SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DET has been running quite a bit colder than DTW the past few months, but it was a warm day region-wide today. DTW hit 77F though the record was 81F in 1910. The cold front is bringing a 20-25 degree temp drop in 1 hour as witnessed north of Detroit this evening. Southeast MI has had temps from the mid-teens to the upper 70s over the last 36 hours.

Few pics I took the last few days:

March 22

17458443_10108053726883583_8747695798685

March 23

17498623_10108056863822133_3932055549229

Tomorrow is one of those days where I have no clue what will happen with temps here. Some models try to get rid of the lake influence and flip the winds more southeasterly, but with the surface low being so far away and a cold lake, I'm not sure it's going to be that easy.

36 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Lake Michigan says, "No"

In the meantime, it's cloudy but 71 here.

I was afraid of this.  Models tend to be overly optimistic with getting the boundary north, especially when there isn't a clear synoptic reason for it to do that (like a surface low tracking northwest of the area). Earlier runs of the HRRR had it in the 60s here at this time but it's currently in the upper 40s.  Warm air is not far away though with IKK and VPZ in the 60s.

1 hour ago, bowtie` said:

Only five times in a hundred plus years but once each of the last two years? That is insane.

I know.  So the return intervals are 20 years, 75 years, 46 years, and 1 year.  Great example of how events occur independently without regard for how many years have gone by.

That 1895 case is really ridiculous with multiple 40+ degree swings.

Interesting stats for chicago. Detroit had it too (44-77-47). Will have to see if I can figure it out how rare that is here. 

It's not surprising though. Since November our weather has been the TEXTBOOK definition of roller coaster, there is no way to dispute that, so now that we are in spring when it's usually a roller coaster anyway, the roller coaster is getting more extreme. 

Day after day of low 30's, clouds, fog, freezing rain, drizzle.  Ready to turn the page into April.  Took this this morning, many roads here in the higher elevations in my area still snow/ice covered with 12-15" on the ground. On average, another 20" of snow could fall. I'd love to see a warm/wet Spring!

IMG_0923.thumb.JPG.42444b6cd6ee838cc93d3befab00cf50.JPG

Archived