Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Bye-bye snow cover.  Grassy areas are quickly expanding this afternoon as today's sunshine is teaming up with a 40-degree temp.  The rest of the snow will be history after tomorrow's low 50s.

The two biggest snows this season dissolved extremely quickly.  The big snow back in early Dec compacted to <4" in <24hrs, and was pretty much gone another 24hrs later.  Never seen that much fresh snow disappear so fast.  

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

It has been cold(-3.2 for the month at MQT)! The past week or so has been very January like... windy and snowy.  Today hit 36 degrees and it felt wonderful, however.  Being out in the woods with little traffic, the snow stays pretty pristine.  Still looks and feels like deep winter.  23" of snow so far this month, 10" of that since the 12th. Hard to deny Spring is here tho.

IMG_0841.jpg

Daaaayum!  Nice shot!

After having a solid snowpack all week, yesterday afternoons blazing sun and 42F left a lot of grass showing. About half snow half grass now in residential areas, with grass, piles, & drifts in heavily traveled areas. However it now appears that a sneak snow event will work it's way into Detroit this afternoon, with potential for a brief period of intense snowfall per DTX.

2 hours ago, Chambana said:

Was forecasted 54 today, currently 45 with heavy overcast, definitely a forecast fail today. Think I can officially put the winter of 16-17 to rest. Snowfall should be done here, looking at the long range. 

Hopefully we have better luck next year. 

Wow, that sucks.  We over-achieved here and made it to 60.  Snow is a distant memory, like it never even happened lol.

43 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Been snowing here since I came in, now mixing with sleet as well. 

I'm starting to expect an freeze up after the salt gets diluted by the falling snow... With the air temp so close to the freezing and no radiant heating I wonder where the frost line sits in the soil .... I suspect another top off salt in the next hour.

2 minutes ago, Powerball said:

It appears there was TSSN just east of Ann Arbor.

ASOS's auto lightning detection picked up lightning to the west, I haven't seen anything though of course with vis under 1 1/2SM most of my shift so far. Also have had pretty much everything imaginable for precip thus far.

37 minutes ago, Stebo said:

ASOS's auto lightning detection picked up lightning to the west, I haven't seen anything though of course with vis under 1 1/2SM most of my shift so far. Also have had pretty much everything imaginable for precip thus far.

It's been all snow here, as the precipitation begins to shut off.

The day started with a blazing sunrise. The weather late this afternoon and early evening was interesting. It poured feather snowflakes and sleet. As mentioned thundersnow reported in some areas of SE MI (not here). Some areas to the north picked up 1-2", but I picked up 0.8" of snow/sleet which incredibly brings the season total imby to 41.0". So basically an average snow season by the numbers but ANYTHING but in the roller coaster. Tomorrow will be my 39th and perhaps final day of 7am snow depth of 1"+ on the season, so thats about 2 weeks less than normal.

DTW also picked up 0.8" which brings their season total to 37.2". Thats only an inch below normal to date, and technically still about 4 more inches falls on average by the end of the season. Tomorrow will be the 35th and perhaps final day of 1"+ snowcover, 15 days below normal.

17342693_10108026800838593_2551141021610

17362665_10108029152430983_7605850199616\\

17352353_10108029152445953_3879122164821

Surprise snow hits Detroits northern and western suburbs with 2-3" new this morning, so some of those areas saw about 4 inches fall since last night. Here, about half of our 0.8" snowcone last night actually was gone from the drizzle, fog, and rain overnight, before parachute flakes gave us a water logged half inch of snow about an hour ago. Its a classic late winter/early spring scene out there lol. Dripping, slush, and puddles everywhere, but snow too, as there still was some old snow from Mondays storm.

Well today is officially the last day of winter.  While Grand Rapids has had 59.7” for this “season” there has only been 24.4” of snow for the official winter here in Grand Rapids. From December 20th until today there have only been 27 days with one inch or more of snow on the ground and the deepest was 8” on December 21st the deepest for the season (so far) was 9” on December 19th there will be a more complete winter summery from the NWS in a few days. The sun is now out and the temperature has jumped up to 45° here at my house.

Man, your time lapse videos are awesome! I always watch them several times. We're really lucky to have you posting here.

Our lightning show came just before sunrise. Lots and lots of lightning, although the majority was cloud-to-cloud, there enough cloud-to-ground to make it interesting. We had another early afternoon storm, but not nearly as fun as the early morning stuff.

8 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Time lapse from last night's lightning.  Started it earlier in the day so I could get the transition from a nice sunny day to a stormy night.

Awesome time lapse, it really captured the spring feel.  This really showed how storms(especially elevated ones) move with the mid level flow and not the lower level clouds

Archived