Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

That tree was still there at 330pm in the road just like that.

It's still there as of a half hour ago. They have someone from DTE watching the wire, I think they got the one further up the road on the Dearborn side cleaned up because I didn't see all the flashing lights and flares up there coming home tonight.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking long term, there is no sign of a sustained ridge to welcome in Spring. Below average Marches are the worst IMO. 2016 was above average, but 2013, 2014, and 2015 were all below average with late springs. Yes, it is a transitional month for most of the sub, but average highs for CMH are approaching the 50s now and I'm ready to move on.

On 3/9/2017 at 8:03 AM, IthielZ said:

Over 1,000,000 without power in Michigan as of this morning, including me. DTE rightfully calling it the largest event in their history.

Definitely the worst wind event I've ever seen.

We got power back last night, after losing it at about 6pm on Wednesday.

On 3/2/2017 at 2:15 AM, Powerball said:

So things seem to be tilting in the direction of cold / dry (at least for a sizable chunk of the month).

Perfect.

On 3/2/2017 at 9:00 AM, Hoosier said:

GFS seems more bullish than the Euro on the cold.  Couple things to keep in mind. One, don't expect a February type of warm stretch in the immediate future, though warm days will occur.  The other thing is that low level temps tend to respond better at this time of year with the sun angle, so what looks like a cold map may not be as cold as you think, especially on days with sun.

My azz that's been freezing itself off with this useless cold since the 1st of the month would beg to differ.

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

My azz that's been freezing itself off with this useless cold since the 1st of the month would beg to differ.

Rasheed Wallace used to say the ball don't lie. Well, the map don't lie, at least not majorly.  There have been cold days but the warmth has been outdueling the cold.  This is also true when only looking at max temps, though to a lesser extent.

month_tdev.thumb.png.da16c74b2c4d81ecbbeb162355dcadb9.png

month.tmaxdev.thumb.png.d2709c5f5f1d07b200bcf46aaebe940a.png

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, well, even more typical ratio snow feels the effects of the mid March sun angle, but this LES fluff really gets assaulted.

The sun angle is extremely apparent. The snow did a lot of drifting the day after the storm, but other than that it's getting slowly assaulted in the sun to where gras spots are showing and barely budging in the shade.

It has been cold(-3.2 for the month at MQT)! The past week or so has been very January like... windy and snowy.  Today hit 36 degrees and it felt wonderful, however.  Being out in the woods with little traffic, the snow stays pretty pristine.  Still looks and feels like deep winter.  23" of snow so far this month, 10" of that since the 12th. Hard to deny Spring is here tho.

IMG_0841.jpg

Latest NAM/GFS/RGEM all hinting at around 2" away from the lake, locally 2.5-3.0", tomorrow night into Saturday morning across the GTA.

At this point it looks like it could be the last snowfall of the season for the area. YYZ as of yesterday has recorded 30.9" (78.5cm) of snow on the season, which is the 10th least snowiest Winter on record, and is 14.0" (35.5cm) below normal. Unless we get something half decent between now and mid April, it will end up somewhere between the 14th-17th (17th is 2005-06 at 33.4") least snowiest Winter on record at YYZ, pending tomorrow nights snowfall. Records at YYZ go back till 1938. In addition, thru March 15th (halfway), YYZ's mean temperature for the month is 25.3F (-3.7C), which is almost 4 degrees (C) below the average of 32.0F (0.0C). 

Archived