Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Low topped squall line Saturday, February 25th, 2017

weatherwiz

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The environment was pretty meh too. Nothing really screamed severe as everything else in New England was meh. It also wasn't  a meso. Just a low level spin up that probably took advantage of some mesoscale things.

Mesoanalysis ivtink showed a pocket of maybe 250 J/KG MUcape is the area not too long before the TOR with I think like 300+ helicity

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

At least one of those is bogus. The December 1951 F2 on Marthas Vineyard seems more like an error in the database than something that's legit. 

Could be.  You can read the damage description by downloading the CDNS from December 1951 and then scrolling down to the severe storms table.  

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/IPS/cdns/cdns.html

12 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

I see it now. Good stuff! I didn't know that product existed... I tried to look through Storm Data but it didn't go back that for. 

Yeah, it's nice for that 1950-1958 pre-Storm Data period.  The descriptions lack a lot of info sometimes but it's better than nothing.

Wow, it is hard to believe we had a tornado yesterday, I mean it's February in New England. That being said good job to everyone who mentioned the threat. 

On a side note reading that storm data from the December 51 tornado event was wild( could have been slw, but the sink gurgling make me think twister), getting a tornado during a storm that gave most of the state snow.  Wild stuff. 

45 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

DIT ftw, he called severe and I completely meh'd it, that was impressive for any time of year in sne but Feb brings it to a whole other level....wow!!

Kudos to Wiz too as he mentioned the possibility as the wx rolled out of ny state

He calls severe for everything and it was one rogue cell for 10 minutes. Most of us had nothing.

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

No...you all assume that all convection has to be severe and everytime someone mentions convection it means severe

Wizard..Wednesday looks like it could be a very wild alive severe day for all of SNE. Parameters look far better than Saturday farther east with steep lapse rates and total totals in 50's.. We'll let you do the honor of firing up the thread.

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wizard..Wednesday looks like it could be a very wild alive severe day for all of SNE. Parameters look far better than Saturday farther east with steep lapse rates and total totals in 50's.. We'll let you do the honor of firing up the thread.

Wednesday is quite intriguing.  As usual best stuff may be to our SW but if anything moves it will have to be watched.  

46 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Perhaps you missed all the posts? There is nothing worse than overhyped severe in SNE. 

Who was overhyping?  

I think everyone pretty much understands what we're dealing with these setups...not widespread severe but pockets of severe and that whatever moves in needs to be watched given parameters.  

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That tornado was on the ground for 5 miles.  Holy crap.  Was just watching news coverage. Pretty incredible no one was killed

Lot of houses damaged, some friends of mine have set up a relief fund for donations. 

One of the damaged buildings was a huge restored barn filled with antiques. 

Archived