Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Damn, you are bearish. The threat level's never gonna get off the ground thanks to you.

FALL IN LINE DUDE

:P 

Question: If one person in a level is out, but another is in(kmlwx is out but high risk is in, for example), do we still move on to the next level?

12 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Tie goes to the Debbie Downer :( 

If we're only at YODA tomorrow and we rock blame KMLWX

Define rocking though - if a lone cell goes through Yodaville and 90% of us get absolutely nothing I'll consider that a 50/50 split. 

I'll only consider a single cell a win if I get great pictures of the cell from afar or something similar.

8 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

High res guidance really hammering an early push of convection for everyone (5am - 9am), then shunting the afternoon stuff off well to our south.  Might be another wasted day?  My confidence is shaken.

And now the chips start to fall into place. EJ will pull his support for the event. 

6 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

High res guidance really hammering an early push of convection for everyone (5am - 9am), then shunting the afternoon stuff off well to our south.  Might be another wasted day?  My confidence is shaken.

Latest HRRR takes the line through between 3 and 4am in DC.  Also upped the QPF some which is good to see.  However, it does seem to be on an island compared to other guidance.

Just now, MN Transplant said:

Latest HRRR takes the line through between 3 and 4am in DC.  Also upped the QPF some which is good to see.  However, it does seem to be on an island compared to other guidance.

1730 SPC disco did hint at morning storms in its disco... granted it is more toward PA, but still:

FARTHER EAST, MODELS SUGGEST SPARSE STORM COVERAGE FROM OH EAST INTO PA AFTER MORNING STORMS BUT ISOLATED SEVERE STORMS ARE POSSIBLE DURING THE AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING OWING TO A CONDITIONALLY SUPPORTIVE BUOYANCY/SHEAR SETUP.  

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
246 PM EDT Fri Apr 28 2017

.SYNOPSIS...

High pressure will slide off the southeast coast Saturday. A
cold front will move over Pennsylvania Saturday before lifting
back northward Sunday. A stronger cold front will move through
the region Monday. Canadian high pressure will build over the
area during midweek.

&&

.NEAR TERM /TONIGHT/...

Sunny skies for the remainder of the afternoon, and continued
mostly clear this evening. Clouds will increase after midnight
ahead of a warm front moving into OH. Almost all models keep the
deep moisture to our north, but the HRRR has consistently been
painting a picture of convection moving east of the mountains
around midnight...moving through the Bay between 3-4 am. My
confidence level on that occurring is not good, but given its
consistency I feel I have to keep a mention of isolated
thunderstorms across the northern part of the forecast area.

Lows primarily in the 60s, but the cities may not drop below 70.
This has never happened before in DC - record high min is 69
set in 1896.

The year 1896 holds the record high min for Baltimore for five
consecutive nights in April. They did only drop to 70 on April
19, 1896.

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I heard 3-5" for Mappyland, .5 for Baltimore and bupkis imby but I can't confirm. My internet is down so I can't post model maps. Can you pull up wxbell for me?

Is it January or April? :lol: 

24 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH if we don't talk about it, maybe it won't happen. 

FWIW, the RPM does have have the morning convection (3A-7A) race through the southern half of VA with ZILCH in the afternoon. It's the RPM/HRRR vs. everybody else. Will be interesting to see how it all unfolds, but it is very interesting that the 3km NAM has all the convection in PA. Normally you'd see the NAM and RPM somewhat in line (since RPM is based off NAM initial conditions and a few other things). That's not the case this time... Which is really odd. It showed it last night as well and has been firm in its stance (RPM, that is) for giving us storms tomorrow morning. 

mgWeb_WRF_20170428-150000_ANE_ECONUS_F00180000_PwinterThickness_R4km.png

mgWeb_WRF_20170428-150000_ANE_ECONUS_F00170000_PwinterThickness_R4km.png

Tomorrow afternoon's potential is pretty much going to be determined by what happens tomorrow morning.  Looks like there could be some shortwave subsidence (which is also kind of hinted at in some soundings) throughout the morning and afternoon hours and with rising heights tomorrow it may remain quite capped.  If any updrafts can break the cap, however, they will take off incredibly quickly.  I would guess we would see something go from a shower to severe in the matter of a few scans.  I could picture like near 70 dbz up to like 30K or something...if of course a storm were to develop.  

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

18z HRRR was more like other guidance, with the main game up north in PA. 

18z NAM arguing there is no CAPE up there... all the MLCAPE/SBCAPE is down here.  Most of the soundings look like loaded guns for the region... esp as ML Lapse rates are around 6.5C/KM to 7.0 C/KM... so a bit of an EML moving through?  MLCAPE is 2000-2500 and 0-6km shear is excellent... decent SRH and SWEAT index is >400

Archived