• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 28th - March 1st Severe Weather Outbreak

andyhb

NAM products would bring the tor threat up into southeast Iowa, and along and south of the I-80 corridor in Illinois on Tuesday.  Surface low is deep enough to keep the surface winds backed beneath some pretty impressive mid-levels.  Some forecast soundings are showing over 80kts of shear from the LCL to the EL.  Great wind shear in the lower 1km as well.  If the NAM products are on to something the slight will need to be lifted further north into these areas.  

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

NAM products would bring the tor threat up into southeast Iowa, and along and south of the I-80 corridor in Illinois on Tuesday.  Surface low is deep enough to keep the surface winds backed beneath some pretty impressive mid-levels.  Some forecast soundings are showing over 80kts of shear from the LCL to the EL.  Great wind shear in the lower 1km as well.  If the NAM products are on to something the slight will need to be lifted further north into these areas.  

I would expect it to come north on later outlooks, barring some significant change in the setup.

2 hours ago, janetjanet998 said:

12z GFS stronger then 00z and seems to break CAP tuesday afternoon over AR area while NAM holds 

Might also be an issue regarding the BMJ convective scheme as well. See this a fair amount of time with the NAM and its derivative products (i.e. basically has 0 CIN but keeps the cap intact due to the fact that it requires moistening of the mid levels to resolve initiation).

I will say the SREF's signal is rather benign for now, which likely results from a lack of convective precip being resolved given the potential parameter space. If there are any surface based storms remaining late Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, those could get interesting in a hurry.

For example, here we see that the NAM is putting out some pretty decent vertical velocities (negative values being upward motion given the fact that it is dPa/s) indicating forcing for ascent vs. subsidence across the warm sector at 00z Wednesday, so you probably could expect initiation somewhere in there.

700hvv.conus.png

GFS is even more pronounced in this regard.

16 minutes ago, LouWX said:

Busy life !! And I only really post for severe wx -- I'm no fan of winter.

Maybe you are thinking of someone else!

There was a guy who posted regularly years ago, especially back on EUSWX.  His screen name was Louwxman and I believe he was also an OCM in Louisville.   I guess just a coincidence.

I am not sure how much this affects the severe weather scenario. The NAM has the surface low tracking from Hannibal MO to Toledo OH, and intensifying. From a look at the global models, it seems this surface low will be farther north in MI and WI. The GFS has the low near Sault Ste. Marie and Sudbury ON at the period of interest. The Euro is in WI/MI but not that far north. So the NAM might have somewhat incorrect low-level winds. I certainly don't want to discount any severe weather threat, because those 60-70 kt 0-6km shear values have resulted in tornadoes a bunch of times!

With some issues WRT placement and timing and key features, it will probably be another day or so before we get more clarity on Wednesday's threat. (Tuesday looks like a cap bust in this sub-forum)

I do see increasing potential for overnight/morning warm sector storms moving into the Ohio Valley by early Wednesday, followed by a muddled/messy second round of storms later in the day. Perhaps a Friday do-over with a somewhat more favorable setup?

1 minute ago, Indystorm said:

Which model had better verification last Friday?

Enhanced mixing given the temperatures overperforming meant they were all off to some degree thermodynamically. As far as the wind fields were concerned, probably something closer to the Euro. Didn't help that the surface low wasn't as strong as guidance had suggested.

4 minutes ago, Stebo said:

If things remain uncapped overnight Tuesday night into Wednesday, the NAM really paints an extremely volatile picture. The amount of low level shear in the first km is very damn good with exceptional speed shear above that layer and very favorable lapse rates. 

Decent environment progged fairly far north too. This is a bit southwest of South Bend at 6z Wednesday.

2017022700_NAM_054_41.32,-86.82_severe_ml.png

With another EML (I feel like we had 0 good EMLs the last 2 seasons, at least it felt that way), what should be a somewhat better moisture return due to not having a cut-off low spinning near FL, and a 100kt 500mb jet expected to intersect the warm sector, you'd have to think there's decent potential for Tuesday into Wednesday.  The differences among the models regarding timing/track of the low (or in the NAM's case if a second low develops on Wednesday over the northern Ohio Valley) make it hard to pin down the location and magnitude of the threat. 

As was the case with the last event with no snow cover I don't see why some threat wouldn't get all the way up to the low track, and with the models trying to hint at impressive wind fields moving across the Ohio Valley/southern Lakes Tuesday night into Wednesday morning the prospects of an overnight event seem interesting...with dews possibly in the upper 50s to near 60 and steep ML lapse rates some instability should be maintained overnight, especially if we get a 60-70kt 850mb jet returning moisture into the area Tuesday night.  The 3k/4k NAMs would be damn interesting, but there's still a lot of time to trend towards a somewhat faster/flatter solution.

The NAM is obviously the best case scenario if you're looking for severe wx at this point. The ECMWF and GFS (to lesser degree, also show some potential.

The question is, is the NAM being the NAM and over-amped with the wave, or is it onto something? Given how this season has gone, the former is more likely.

Definitely a bit more intrigued with this potential event than I was with Friday's event though.

In any case, it looks like some severe threat may be maintained well into the overnight hours on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, at least into the Ohio Valley and possibly northward toward the I-80 corridor, as low level warm air/moisture advection tries to offset nocturnal cooling.

Archived