a slight risk of severe thunderstorms across the entire
area this evening. Isolated severe thunderstorms with damaging
winds, large hail, and an isolated tornado is possible. The
highest confidence for severe thunderstorms is for locations near
and west of Interstate 95.

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

I would say that they emphasized the Blue Ridge and Catoctin Mtns and points west, and I fully agree with that.   They also commented that the setup further east had more uncertainty.    That's pretty fair, as it's unwise for them to write off the event with us in slight risk.

In general, we don't do well with severe with strong S-SW flow like this. Straight line winds are our bread and butter and the vast majority of wind events come with WSW-WNW mid and upper level flow from what I remember. Not saying we can have severe with strong sw flow if there are discrete cells and such but bigger events plow in from the west and not a ribbon streaming up from the south. 

26 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I just hope we get something fun to track before June...

Bob Chill and I want tropical stuff too! COME ON WEATHER. YOU'RE KILLING ME

The good thing about tropical (just like big snowstorms) is it will definitely happen again. No question about it. The crappy part is not knowing what year or decade. 

well, the storm reports map is a kick to the groin.    Huge totals of wind damage north and another to our south.   SPC tried to play "connect the two threat areas" with their watch box, and it didn't work out.     

again, hi-res modeling continues to make huge strides in assessing threats.    The parameters showed a "maybe" threat for our area (strong shear but instability being eliminated by the hour during the evening), but the hi-res guidance was emphatic that we would not see severe.     I won't sit here and say that hi-res guidance is always going to nail it, but when multiple models show a consistent signal, it should be given a fair amount of weight.

today_filtered.gif.png

Archived