Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Powerball said:

So things seem to be tilting in the direction of cold / dry (at least for a sizable chunk of the month).

Perfect.

GFS seems more bullish than the Euro on the cold.  Couple things to keep in mind. One, don't expect a February type of warm stretch in the immediate future, though warm days will occur.  The other thing is that low level temps tend to respond better at this time of year with the sun angle, so what looks like a cold map may not be as cold as you think, especially on days with sun.

Picked up a dusting of snow last night, along with some pretty strong winds. Enough to remind you it's only March 1st. That along with a forecast low of 10F tonight. 

River is running pretty high for this time of year, usually don't see these kind of flows until late March. Raises the potential for some spring flooding this year if the pattern stays wet. 

12 hours ago, weatherbo said:

clouds and snow cleared out late last night and temp fell to a low of 1.  should see light lake snow redevelop later today, but until then it's beautiful!  snow trying to get deep again just in time for a late weekend thaw.

IMG_1413.JPG

Looks like 36 hours of warmth and then the cold locks back in North of 45. Gonna be spending 6 days in Canuck land starting next Friday. Looks like a storm brewing for Sunday, Monday.

Picked up 0.7" of snow this evening, brings me to 34.6" on the season. Squalls briefly melted on the roads before freezing into an ice rink. I75 and I94 closed for a time, parts yet to reopen. Been a while since we have seen that much mayhem on the roads but ice is far more dangerous than snow. At DTW the heaviest squalls missed just to the east, so only 0.2" fell bringing the season total to 31.2".

16999238_10107948983380403_4403979424661

For the second day in a row there is about an inch of new snow here in west Michigan. The snow that fell on Wednesday night melted yesterday. And last night once again about a inch of new snow. Here at my house I had a low of 16° last night and at GRR the official low was 17° Now looking back at February. Here is the Grand Rapids NWS office summaries for February 2017

http://www.weather.gov/grr/news20170301

and the DJF winter season

http://www.weather.gov/grr/news20170301

We just had the warmest February on record and a top ten in the warmest winter seasons on record (120+ years) Also Here is some interesting snow fall information since the calendar   start of winter Grand Rapids has only had 20.8” of snow. Over in Lansing they have their calendar winter snow fall total is now only 16.8” and at Muskegon its only 21.9” So that at Grand Rapids of this season 54.2”. 33.4” fell in just a two week span in early December. At Lansing of their 27.6” 10.8” in that two-week span in December. And in Muskegon of the 40.9” this season 18” fell in the two week in early December and one inch fell there in November

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Heavy frost this morning.  Way down to 17.  Another chilly day today, but mid 50s tomorrow, 60s Sunday, and a chance at 70 on Monday.  Record for Monday is 73 at MLI.

Looks windy on Monday too, which is more typical on warm days at this time of year. Could get gusts around if not over 40 mph.

12 hours ago, Jonger said:

Looks like 36 hours of warmth and then the cold locks back in North of 45. Gonna be spending 6 days in Canuck land starting next Friday. Looks like a storm brewing for Sunday, Monday.

Euro lot more bullish on the cold 240 hours then GFS, not sure i buy that, as the roller coaster pattern has been king all winter.

6 minutes ago, buckeye said:

figures,

euro ens has one of the snowiest looks for the sub since early winter

Who knows, but the models have been bouncing around a ton in the 7-10 day range.  I'm not talking individual storms (as you expect model shifting for that) but even on some features of the large scale pattern.

Last 2 runs of the Euro have shown significant snow for the lower lakes corridor within 240 hours. That's something positive for all you snow lovers. If I were in Toledo, with the current 1" snow drought similar to Chicago, I would really be wishing for the 12z Euro's solution.

The dial on the barometer I got from my Grandfather is way, way, way over on the right side today. Normally never see it way over in the corner like that. Looks like KIND got up to 30.62 earlier today. Been trending lower the last six hours.

14 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Took this pic of sunrise yesterday morning. Despite temps not eclipsing freezing, the full sun melted all but a few specs of snow. Woke up to a cold 17F this morning at DTW, as cold as 3F in White Lake.

17015975_10107950930084193_6629573643109

nice sunrise! 

It's felt like legit winter here the past couple days.  Yesterday morning woke up to 1 degree and with full sun only managed a high of 15.  Low of -12 this morning.  Woodstove working overtime.

Archived