SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2017 Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS and 0z Euro develop nice blocking moving forward.

AO is taking a nosedive with the NAO going slightly negative and the PNA rising. MJO also looks favorable.

ao.sprd2.gif

Both models show a clipper possibly morphing into a miller b for next weekend. Have to watch out for that.

I think the first 2 weeks will be favorable for the area but then after that will be a question.

I think we have a storm chance around day 6 and then again around day 9 when real cold air arrives, perhaps below average. That's what the ensembles are indicating. However we'll have to see if the guidance ends up backing off on the strength and depth of the trough as has been the case for most of the season.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I think we have a storm chance around day 6 and then again around day 9 when real cold air arrives, perhaps below average. That's what the ensembles are indicating. However we'll have to see if the guidance ends up backing off on the strength and depth of the trough as has been the case for most of the season.

We've had great patterns modeled almost the whole winter....verification is muted/less cold.

27 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

We've had great patterns modeled almost the whole winter....verification is muted/less cold.

follow the pattern this winter a couple weeks cold and snowy with normal to above normal snow then warmer and March will continue the streak of temp AN and  Snowfall N/AN

5 minutes ago, NEG NAO said:

follow the pattern this winter a couple weeks cold and snowy with normal to above normal snow then warmer and March will continue the streak of temp AN and  Snowfall N/AN

I'd agree, we'll get a shot at one more before we're done.  Probably a 5-7 day stretch of BN temps before the inferno resumes

2 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Euros a few inches march 6-7 timeframe, ensembles for Gefs/Eps look similar... IMO... last chance as that ridge looks to reload 

There's going to be some record cold temps. broken this March if the GFS 0z run is right. It's depicting colder than average January highs during the first half of March. People are going to be very surprised by the time this record torch is over. I always thought the point to this climate change is the extremes of it. It's only going to get worse in my opinion. This is why I had a feeling that March will be below average month and so is the first half of April! Plenty of snow chances according to the GFS with a +PNA!

7 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

There's going to be some record cold temps. broken this March if the GFS 0z run is right. It's depicting colder than average January highs during the first half of March. People are going to be very surprised by the time this record torch is over. I always thought the point to this climate change is the extremes of it. It's only going to get worse in my opinion. This is why I had a feeling that March will be below average month and so is the first half of April! Plenty of snow chances according to the GFS with a +PNA!

Really? January temps. And how exactly are we going to see January temps in March with no snowcover whatsoever, bare ground, totally unfrozen Great Lakes with waters that are warm as hell, a March sun overhead, long daylight hours, well below normal soil moisture, and Atlantic SSTAs that are torched all along the coast? Can you please explain for us how the airmass is not going to modify at all? How exactly is that going to work? 

29 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Really? January temps. And how exactly are we going to see January temps in March with no snowcover whatsoever, bare ground, totally unfrozen Great Lakes with waters that are warm as hell, a March sun overhead, long daylight hours, well below normal soil moisture, and Atlantic SSTAs that are torched all along the coast? Can you please explain for us how the airmass is not going to modify at all? How exactly is that going to work? 

Some serious wishcasting going on.   Most of what's modeled is day 7+ and you know how that goes.

1 minute ago, Brian5671 said:

Some serious wishcasting going on.   Most of what's modeled is day 7+ and you know how that goes.

Lol yea and the Euro looks nothing like the GFS, huge red flag, alarm bells going off. The GFS has been severely cold biased all winter long in the long range. 

23 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Lol yea and the Euro looks nothing like the GFS, huge red flag, alarm bells going off. The GFS has been severely cold biased all winter long in the long range. 

What are you even talking about? Eps looks nothing like the euro op run and we all know how the models are with pattern changes. We have a chance of snow during the first 2 weeks of March. 

27 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Wth are you looking at? The Euro and GFS actually agree which is odd. Yeah the duration of the GFS may be exaggerated but the models agreeing should tell you something 

2 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Yes. He forgets that March can get cold as well. Yeah we're starting the fight against climo but it's the beginning of March not the end of it. 

Still, we can get a good size storm with the right setup.

NAO and AO still falling, PNA still on the rise

I like the first 2 weeks for something to pop

Very favorable

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

Post the GEFS and the EPS here. Lets all take a look.

if you are discussing specific model runs, please post them so this kind of stuff can stop happening. What models show is 100% objective. Whether or not you agree with what they show is on you, but if you are discussing runs, just post the pics so everyone can see what it shows. 

Archived