Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

Seems to me like the storms to the south keep approaching DC and then weakening because they are running into colder air.

Definitely. It's still pretty stable north of EZF. That should change with the main event line in the next couple hours. It's getting going right now. Hopefully it delivers for somebody on the forum. 

12 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

0.57" precip so far.  59/58.  Looks like the line that Bob shows in the HRRR is near CHO.

That's our main event (stating obvious). We'll see how it goes. Meso's are pretty aggressive with it as it works through. Very nice rain event so far either way. The whole area is going to green up big time over the next week. 

Old wooden ship that half sunk in Curtis Creek (near the AA/Balt. City line) is on fire due to a lightning strike.

From what I was told, fire department is there, but they can't do much from the shoreline.

Update: Fireboat on scene.

IMG_20170406_113313.jpg

IMG_20170406_113655.jpg

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

One of the more interesting things about the line coming through later is the orientation. It's going to be inverted from what we usually see in these parts. Pretty cool. 

Lightning is a bit more densely packed down there already.

SVR warning up for east of Fredericksburg into southern MD.

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

One of the more interesting things about the line coming through later is the orientation. It's going to be inverted from what we usually see in these parts. Pretty cool. 

8 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Lightning is a bit more densely packed down there already.

SVR warning up for east of Fredericksburg into southern MD.

Can either one of you explain what you mean by the line being inverted?  Do you mean S to N movement instead of the usual W to E?  And I guess when you say that the lightning is "densely packed" that there is a bunch of lightning down there?

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Can either one of you explain what you mean by the line being inverted?  Do you mean S to N movement instead of the usual W to E?  And I guess when you say that the lightning is "densely packed" that there is a bunch of lightning down there?

It's pretty rare for us to get a line of strong storms rotating around cyclonic flow centered to our NW. The SE-NW orientation and movement is backwards from what we typically see (NE-SW)

3 minutes ago, yoda said:

Just now, Bob Chill said:

It's pretty rare for us to get a line of strong storms rotating around cyclonic flow centered to our NW. The SE-NW orientation and movement is backwards from what we typically see (NE-SW)

Bob already got the first part.  Yes, there does seem to be a good amount of lightning down there per RadarScope, though it doesn't appear that cloud tops are very impressive yet via GOES infrared.  You can see the intense shear in the visible loop.

Archived