• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2017 Discussion & Observations

Rtd208

After an afternoon high of 47 Friday (24th) with clouds most of the day and a little rain and a Saturday morning low of 33, the snow pack Saturday (25th) morning is down to 4.7 inches.

Yesterday 1.3 inches in snow depth was lost. It is interesting to note that the inches lost each day seems to decrease the lower the depth becomes as the compression and LE of the remaining snow increases proportionately to the remaining snow depth. Areas on hills sloping towards the sun all day and under trees have bare spots. I would probably target Tuesday the 28th when the landscape will be more than 50% snow less. 82 days of snow cover this winter and counting, to be continued tomorrow.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can see that the March cold pattern is finally starting to wane as we are back to models trending milder again after going colder just a few days ago. The SE ridge is trending stronger with a weaker Canadian high pressing down from the north. While we have lost the source of Arctic air, Nino 1+2 may hold the cards as to whether we can see  a trough try to come back in the East from time to time as we head into April. But any cooler temps would be of Pacific and not Arctic origin.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK
 KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   3/25/2017  0000 UTC                       
 FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 SAT  25| SUN 26| MON 27| TUE 28| WED 29| THU 30| FRI 31| SAT 01 CLIMO
 X/N  58| 35  45| 38  59| 54  64| 50  57| 39  50| 39  49| 40  55 37 55

KNYC_2017032500_ecmwf_min_max_10.thumb.png.cde89881c7d3cda3f75e367522a16bc7.png

General rule of thumb is to forecast a slightly more equatorward progression of backdoors, especially given the cold waters and snow cover to the north.

This looks like a rather dreary pattern to me with backdoor city from 40N northward and limited torching - which is 70+ at this time of year

8 hours ago, nzucker said:

A lot of the runs have shown snow/mix  behind a departing low on 3/31 as well as the 4/5-4/10 cold period.

One thing is for certain: the idea of a warm March with 80s by late month looks completely incorrect. The GFS has been showing a new below normal pattern, starting Wednesday.

ignore the eps at your peril

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

You can see that the March cold pattern is finally starting to wane as we are back to models trending milder again after going colder just a few days ago. The SE ridge is trending stronger with a weaker Canadian high pressing down from the north. While we have lost the source of Arctic air, Nino 1+2 may hold the cards as to whether we can see  a trough try to come back in the East from time to time as we head into April. But any cooler temps would be of Pacific and not Arctic origin.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK
 KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE   3/25/2017  0000 UTC                       
 FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192      
 SAT  25| SUN 26| MON 27| TUE 28| WED 29| THU 30| FRI 31| SAT 01 CLIMO
 X/N  58| 35  45| 38  59| 54  64| 50  57| 39  50| 39  49| 40  55 37 55

KNYC_2017032500_ecmwf_min_max_10.thumb.png.cde89881c7d3cda3f75e367522a16bc7.png

Really going to take a chunk out of our monthly negative departures

13 minutes ago, pazzo83 said:

Pleasantly surprised we got into the 60s today.  Most all of our snow is totally nuked here in BPC now except for piles.  North-facing areas had been holding on.

Currently 43.3 F in Highland Lakes, NJ at my house.

Warm down south and must be an breeze too as Sea Girt & Harvey Cedars are in the high 40's

Latest Extremes

City, State Temp
Sicklerville, NJ 81
Egg Harbor Twp., NJ 80
Hammonton, NJ 79
Oswego Lake, NJ 78
Piney Hollow, NJ 78
City, State Temp
High Point Monument, NJ 41
High Point, NJ 45
Wantage, NJ 45
Sea Girt, NJ 49
Harvey Cedars, NJ 49

est Blog Posts

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Well it's 42 here with a 5 inch snow cover still. Not exactly spring like, but I'm good with it. The longer winter holds out the better. Spring weather isn't really to be counted on in these parts until early May.

yea it's like the middle of winter on my street. Huge snow banks and snow everywhere, lol

still covered in 8-10 inches of snow!!

