SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my least favorite months. If we get snow, it's usually the heart attack variety and doesn't stick around. And quite honestly, I've usually had my fill of winter. The problem is, it's just a cool damp month (2012 being the exception). Not a good severe month for the area. If we're not going to get a big dog, I'd just as soon fast forward to mid April.

Should I start a complaint thread specifically for the month of March? lol

11 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

One of my least favorite months. If we get snow, it's usually the heart attack variety and doesn't stick around. And quite honestly, I've usually had my fill of winter. The problem is, it's just a cool damp month (2012 being the exception). Not a good severe month for the area. If we're not going to get a big dog, I'd just as soon fast forward to mid April.

Should I start a complaint thread specifically for the month of March? lol

Late March/April is my least favorite time of year around this area too. To cold to go outside and to warm for snow. I usually take my annual Caribbean trip at this time because of it.

I like March.  We've had some good historic svr storms here in the Midwest.  Heard on radio while up in nw IN on Friday that naturalists at Dunes State Park were concerned for spring peepers with the return to colder weather.  Going to be a roller coaster ride this month I think with more zonal flows punctuated by troughs.at times. The March 12, 2006 tornado outbreak with those twin supercells from MO to IL and IN is unforgettable in my book.

10 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Late March/April is my least favorite time of year around this area too. To cold to go outside and to warm for snow. I usually take my annual Caribbean trip at this time because of it.

Welcome to my whole flipp'in winter!  Yes march is not my favorite month either.  Should be named the Month of Mud.

The CFS has a general cool Northwest, warm Central/East look for March.  I pay attention to the final run or two for the next month as it tends to do better than earlier runs.  The first part of March won't be favorable for racking up big positive temperature anomalies in the means, so it would have to come later.  

the first part of February wasn't necessarily that much above average in terms of temps and we're still gonna end up with +10 to +12 anomalies, lol.

I do think March will end up with similar positive anomalies. Pattern looks very favorable for highly anomalous warmth in the long range.

The roller coaster will be in full form this week as we enter an already normally volatile month.

Wednesday we will see thunderstorms, and the rain will likely turn to a period of snow wed evening. Temps will plunge from the low 60s to mid 20s in about 10 hours. Then Thursday night accumulating snow potential is there with a clipper, a cold Friday and frigid Friday night will give way to 50s by Sunday. And Im sure the roller coaster is nowhere near finished after that. Wow what a wacky winter.

1 hour ago, Maxim said:

the first part of February wasn't necessarily that much above average in terms of temps and we're still gonna end up with +10 to +12 anomalies, lol.

I do think March will end up with similar positive anomalies. Pattern looks very favorable for highly anomalous warmth in the long range.

You must be then counting on a massive torch mid-late month which I have yet to see anything show massive torch. Will wait and see I guess.

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

You must be then counting on a massive torch mid-late month which I have yet to see anything show massive torch. Will wait and see I guess.

12z EURO had a massive central US ridge developing at the end of its run which will subsequently spread east, but may be slightly muted.

That little clipper tomorrow is putting out some pretty impressive looking convective snow near and just north of the surface low across northern IL on the 4km/3km NAM.  Continues on through parts of Indiana and Ohio tomorrow night.  Don't think it will add up to too much since the system is moving pretty quickly, but it could become rip city for isolated areas that get hit by those convective bands.

Recieved nearly 15" of snow in the past 7 hours. Still have about 7 more hours of heavy snow. The Presque Isle county sheriff's department closed down the two main highways for the remainder of the day and all government offices have been shut down. To think just yesterday we had about 2 inches of glacial snow left. 

16939337_1234731646611298_3126523070605034746_n.jpg

5 hours ago, josh_4184 said:

Bring on spring time to put this turdbag of a winter behind. Ready to camp, fish, etc anyway. Normally early spring around here is miserable with the snow melt, but since we have had so many torches I think conditions will improve sooner than usually.

I will be happy to not have to deal with three weeks of mud around the farm.

ROFL at this!

FRIDAY  
SUNNY. HIGH IN THE UPPER 30S. TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO  
THE LOWER -100S IN THE AFTERNOON. WEST WIND AROUND 5 MPH SHIFTING  
TO THE SOUTH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL READINGS TO 115 BELOW.    
FRIDAY NIGHT  
CLEAR. LOW IN THE UPPER 20S. SOUTHEAST WIND 10 TO  
15 MPH. WIND CHILL READINGS TO 115 BELOW.   

9 hours ago, Natester said:

ROFL at this!

FRIDAY  
SUNNY. HIGH IN THE UPPER 30S. TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO  
THE LOWER -100S IN THE AFTERNOON. WEST WIND AROUND 5 MPH SHIFTING  
TO THE SOUTH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL READINGS TO 115 BELOW.    
FRIDAY NIGHT  
CLEAR. LOW IN THE UPPER 20S. SOUTHEAST WIND 10 TO  
15 MPH. WIND CHILL READINGS TO 115 BELOW.   

Who knew such a miserable place existed...

Archived