Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, IthielZ said:

DTW is gusting to 60 MPH. Power is flickering here at work in nearby Taylor. 

Also noteworthy is a temp of 51 and a dewpoint of 9.  I bet there aren't many 50+/sub 10 degree dewpoints obs in the history of DTW.

Models had some exceptionally dry air aloft, especially the NAM with areas of 850 mb dewpoints of -20F to -30F or so (which is basically off the scale at COD).  No surprise then to see some of the dry air mixing down especially with these winds.

KDTW 081653Z 25029G52KT 10SM FEW050 11/M13 A2982 RMK AO2 PK WND 25059/1637 SLP100 T01061128 $

A 68 mph wind gust at DTW within the 11 o'clock hour. probably one of the highest non thunderstorm gusts I have seen here. I can tell you right now we are gusting at least to 55mph at my house. The wind is so loud you can hear it coming before the gusts hit.

Its sort of an unique weather setup as this mid-morning here had high gusts with clear blue skies and full sun. I can't remember the last time that happened. Its mostly cloudy now. The sunrise and yesterday's sunset were amazing.

17 years ago today was that extreme temperature event that sticks out like no other, 24ºC in midwestern ON and 28ºC in Windsor/extreme SW ON. I wish I could remember what I was doing that day.

16 minutes ago, Torchageddon said:

Its sort of an unique weather setup as this mid-morning here had high gusts with clear blue skies and full sun. I can't remember the last time that happened. Its mostly cloudy now. The sunrise and yesterday's sunset were amazing.

17 years ago today was that extreme temperature event that sticks out like no other, 24ºC in midwestern ON and 28ºC in Windsor/extreme SW ON. I wish I could remember what I was doing that day.

Regionally, the only thing that comes to mind is remnants of Hurricane Ike that brought wind gusts over 80 to parts of Ohio.

21 minutes ago, Stebo said:

KDTW 081653Z 25029G52KT 10SM FEW050 11/M13 A2982 RMK AO2 PK WND 25059/1637 SLP100 T01061128 $

A 68 mph wind gust at DTW within the 11 o'clock hour. probably one of the highest non thunderstorm gusts I have seen here. I can tell you right now we are gusting at least to 55mph at my house. The wind is so loud you can hear it coming before the gusts hit.

A lot of reports coming in from DTX, even some with structural damage.

8 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Regionally, the only thing that comes to mind is remnants of Hurricane Ike that brought wind gusts over 80 to parts of Ohio.

That setup takes the cake for strange high wind setups.  Not only was it from a remnant hurricane, but the sunny skies meant that temps were able to rise well into the 80s/near 90 in some areas during those high winds.  Those setups come around pretty rarely... the remnant 1900 Galveston hurricane is another example but a bit farther north.

PDS for high winds for WNY. I don't think I've ever seen this before.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION!

Winds gusting 60 up to 80 mph western NY. Now is NOT the time to be outdoors. Widespread damage and power outages are occurring across the region this afternoon. At 1:35pm #Rochester gusted to 81 mph!

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Buffalo NY
211 PM EST Wed Mar 8 2017

NYZ001>003-010>012-085-082300-
Niagara-Orleans-Monroe-Northern Erie-Genesee-Wyoming-
Southern Erie-
Including the cities of Niagara Falls, Medina, Rochester,
Buffalo, Batavia, Warsaw, Orchard Park, and Springville

...DANGEROUS WINDS THIS AFTERNOON...

Very strong and damaging winds will continue this afternoon from
the Niagara Frontier east to Rochester. Wind gusts will reach 70
to 80 mph at times through late afternoon. Winds of this magnitude
will result in extensive damage to trees and power lines,
widespread power outages, and significant property damage,
including damage to roofs.

13 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

PDS for high winds for WNY. I don't think I've ever seen this before.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION!

Winds gusting 60 up to 80 mph western NY. Now is NOT the time to be outdoors. Widespread damage and power outages are occurring across the region this afternoon. At 1:35pm #Rochester gusted to 81 mph!

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Buffalo NY

NYZ001>003-010>012-085-082300-
Niagara-Orleans-Monroe-Northern Erie-Genesee-Wyoming-
Southern Erie-
Including the cities of Niagara Falls, Medina, Rochester,
Buffalo, Batavia, Warsaw, Orchard Park, and Springville

...DANGEROUS WINDS THIS AFTERNOON...

Very strong and damaging winds will continue this afternoon from
the Niagara Frontier east to Rochester. Wind gusts will reach 70
to 80 mph at times through late afternoon. Winds of this magnitude
will result in extensive damage to trees and power lines,
widespread power outages, and significant property damage,
including damage to roofs.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before.

Archived