joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2017 Severe Thread

mappy

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The line of convection in WV will probably fragment as it crosses the highest terrain, which could produce tornadic supercells moving rapidly into the I-95 corridor mid-day and early afternoon. I suspect a zone just south of DCA towards RIC might be most at risk for this but a second track could form in MD and se PA. The Midwest trailing low is deepening and has a prominent dry tongue feature now in eastern IN, western OH and I expect a second vigorous to severe squall line to develop in the surface trough now moving through w/c IN around 18z when it reaches w/c OH. This would be the focus for later damaging wind gusts through the Mid-Atlantic. So essentially there are two periods for very strong winds, one around 18-20z and the second one around 23z. 

6 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

The 14Z HRRR seems to be predicting a tornadic cell in central MoCo at 2P today.  Strong cell on the sim radar, a bullseye of 0-1km helicity into the ~500 range, and a bullseye of SigTor 3+

That would be a bullseye on me. Doesn't surprise me - 75 degrees now and full sunshine in Gaithersburg.

14 minutes ago, caviman2201 said:

The 14Z HRRR seems to be predicting a tornadic cell in central MoCo at 2P today.  Strong cell on the sim radar, a bullseye of 0-1km helicity into the ~500 range, and a bullseye of SigTor 3+

A Bob Chill wedge? I'll assume that propagates towards Eastern HoCo. Gulp. 

Edit: Olney could be a great spot today for chasing. Maybe stop in at Waredaca. Farmhouse brewery yes, but some flat views all around with other farms near by. Has a bit of Midwest feel. Was there for some severe last summer. Got great pictures. 

Archived