• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

Man this new GOES-16 imagery has been spectacular to look at so far.  You can see some amazing detail in certain images on various days.  

You can see the plume of steam blowing southwest off of the Byron nuke plant south of Rockford today.  You can also see little streamers coming off the southern end of Lake Michigan.  I like to rock the slider (on the bottom of the page) back and forth, as it lets you see things a bit easier than just looping it sometimes.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=nrnil-02-48-0

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Man this new GOES-16 imagery has been spectacular to look at so far.  You can see some amazing detail in certain images on various days.  

You can see the plume of steam blowing southwest off of the Byron nuke plant south of Rockford today.  You can also see little streamers coming off the southern end of Lake Michigan.  I like to rock the slider (on the bottom of the page) back and forth, as it lets you see things a bit easier than just looping it sometimes.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/?parms=nrnil-02-48-0

Thank you for this. Another add to my favorites.

Like the last big occluded system, I received the low end of the model qpf range, 0.76".  Waterloo only got a half inch, so this general area got considerably less than what some models had falling.  These occluded systems, with their spokes of energy pinwheeling around, make it difficult for models to pinpoint the best rain areas a day or two out.

10 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Drought concerns a memory, picked up damn near 1" within the past 24 hours, with plenty of rain chances in the coming week. Lawn is looking good!! 

IMG_0396.JPG

Another summer of mowing every 4 days on the way?  You could almost watch the grass grow last summer with all the rain and high humidity.

20 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Another summer of mowing every 4 days on the way?  You could almost watch the grass grow last summer with all the rain and high humidity.

Oh tell me about it, last year was ridiculous. But coming from someone who does landscaping for a living, last summer was a mowers dream. Still early, but this potential El Niño could spark a cool summer. 

48 minutes ago, Chambana said:

Drought concerns a memory, picked up damn near 1" within the past 24 hours, with plenty of rain chances in the coming week. Lawn is looking good!! 

IMG_0396.JPG

Wow, that green grass and standing water sure looks nice!  A couple more weeks of snow cover, and the sun can start working its magic here... A cool onshore flow today kept temps in the mid-30's and a few flurries around.  Looks like the first mow isn't too far away there.

My front yard today...

IMG_1640.thumb.JPG.49ac60f217d0ad2a0c823f3c46b93d76.JPG

31 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Wow, that green grass and standing water sure looks nice!  A couple more weeks of snow cover, and the sun can start working its magic here... A cool onshore flow today kept temps in the mid-30's and a few flurries around.  Looks like the first mow isn't too far away there.

My front yard today...

IMG_1640.thumb.JPG.49ac60f217d0ad2a0c823f3c46b93d76.JPG

I'm jealous of you during the core winter months. Seeing that heading into April? No thank you :)

17 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

It took until yesterday, but March will (barely) end up warmer than February for CMH:

February: 51.8/32.6 -- 42.2 (+9.4)

March: 51.9/33.8 -- 42.8 (+1.0)

Wow @ Feb down there!!

Stats for MQT:

January 25.4/11.8 -- 18.6 (+5)

February 30.1/14.0 -- 22.0 (+6.5)

March 31.9/15.8 -- 23.9 (-0.2)

DTW finished at 36.9F for March, which was a departure of -0.3F.

At 36.9F in March and 38.0F in Feb, this was only the 6th time on record March was colder than February. March seemed to run unusually "warmer" than many surrounding areas at DTW on several days, so much of SE MI actually finished March 1.5-2 degrees colder than February. Detroit City airport finished a full 1.4 degrees colder than DTW in March.

Its quite interesting how we have transformed from DET averaging 2-3 degrees warmer than DTW in the 1960s and 1970s, and by the 2000s it was down to about 1 degree warmer, and now all of a sudden in 2017 DET has averaged 1.2F COLDER than DTW. DTW is still a semi-rural area and when you look at the monthly roundups from DTX, which has probably 3 or 4 dozen stations listed, DTW is always the warmest with the occasional exception of Monroe. Not a fan of how UHI affects of the airport the climate sites like that.

Archived