Newest Member
    joxey
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, yoda said:

FYI -- member e12 of the 12z GEFS has the snowstorm Day 7-8... 6"+... even though it shows nothing through 168

just looked it supresses the Sunday storm then brings up a system a day later and drops 6-10.  Some other GEFS members do that.  There are so many threats scattered within the mean its hard to keep track.  By far the highest probs are with the day 5/6 storm and the day 9-12 period.  But there are like 5 distinct waves/threats within the 16 day period and the number of hits is crazy.  Most of the runs manage multiple hits from some combo of those waves.  Basically holds the pattern long enough and get a wave train parade west to east under the block and....

I am trying hard to remain skeptical but honestly this is a dream pattern setting up.  And its not just one threat, we are talking several options to score here and each one is pretty good in some way.  And the pattern sets up within the next few days, were not talking about day 10 here.  This is going to be utterly cruel if this pattern turns out to be a mirage. 

Just now, psuhoffman said:

just looked it supresses the Sunday storm then brings up a system a day later and drops 6-10.  Some other GEFS members do that.  There are so many threats scattered within the mean its hard to keep track.  By far the highest probs are with the day 5/6 storm and the day 9-12 period.  But there are like 5 distinct waves/threats within the 16 day period and the number of hits is crazy.  Most of the runs manage multiple hits from some combo of those waves.  Basically holds the pattern long enough and get a wave train parade west to east under the block and....

I am trying hard to remain skeptical but honestly this is a dream pattern setting up.  And its not just one threat, we are talking several options to score here and each one is pretty good in some way.  And the pattern sets up within the next few days, were not talking about day 10 here.  This is going to be utterly cruel if this pattern turns out to be a mirage. 

Haven't see such an extended period of potential in quite awhile. Maybe 09/10? What I like seeing, and it can be seen with 12z gfs in regards to the day 9 storm which tracks to our west, is that even though the pattern relaxes it is is very brief and there is a quick reload. To be honest, if we get through this period without seeing some decent snow I may just give up tracking and take up ice fishing during the winter. 

4 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Haven't see such an extended period of potential in quite awhile. Maybe 09/10? What I like seeing, and it can be seen with 12z gfs in regards to the day 9 storm which tracks to our west, is that even though the pattern relaxes it is is very brief and there is a quick reload. To be honest, if we get through this period without seeing some decent snow I may just give up tracking and take up ice fishing during the winter. 

yea I think you have to go back to late January/early February 2010 to see something like this.  Now obvious caveats being that was prime climo and were fighting mid March climo with this one.  Also we have the benefit of knowing the outcome with that pattern this one is undecided.  But even thinking back to 2010 it wasnt like from late Janaury heading into that epic pattern it ever looked better then this.  At the time the late January storm looked south then yes Feb 5 was on the radar but the little tease storm Feb 2 wasnt picked up until the last minute and the Feb 9 thing wasnt even hinted at until late.  I honestly don't think ive ever seen a more loaded pattern from this range (start of the threats 5 days out).  Of course that does not mean the results are going to be as good or better then those memorable patterns.  I highly doubt it, in the end mid march climo is probably going to take its pound of flesh and one or more of these events will end up a little less then they would have been in mid winter.  But honestly right now if you asked me if we would see at least "some snow" I would put those odds pretty high.  And if you asked the odds of at least one areawide 3-6" or better event I would say those are fairly decent too which is saying a lot for this late in the year.  I wouldnt even put the odds of more then one hit that low given the pattern.  But I will say I am nervously looking for signs this isn't for real given the time of year and the utter craptastic year we have had. 

19 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yes, there are several waves in there that could do something for us.  Amazing pattern given what we're coming out of and the fact that it's March.  But it would be incredible to see this at any time during the winter.  Like you, I'm skeptical and cautiously optimistic here.  This looks like the best shot of the season and it's not out there in la-la land.  It would be especially cruel if nothing comes of it for sure (which is certainly a distinct possibility!).  I'm hoping that the depiction of so many waves doesn't end up resulting in one or two more "consolidated" ones that end up either too strong and pulling to our north or a southern slider like what happened in January.  Hasn't that happened before, several threat possibilities appear in the ensembles but it ends up really being different solutions of the same (larger) wave that doesn't quite work for us?  I haven't seen the details of this, maybe it's a different kind of set-up with clearly distinct waves and not just timing differences.

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Save this. Weeniest gefs run in a long time. 

IMG_0777.PNG

That is remarkable!  Must be the best since the week of the blizzard last January.

33 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Haven't see such an extended period of potential in quite awhile. Maybe 09/10? What I like seeing, and it can be seen with 12z gfs in regards to the day 9 storm which tracks to our west, is that even though the pattern relaxes it is is very brief and there is a quick reload. To be honest, if we get through this period without seeing some decent snow I may just give up tracking and take up   fishing during the winter. 

fixed....

:)

Nut

Just now, Deck Pic said:

Suppressed, but still a nice hit.  4-8" for DC/Southern Burbs, 2-4" for Baltimore...Central VA gets nailed.  Probably right where we want it :)

Half full is having wiggle room. Half empty is a continuing trend for a southern solution. Personally, I think it's a great run to add to the mix so far today.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived