SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a beautiful HP Supercell.  $20 says they confirm a brief tornado off it given the preliminary LSRs.  Fun stuff.  What's really intriguing is this subtle boundary that's now stalled from Harper's Ferry SE to Layonstville to Annapolis.  Could prove a focus for a random nocturnal boomer.  

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

SPC moves everyone I-95 and west into Slight Risk for tomorrow.  ENH just to our NW.  Interesting.

Here's a good reason why:

5 hours ago, andyhb said:

Afternoon CAMs for tomorrow are pretty bullish with multiple semi-discrete cells and bowing segments from Upstate NY south into this sub-forum. Shear/trough orientation certainly will be favorable, shouldn't take a lot of instability.

Just now, Amped said:

Problem is the main batch arrives a little late.  Looks like it doesn't get here until 3z or later. Nice setup over The Alleghenies though.  Garret county and Cannon Valley should do well.

Consider that severe threats do tend to come in a touch earlier than modeled a lot of times in our region. Not saying this WILL happen this time - but it's common for a 6pm event to turn into more like 3-5pm. I'm in agreement with you but I'll continue watching with one eye. 

Tomorrow looks okay if the timing can work out and if we can destabilize sufficiently. For now it's a bit late for my liking and LWX is talking about mostly cloudy skies during the day - neither of those gives me a particularly robust feeling for tomorrow. 

NAM nest seems to keep hinting at a good DC area split...of course. 

SPC outlook seems spot on for the time being. Will say that SREF and even the NAM area okay around like 3z tomorrow evening. If we could speed this up a hair I'd be "in"ish

I'm on board with KMLWX (which is appropriate, given the regional severe scale).    Parameters are good, but the CAMs seem to hold our part of the line back to the west, perhaps due a veering LLJ.   The experimental HRRR extension, though, does show an axis further east along which the storm could fire.        

it's hard to ignore that unfavorable signal in the CAM.    Otherwise, I'd be in for sure.

19 minutes ago, high risk said:

I'm on board with KMLWX (which is appropriate, given the regional severe scale).    Parameters are good, but the CAMs seem to hold our part of the line back to the west, perhaps due a veering LLJ.   The experimental HRRR extension, though, does show an axis further east along which the storm could fire.        

it's hard to ignore that unfavorable signal in the CAM.    Otherwise, I'd be in for sure.

Might be a dumb question but where can I view the CAMs? Haven't heard of that acronym until today

3 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I don't think you're ever not in - to be fair ;)

As long as a model is spitting out CAPE you're in. 

Lol 

Nah, I like tomorrow evening.  Long curved hodograph and nice 0-6km shear combined with decent SBCAPE suggests to me a stormy evening into night with severe possible... mainly damaging wind but an isolated tornado or two isn't out of the question

Archived