• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 28th - March 1st Severe Weather Outbreak

andyhb

Will they be surveying the smaller tornadoes as well? We were on the Washburn tor, as well as the 2 other smaller tornadoes that dropped after that main one dissipated. House's roof was ripped off and the front walls caved in. 

It sounds like their gonna take a look at the whole area I know they did miss a couple Tornadoes that should've been warned up there according to another user on here earlier.

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The supercell that dominated the night had its beginnings in Benton County, AR at 21:00Z and began losing its distinct mesocyclone at 06:15Z somewhere in Washington County, IN. I'm estimating it's life at 420nm and 9h15m. It traveled through AR, MO, IL, and IN.

Seen some of the damage shots from Perryville and it clearly looks like it was a higher end tornado as suspected given the radar signatures. Trees debarked/stubbed, vehicles mangled/tossed, homes levelled or even swept away in some cases.

38 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Seen some of the damage shots from Perryville and it clearly looks like it was a higher end tornado as suspected given the radar signatures. Trees debarked/stubbed, vehicles mangled/tossed,  homes levelled or even swept away in some cases.

Easily an EF3 just basing off of pictures, perhaps higher depending on structure quality, etc. 

Not bad.  There was a decent cluster of reports in northeast IN just outside the ENH. Substantial number of reports farther west in Missouri, but the risks were expanded west on the 01z outlook.

day1otlk_v_20170228_2000.gif

Basically had 2 tornado corridors with nothing in between (unless surveys change that), but it's difficult to impossible to pinpoint that ahead of time.

day1probotlk_v_20170228_2000_torn_prt.gif

Extremely interested in the Perryville tornado. Some of the damage pictures show houses flattened and, in some cases, swept away. Along with many trees snapped and debarked. Would expect something in the EF4 range based on about 30 or so pictures I've seen.

EDIT: to clarify, the houses that I saw were swept away didnt seem to be very well constructed. As in, one had a lack of a bolted foundation and another with a basement made of what kind of looked like cinder blocks.

8 minutes ago, NWLinnCountyIA said:

Extremely interested in the Perryville tornado. Some of the damage pictures show houses flattened and, in some cases, swept away. Along with many trees snapped and debarked. Would expect something in the EF4 range based on about 30 or so pictures I've seen.

EDIT: to clarify, the houses that I saw were swept away didnt seem to be very well constructed. As in, one had a lack of a bolted foundation and another with a basement made of what kind of looked like cinder blocks.

Seeing that low lying shrubbery was left intact near the swept away homes, and vehicles parked in the garages were only shifted slightly at least in a few cases. An EF4 rating is still possible though, we'll see.

La Salle county has been pretty unlucky in recent years.  Been struck a lot since 2000 (most notably the F3 on 4/20/2004), but they aren't the only place in the LOT cwa.  26 tornadoes in La Salle county just from 2000-2016 (this map doesn't include 2016)

map.png

6 minutes ago, Buckeye05 said:

Seeing that low lying shrubbery was left intact near the swept away homes, and vehicles parked in the garages were only shifted slightly at least in a few cases. An EF4 rating is still possible though, we'll see.

If you look at this video, you can see there are some pretty low-lying trees/greenery that have been debarked.

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

La Salle county has been pretty unlucky in recent years.  Been struck a lot since 2000 (most notably the F3 on 4/20/2004), but they aren't the only place in the LOT cwa.  26 tornadoes in La Salle county just from 2000-2016 (this map doesn't include 2016)

This kind of continues the trend of significant tornado events getting close to the Chicagoland area recently. North-central IL has been a serious hot spot the last few years.

Saw this large cone tornado near Bradford, IL. This storm wasn't even tornado warned. This was the storm in between the supercell that hit Ottawa and the supercell that went on to be a cyclic tornado producer from Chillicothe to Washburn and past Toluca. This storm evolved very fast and after this tornado fell apart. Thinking it may have briefly interacted with warm front then crossed it. 

rps20170301_154808.jpg

rps20170301_155058.jpg

6 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Saw this large cone tornado near Bradford, IL. This storm wasn't even tornado warned. This was the storm in between the supercell that hit Ottawa and the supercell that went on to be a cyclic tornado producer from Chillicothe to Washburn and past Toluca. This storm evolved very fast and after this tornado fell apart. Thinking it may have briefly interacted with warm front then crossed it. 

Had a different view than you but saw the same tornado and it passed between Wyoming and Bradford.  Also caught the large tornado and later rope from Washburn on eastward as the sun set.

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 4.05.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 4.05.44 PM.png

These are from the cyclic supercell that I followed from Chillicothe all the way past Streater. This storm was a beast. The two large tornadoes were from the one that hit Washburn. My chase partner Connor took those two pics because I was driving. The elephant trunk was one of the cycles after it passed Toluca. The storm kept putting down brief albeit photogenic tornadoes. Incredible chase day

rps20170301_155856.jpg

20170228_185505.jpg

rps20170301_160202.jpg

22 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Great shots madwx! We had a great view of that first storm. Unfortunately when the large tornado was down on the second storm we were north of it for a while and didn't have good visibility

Same, finding a crossing of the Illinois River set us back a bit so we only got a distant view of the large Washburn tornado

Archived