Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

43 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

Unimpressive late March high of 62.6 here, and now down into the upper 40s, continuing to plummet, with gusty, raw NELY winds. The interior may sneak in a warm day Tuesday, but it's a mediocre mild pattern for the coast. 60s at the end of March isn't anomalous like it is in winter. Keep in mind normals are getting into the upper 50s now.

Yeah 61 here for hi....remember the stretch in 1998 where temps from the 27th thru the 31st exceeded 80, with 87 being the highest.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Perhaps, but you'd have never considered the distinction without having seen this:

No, I doubt you can read my mind, but I have always understood that a backdoor cold front was a retrograding, occluded front off a strong, stationary off shore low bringing cool maritime air in off the North Atlantic Ocean 

30 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

No, I doubt you can read my mind, but I have always understood that a backdoor cold front was a retrograding, occluded front off a strong, stationary off shore low bringing cool maritime air in off the North Atlantic Ocean 

Typical early spring ups and downs, once the high moves off shore, return flow, and we warm back up. The battle of seasons 

On 3/24/2017 at 8:24 PM, Juliancolton said:

At least give proper attribution when you steal tweets to make it look like you know what you're doing. ;)

If you want to get technical, this weekend and early next week is basically a glorified stationary front moving back and forth north and south as both a warm and cold front 

3 hours ago, doncat said:

Yeah 61 here for hi....remember the stretch in 1998 where temps from the 27th thru the 31st exceeded 80, with 87 being the highest.

I hit 90 imby off of Arlene Street at the time...this came after the only snowfall to speak of that season on the 22nd...when I lived in Westerleigh on College ave my thermometer hit 100 at the peak of the 2002 April heat wave...

6 hours ago, bluewave said:
NWS Mount Holly 36m
A new daily high temperature record has been set at ACY. The high, so far today, is 81 which breaks the previous record of 79 (1963).#njwx
View details ·    

I remember that 79 in 1963...it was a shock to the system coming after one of the coldest winters on record...

4 hours ago, NJwx85 said:

Topped out in the middle 50's here. Now a steady light to moderate rain with temps in the lower to mid 40's. Still have tons of snow piles left and even some snow on grass in shaded or protected areas.

Yep, hit 55F here in the Bronx. Not as warm as expected with low clouds and drizzle. Some shady, north-facing areas STILL have snow, very impressive. Pretty isolated though.

Tomorrow looks crummy with mid 40s and rain. Late March/early April is one of my least favorite parts of the year.

3 hours ago, uncle W said:

I hit 90 imby off of Arlene Street at the time...this came after the only snowfall to speak of that season on the 22nd...when I lived in Westerleigh on College ave my thermometer hit 100 at the peak of the 2002 April heat wave...

I forgot how bad that 97-98 winter was...yes 1.7" fell on 3/22, but only 5.7" for the winter, ouch. My station reached 96 during April  2002.

11 hours ago, uncle W said:

I remember that 79 in 1963...it was a shock to the system coming after one of the coldest winters on record...

Impressive backdoor with a nearly 40 degree temperature drop in ACY. I believe close to 40 is the record for a spring backdoor like Boston saw in April 2002.

https://www.wunderground.com/history/airport/KBOS/2002/4/17/DailyHistory.html?req_city=&req_state=&req_statename=&reqdb.zip=&reqdb.magic=&reqdb.wmo=

go_cgi.gif.14d33b2ecfe6291dd460f712639850bb.gif

After an afternoon high of 42 Saturday (25th) with clouds and some drizzle and light rain most of the day and a Sunday morning low of 31, the snow pack Sunday (26th) morning is down to 3.3 inches.

Yesterday 1.4 inches in snow depth was lost. 83 days of snow cover this winter and counting, and 16 consecutive days this March. To be continued tomorrow.

Below is the snow cover of 1 inch or more so far this season. Despite a top ten warmest December through February it stands at 83 days and counting this season.