4 hours ago, doncat said:

Thinking we end up with significantly less rainfall over the next few days than what has been predicted. Cooler air coming down from the north but still rising quickly here at 59 degrees.

Backdoors rarely deliver big rains-not sure why the models were so hung ho a few days ago...

1 hour ago, Animal said:

Currently 43.3 F in Highland Lakes, NJ at my house.

Warm down south and must be an breeze too as Sea Girt & Harvey Cedars are in the high 40's

Latest Extremes

City, State Temp
Sicklerville, NJ 81
Egg Harbor Twp., NJ 80
Hammonton, NJ 79
Oswego Lake, NJ 78
Piney Hollow, NJ 78
City, State Temp
High Point Monument, NJ 41
High Point, NJ 45
Wantage, NJ 45
Sea Girt, NJ 49
Harvey Cedars, NJ 49

est Blog Posts

It's balmy there, 39 here 

27 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Temp has dropped 4 degrees in the last hour here from a chilly 42, to a raw and breezy 38 with cloud cover and still a snow covered landscape. This is how winters are supposed to end around here, gradually and reluctantly.

And continues to drop, I'm at 37 now with light rain. 

1 hour ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Well it's 43 here with a 5 inch snow cover still. Not exactly spring like, but I'm good with it. The longer winter holds out the better. Spring weather isn't really to be counted on in these parts until early May.

By mid-April the warmth usually begins to settle in here.  For you it may be a couple weeks later.  I can't wait, this backdoor stuff is the worst.

6 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

By mid-April the warmth usually begins to settle in here.  For you it may be a couple weeks later.  I can't wait, this backdoor stuff is the worst.

The average high in NNJ in mid April is 60, with the average low about 40, to me that's not settled in warm yet, by mid May when the average high hits 70 that's to my thinking when you can count on the warmth. It's just semantics.

9 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Honestly warm weather is annoying. Today I was sweating just walking around and it was in the 50's. Forget about 90's and 100's. I can't wait for fall already!

16 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

And continues to drop, I'm at 37 now with light rain. 

Mt Holly NWS issued an alert for freezing rain over the higher terrain i 80 north tonight

Spotty light freezing rain could develop after midnight tonight over the high terrain near and north of Interstate 80. .DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...Sunday through Friday. Glazing could occur from periods of freezing rain and drizzle over the high terrain near and north of interstate 80 Sunday and Sunday night. Initially glazing should first develop on trees and wires but eventually the pavement could cool to near freezing.

Unimpressive late March high of 62.6 here, and now down into the upper 40s, continuing to plummet, with gusty, raw NELY winds. The interior may sneak in a warm day Tuesday, but it's a mediocre mild pattern for the coast. 60s at the end of March isn't anomalous like it is in winter. Keep in mind normals are getting into the upper 50s now.

anyone have data on the biggest temp difference on record from south Jersey to north Jersey.

Rather impressive 42 degree difference between Highpoint & Greenwich, NJ

Latest Extremes

City, State Temp
Greenwich, NJ 77
Woodbine, NJ 76
Upper Deerfield, NJ 75
Piney Hollow, NJ 75
Mannington Twp., NJ 73
City, State Temp
High Point Monument, NJ 35
High Point, NJ 36
Wantage, NJ 38
Charlotteburg, NJ 43
Wall Twp., NJ 44

most current information as of Mar 25 5:24 P

43 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The average high in NNJ in mid April is 60, with the average low about 40, to me that's not settled in warm yet, by mid May when the average high hits 70 that's to my thinking when you can count on the warmth. It's just semantics.

Yeah, it's a pretty subjective topic I guess.  My point was that this area typically sees its last freeze around then, and snow is basically out of the equation.

42 minutes ago, WeatherFeen2000 said:

Honestly warm weather is annoying. Today I was sweating just walking around and it was in the 50's. Forget about 90's and 100's. I can't wait for fall already!

C'mon Feen, sweating in the 50s!  What'd you have a Parka on?

Archived