Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

iwxchat    2017/03/08 4:43 PM    iembot    
Defiance [Defiance Co, OH] EMERGENCY MNGR reports NON-TSTM WND DMG at 4:29 PM EST -- SEVERAL TREE LIMBS DOWN IN THE CITY OF DEFIANCE CAUSING DAMAGE TO VEHICLES. ROOF BLOWN OFF COUNTY MAINTENANCE BUILDING AT EVERGREEN LANE OFFICE COMPLEX ON EVANSPORT ROAD. SEVERAL ROAD CLOSURES ALSO REPORTED ACROSS DEFIANCE COUNTY DUE TO DOWNED TREES AND POWERLINES.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an extremely impressive event. Outside of Hurricane Ike, probably the most intense widespread non-tstorm wind event around the region since November 12-13, 2003. That night there were several 65-85 MPH gusts in SE MI. Much of Ontario and Western NY were affected by that system as well if I remember correctly.

Per WDIV, there are almost 700,000 people without power across southern Michigan. That is approaching historic levels. 

Edit: 725k in SEMI alone now.

I live in a 14 story apartment in downtown lansing. I was able to put my weather station on the roof so while it's not scientifically accurate I had a gust to 66 here and many other gusts to 58 or more. Interestingly my weather station is usually spot on with KLAN so i don't think it's too much higher than the surface.

From Bill Deedler on FB just to put into reference for DTW and March winds.

Checking back in my old records show higher wind gusts in March - believe it or not.

Detroit (interesting, all were recorded in Detroit, not at DTW)

Date & Wind Gust Observed

March 5th, 1964 W - 75 mph
March 21st, 1913 W - 72 mph
March 12th, 1923. SW - 70 mph
March 8th, 2017. W - 68 mph (25059)

Highest Wind ever recorded: July 22, 1960 104 mph

I must admit, I am shocked that 68mph wasn't the top for the month of March.

Per DTE Energy and Consumers, 852,000 are without power in Michigan. Only two weather events have produced a more widespread outage, the July 7th, 1991 (853,000) and May 31st, 1998 (860,000) Derechoes, and those could easily be surpassed when all is said and done, just to give an idea how extreme these numbers are.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This setup is also fairly unusual in that the surface low is so far away...up by Hudson Bay.  A lot of high wind setups occur with a deep/deepening low moving through the region, not with one that is so far away.

When you think about it, this was like the perfect setup for a long duration of widespread high winds.

Normally, with these types of events, you have to contend with low stratus limiting mixing heights. This time, the areas hardest hit had full sunshine all day. 

2 hours ago, IthielZ said:

Per DTE Energy and Consumers, 852,000 are without power in Michigan. Only two weather events have produced a more widespread outage, the July 7th, 1991 (853,000) and May 31st, 1998 (860,000) Derechoes, and those could easily be surpassed when all is said and done, just to give an idea how extreme these numbers are.

Good info.  I was going to ask how it compared to the great 1998 derecho.  

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

When you think about it, this was like the perfect setup for a long duration of widespread high winds.

Normally, with these types of events, you have to contend with low stratus limiting mixing heights. This time, the areas hardest hit had full sunshine all day. 

I wonder if the low being so far away helped.  Perhaps there would've been more clouds to deal with in the cyclonic flow otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Jim Martin said:

From the National Weather Service in Buffalo, New York.

17155703_1574070485955967_4165122912748425982_n.jpg

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=buf&product=PNS&issuedby=BUF&format=ci&version=1

81 MPH at Rochester Airport

76 MPH in Batavia

75 MPH in Hamburg

72 MPH at Niagara Falls Airport

70 MPH in Tonawanda

66 MPH at Buffalo Airport

First time I've ever felt Hurricane force winds. One day I'll intercept a Hurricanes eyewall, its my dream. ^_^ I don't think I've ever felt winds so high for so long like they were today. It was absolutely incredible. I got a sub on lunch and an older lady was literally blowing away in the winds. I had to run to save her and get her into her car.

3 hours ago, harrisale said:

Pretty cool wind event overall. Still getting some 45mph gusts here.

Looking at the past 24 hr obs, the periods with the highest gusts have a dip in dewpoint of a few degrees.

Yeah that was a pretty cool event, some of those gusts had a roar that was just sinister.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

First time I've ever felt Hurricane force winds. One day I'll intercept a Hurricanes eyewall, its my dream. ^_^ I don't think I've ever felt winds so high for so long like they were today. It was absolutely incredible. I got a sub on lunch and an older lady was literally blowing away in the winds. I had to run to save her and get her into her car.

Most would've just taken out their smartphone to capture that instead of help.

13 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

State of Emergency in some towns in WNY.

Eerily familiar looking picture. This was around the corner from my house during the June 29, 2012 derecho.

derecho5.jpg

Winds weren't too bad around here, gusts between 47 and 49 MPH at the observing airports in the county. Youngstown, however, did record a 70mph gust last night. Quite impressive.

42 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

Eerily familiar looking picture. This was around the corner from my house during the June 29, 2012 derecho.

derecho5.jpg

Winds weren't too bad around here, gusts between 47 and 49 MPH at the observing airports in the county. Youngstown, however, did record a 70mph gust last night. Quite impressive.

Yup,

Hamilton Rd.  near New Albany....by any chance?    

My power is back and they got the pine branch off my wire. Happy I didn't lose the whole tree. Got a random garbage can in my yard. Other than that my neighborhood faired very well. Lots of tall trees untouched. Some huge trees down in other areas of the city though.

Looking like the fgen snow is now going to stay south of us tonight ugh. Possible record low tomorrow night then some light snow looks a decent bet later Monday with potential still there for some better snow. The models are terrible right now with strength and placement of everything so anything is on the table. The roller coaster continues.

For users of GRLevel3 software: There is a new version 2.60 beta that includes precip-type toggle-button with base reflectivity. This feature has never existed before with GRLevel3 (only GREarth, if I remember correctly.) This could be very useful. Perhaps some snow in Coldwater and Hillsdale MI right now?

5 hours ago, IthielZ said:

This tree is laying across southbound Telegraph a few blocks from me, right next to the fire station.

W2tBSOYh.jpg

One of my neighbors lost a good 20-25 foot pine as well. It tipped over right onto their garage.

That tree was still there at 330pm in the road just like that.

Archived