Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

We're stuck in the upper 30s today, with mist, north of the warm front.  Southwest Iowa is in the 70s again this afternoon.  They've spent much of the last week+ in the 60s and 70s.  The plains can heat up extremely easily this time of year.

Be an interesting drive down I-35 this afternoon.  39 at Mason City while it's a balmy/sunny 76 at Lamoni.  

Several reports of golf ball size hail in northeast Iowa this afternoon from those little elevated cells.  Probably an unpleasant surprise to some peeps up there, as I don't think anything like that was expected today.

All the big storms with hail passed well north of me this afternoon.  A couple tiny cells that popped up near Cedar Rapids dropped only sprinkles, but did produce several sharp cracks of thunder.  It's unclear exactly how warm we'll get Friday.  It will depend on sun vs clouds and how soon the line of thundershowers moves in.  65 and 75 are both possible.

27 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Looks like a decent shot at 80 even for ORD, if the HRRR has a clue...

30ncas1.png

Would be a fairly unusual occurrence for Chicago to reach 80 in March.  It's only happened in 10 out of 145 years or whatever of temperature records.  Before March 2012, it hadn't happened in March since 1990.

From what I can tell, this is only the 3rd time that Chicago has had an 80+ degree temperature and a 6"+ snowstorm 10 days or less apart, and the first time it's happened in March.  The 1910 case appears to have been a slow moving cutoff low, so it's included even though it spanned 5 days.

4/22-26/1910:  6.4";  high of 86 on 4/29

10/18-20/1989:  6.3";  high of 83 on 10/15

3/12-14/2017:  7.7";  high of 81+ on 3/24

Archived