..............Eastern Orange County Winter 2016/17
................Days with snowpack and total snow
.........................................Consecutive......Snowfall
Begin date........End Date.....Days 1" cover....during period
20-Nov-16.......26-Nov-16.........6...................4.0
05-Dec-16.......26-Dec-16........21..................9.6
29-Dec-16.......31-Dec-16..........2..................1.7
06-Jan-17........12-Jan-17..........6..................2.7
14-Jan-17........16-Jan-17..........2..................1.0
23-Jan-17........22-Feb-17.........30................26.0
10-Mar-17........26-Mar-17.........16................25.7

...............................Totals......83................70.7

IT feels like winter outside. Dark and cold good day to sleep too bad I'm at work today. It was 37 in my car thermometer when I got to the city probably a bit higher realistically still I don't see the temps rising too much today if the cloud cover stays overhead. Hoping still for a below normal month? I wonder what Central Park is at now?

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

Hopefully, we get some really nice May flowers this spring. The Euro and GFS have a parade of storms beginning around April 1st with a low pressure moving through every 3-4 days. 

Really rotten scenario.  Lets see some warm and dry stuff so we can get outside and play.  I feel fat and lethargic when I can't get outside.

5 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Really rotten scenario.  Lets see some warm and dry stuff so we can get outside and play.  I feel fat and lethargic when I can't get outside.

Yeah, it looks like this pattern rolls right into the start of April with clouds and showers every few days. Very active Pacific split flow jet patten with the old winter La Nina northern branch dueling with the Nino 1+2 southern stream. 

6 hours ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

IT feels like winter outside. Dark and cold good day to sleep too bad I'm at work today. It was 37 in my car thermometer when I got to the city probably a bit higher realistically still I don't see the temps rising too much today if the cloud cover stays overhead. Hoping still for a below normal month? I wonder what Central Park is at now?

Yup I slept til 2pm today. Dreary here with 42F, low overcast, and NE winds. 

May be the last day for the winter coat and hat. Looks like spring arrives tomorrow with upper 50s and low 60s all week. Still expecting a cooldown April 5-10 but cold would be mid to upper 40s at that point.

Central Park is still near -3F for March departure. They are a lock to finish below average though the departure will be trimmed somewhat this week.

2 hours ago, nzucker said:

Yup I slept til 2pm today. Dreary here with 42F, low overcast, and NE winds. 

May be the last day for the winter coat and hat. Looks like spring arrives tomorrow with upper 50s and low 60s all week. Still expecting a cooldown April 5-10 but cold would be mid to upper 40s at that point.

Central Park is still near -3F for March departure. They are a lock to finish below average though the departure will be trimmed somewhat this week.

-3.7 for the month here. Mean temperature only slightly warmer than January.

39.2F with persistent mist here. Daytime temps never surpassed 41 - on par with January. This week looks generally near normal overall with mid to upper 50s for the most part. Tomorrow has the best chance for 60F+ it appears.

6 hours ago, Isotherm said:

-3.7 for the month here. Mean temperature only slightly warmer than January.

39.2F with persistent mist here. Daytime temps never surpassed 41 - on par with January. This week looks generally near normal overall with mid to upper 50s for the most part. Tomorrow has the best chance for 60F+ it appears.

Tom,

Holding at 37-38F tonight in Westchester...may be a little sleet mixing in but tough to tell. Very chilly night, still some snow remaining at 350-400' elevation in the woods. Mostly piles, though. 

Do you think we may see trough amplification in the Apr 5-10 period?

While it hasn't amounted to very much so far, this is the 4th day in a row with light rain or drizzle. The models continue the theme of showers every few days right into early April. We get chances to reach above the avg 53/38 temps for late March. This represents a new pattern here between the record warmth of February and the colder pattern in March.

KNYC_2017032700_dx_240.thumb.png.c519614fa792d57c71e19a8e1827d19d.png

12 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Hopefully this pattern delivers some rain.   Still in substantial drought here with very few high QPF events this winter. 

Yeah but the soil is completely saturated and the lakes and reservoirs are bankfull and running over the overflow dams.  We really don't need any more rain to "wipe out the deficit."

10 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah but the soil is completely saturated and the lakes and reservoirs are bankfull and running over the overflow dams.  We really don't need any more rain to "wipe out the deficit."

Agree to some extent.   Still pretty dry for parts of CT-D2 for the area which is severe drought.   Water emergency for many areas here with restrictions this spring-no irrigation etc.   Locally we're at 82% capacity for reservoirs which is below normal for late March.  Once the trees and grass start soaking up water it can get dry in a hurry if we have a 3rd consecutive dry spring around here.

-

U.S. Drought Monitor forNortheast

Archived