Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BlizzardNole said:

Was just down in an office of our building that faces Gonzaga -- two guys were watching and saw the sections of roof come off and fly away.  A person around the corner on our floor saw the debris flying through the air.  I am thinking EF-0 tornado.  There are fire trucks there and they have blocked North Cap in both directions.  Also:

-- saw a bunch of those newspaper dispenser boxes that had been thrown down the street

-- someone said a hotdog cart was blown out into the street and hit a car

I would not be shocked if they found a small tornado.  There was an area of very low clouds (<1,000 ft) with very impressive movement that passed just about right over the White House.  The clouds were mostly moving rapidly from the SW to NE, but there was also a significant upward component, and some erratic movement in other directions.  From my point of view (16th and I St., NW), I didn't see enough rotation to conclusively call it a wall cloud/funnel cloud, but the cloud motion was unlike anything I've seen before.  I have a video, but it looks like my phone camera mostly focused on the rain on my window rather than the clouds.  When I get the file on my computer, I'll see if there's anything worth sharing.

2 hours ago, yoda said:

Just got a report of a tree down on Burke Lake Road and Rolling Road by one of our Fairfax bus drivers

Wife said there's a big tree down in our neighborhood. Also, I'm sitting on the VRE between Backlick and Alexandria because the earlier train is stuck at Rolling Road due to a tree down on the tracks.

Wife also reported "hail everywhere." My response: "Wow! Did you get a picture?" :lol:

1 hour ago, mappy said:

3.41" total. See if anything else falls today. Impressive

"Only" 1.95" here but I'm glad it's not more.  My sump pump is going off every 20 seconds right now.  I stood outside by the drain watching the water pour out counting off the seconds while looking at my neighbor's yard where he's clogged up the gully that drains our backyards to the sewer with pieces of cinder block and roofing material.  People are generally stupid, but GD he's beyond stupid.  The only thing that makes me smile is that his yard is a lake right now and I just know his basement is filled with water.

And then people wonder why I have two dozen leyland cypresses between my yard and his.  I've got about 8 years left before retirement and as much as I love my house, I really think I may have to move to Mappy or PSU land just to have more acreage.

"Only" 1.95" here but I'm glad it's not more.  My sump pump is going off every 20 seconds right now.  I stood outside by the drain watching the water pour out counting off the seconds while looking at my neighbor's yard where he's clogged up the gully that drains our backyards to the sewer with pieces of cinder block and roofing material.  People are generally stupid, but GD he's beyond stupid.  The only thing that makes me smile is that his yard is a lake right now and I just know his basement is filled with water.

And then people wonder why I have two dozen leyland cypresses between my yard and his.  I've got about 8 years left before retirement and as much as I love my house, I really think I may have to move to Mappy or PSU land just to have more acreage.

Damn, sorry to hear that. Bad neighbors are the worst. We have one behind us that shares maybe a foot of fence with us. Have two large dogs and an electric fence. Their dogs have ended up in our yard countless of times and the owners don't give a rats ass. Really a shame as their dogs are super sweet.

Come on north, sir! We should still be here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, mappy said:

Damn, sorry to hear that. Bad neighbors are the worst. We have one behind us that shares maybe a foot of fence with us. Have two large dogs and an electric fence. Their dogs have ended up in our yard countless of times and the owners don't give a rats ass. Really a shame as their dogs are super sweet.

Come on north, sir! We should still be here :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it up there. And there are very few bad dogs, but there is a plethora of bad owners.

10 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

No power.  This is down the street.

IMG_4222.thumb.JPG.5d156ae350d44acc80be8dd686700a6b.JPG

I guess I shouldn't complain. :(

Archived