Newest Member
    Dano62
T-Storm/Squall Line Threat II 3/1

dmillz25

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jason WX said:

February is the new NE severe season lol.

I want to see it like it is in the Plains, a tornado warning quickly followed by a blizzard warning- all from the same storm :D  I wonder if that's ever happened here?  Or at least a severe thunderstorm warning quickly followed by a winter storm warning? Or any of the above combo lol.

Upton and Mt.Holly are taking note. HWO posted for much of the region minus far eastern areas. (although still a special marine HWO even for eastern LI waters)

This Hazardous Weather Outlook is for southern Connecticut,
northeast New Jersey and southeast New York.

.DAY ONE...Tonight.

Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

Thunderstorms forming in an unseasonably mild air mass in advance of
a strong cold front could produce damaging winds Wednesday afternoon
and evening.

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

Spotter activation may be needed on Wednesday.

1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I hope someone else gets the brunt... no offense lol

You knew a pretty serious squall line was coming through, surprised you didn't take better precautions as far as outside furniture is concerned. I know that I always make sure that anything that can easily become airborn is stored and things like patio tables and such I tie down.

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

You knew a pretty serious squall line was coming through, surprised you didn't take better precautions as far as outside furniture is concerned. I know that I always make sure that anything that can easily become airborn is stored and things like patio tables and such I tie down.

I didn't realize a 12 burner 200lbs grill was "easily" made airborn.

also Idk what your talking about furniture precautions? I didn't have any furniture damaged or outside to begin with.... it was my grill, back patio railing, a piece of siding, and chimney cap... not one of those could have been prevented or stored "somewhere else" lol...

about 10 miles to my SW there was a 6 plane pile-up from the same microburst tossing small airplanes around like toys... idk what tying my grill down woulda done even if I had thought there was a chance it could get tossed... 

14 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

also Idk what your talking about furniture precautions? I didn't have any furniture damaged or outside to begin with.... it was my grill, back patio railing, a piece of siding, and chimney cap... not one of those could have been prevented or stored "somewhere else" lol...

about 10 miles to my SW there was a 6 plane pile-up from the same microburst tossing small airplanes around like toys... idk what tying my grill down woulda done even if I had thought there was a chance it could get tossed... 

We lost our chimney cap in the wild 2/25/16 overnight storm-still can't figure out how it blew off.

I apologize for this question lol...

I like to do lightning photography.  Can anyone comment on the lightning threat especially at night?

I know much of this will come down to, potentially, discrete cells.  Wondering if you wizards can gleam any info from soundings or the setup as to whether I should look to get my tripod and camera out somewhere Wednesday night.  Thanks in advance for any discussion you can provide.

13 hours ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

To be fair, using the definition of a microburst it really couldn't be the same one.  That said, this is the first I'm hearing of microburst involved with Saturdays storms around here.  It appeared to me that everything was straight line winds.  When I had the microburst in September of 2014 there was a classic debris pattern of trees, fences, etc (even a cornfield) blown outward from the center in about a one mile diameter.  As for a gas grill, for me at least, I've found that a concrete block on the shelf underneath next to the tank has worked well as an anchor over the years.

15 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Could've been the microburst on 9/6/14 I'm referring to but not certain.  My station recorded at 43mph gust that day which is the highest I've ever recorded in my protected location. 

Several years ago we had a strong front pass through in early April. It snowed like crazy for about 15 minutes and the wind gust were insane. My grill rolled and was tossed with quite a bit of force from one side of my deck to the other and knocked out the entire side railing to my deck.

I do try to live and learn and since then I keep the wheels from my grill attached with bungy cords to my deck so unless the deck itself is taken air born the grill now stays where it's suppose to.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

To be fair, using the definition of a microburst it really couldn't be the same one.  That said, this is the first I'm hearing of microburst involved with Saturdays storms around here.  It appeared to me that everything was straight line winds.  When I had the microburst in September of 2014 there was a classic debris pattern of trees, fences, etc (even a cornfield) blown outward from the center in about a one mile diameter.  As for a gas grill, for me at least, I've found that a concrete block on the shelf underneath next to the tank has worked well as an anchor over the years.

I had a full propane tank attached and sitting under too lol

Archived