Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, forkyfork said:

i think the models are too far north with the heavier rains tomorrow and we'll get more than forecast. we are at the northern limit of the elevated CAPE yet the models show heavy convective precip in new england

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

12z NAM coming in very wet later today/tonight

namconus_apcpn_neus_5.png

4 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Seems like we dry out tomorrow and Thursday, then rain again Friday.  I think we're making a dent in this, at least here.

I don't even know how much it matters if we wipe that out or not.  I'm not yelling "DROUGHT!", I just find these maps interesting and they show the trends for sure from what I see. Gravity mentioned yesterday how it's actually muddy out there and I don't disagree, it certainly doesn't look like a drought out there at the moment. BX and I had a similar conversation last spring how the streams and lakes were bankful but we were below normal precipitation.  We shall see what the coming months bring with both the weather and all the vegetation coming back to life. 

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

I don't even know how much it matters if we wipe that out or not.  I'm not yelling "DROUGHT!", I just find these maps interesting and they show the trends for sure from what I see. Gravity mentioned yesterday how it's actually muddy out there and I don't disagree, it certainly doesn't look like a drought out there at the moment. BX and I had a similar conversation last spring how the streams and lakes were bankful but we were below normal precipitation.  We shall see what the coming months bring with both the weather and all the vegetation coming back to life. 

Melting snow steadily fills streams, rivers and lakes. So even though we haven't had that many above average rainfall days, the steady feed keeps levels above normal. Data from the water prediction center actually indicates that the soil is generally 50-80% saturated. That certainly increases runoff.

http://water.noaa.gov/tools/nwm-image-viewer

7 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah I get what you're saying.  The maps help us see what months/time periods were dry or not.

Archived