SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blah, tracking this winter has been an absolute crapfest. After the thunder and hailstorm I had the other day not to mention the tornado it spawned just to my north and west, in Febuary no less, maybe I should take up severe instead. Guess I should crack open the books and maybe take that up as a new hobby. Because God knows, tracking snow seems to be a lost cause in these parts lately.

The consistent theme of the winter is the coin flip probabilities of anything beyond 7 days, including the ensembles.  Some have speculated as to what the real driver of the pattern has been, but there is some driver that has been able to mask itself from the models at long range.  It's kinda like that good looking girl you have been checking out on the other side of the night club after you've been there about 3 hours, and had a few too many. From a distance she's a 10, or at least a 9.  Once she starts walking over, her number starts falling, and pretty soon you decide that now might be a good time take a whizz.

6 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The consistent theme of the winter is the coin flip probabilities of anything beyond 7 days, including the ensembles.  Some have speculated as to what the real driver of the pattern has been, but there is some driver that has been able to mask itself from the models at long range.  It's kinda like that good looking girl you have been checking out on the other side of the night club after you've been there about 3 hours, and had a few too many. From a distance she's a 10, or at least a 9.  Once she starts walking over, her number starts falling, and pretty soon you decide that now might be a good time take a whizz.

She's a 2 at 10...and a 10 at 2

8 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

Nina's suck with very few exceptions. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

At least it stayed dry in California.. hahaha

The weather will do what it wants, regardless of what the indices tell you. Record snow cover in Siberia? Another worthless predictor for us.. I doubt anyone will give a crap what Cohen thinks next year. One things for sure, once it locks into a long wave pattern, it's a b**ch getting out of it. I think we should put more emphasis on how the pattern is coming together and repeating leading up to November to get any idea what might happen over the winter.

7 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

The weather will do what it wants, regardless of what the indices tell you. Record snow cover in Siberia? Another worthless predictor for us.. I doubt anyone will give a crap what Cohen thinks next year. One things for sure, once it locks into a long wave pattern, it's a b**ch getting out of it. I think we should put more emphasis on how the pattern is coming together and repeating leading up to November to get any idea what might happen over the winter.

Dont say that.  I mentioned that about a week ago... and people didnt like it

42 minutes ago, Yeoman said:

Weather being weather is always a factor regardless of any leading indicator. As it unfolds there is a lot of analysis to why it's doing what it's doing but in reality some things dont really need explaining and in many cases they can't be accurately explained anyway. 

However, I disagree about just looking at a stable long wave pattern and rolling that forward all winter. The majority of our winters will have opposing periods baked in. Many times  the majority of our snow falls during a fairly short window or a couple windows. Using your theory would also mean that having a cold and snowy Dec means we are going to have a big winter but there are a good number cases in the past have flipped to crap and we end up below normal. 14-15 was pretty dismal across the board until mid Feb but it ended up being a fairly impressive winter by the end. The only easy calls for a good winter are mod nino's with a good signal for the atlantic to cooperate. Those rare but fun years usually start showing their hands by mid Nov. 

This winter did have a giant red flag early and that was the AO. Big positive AOs in December mean warmer than normal and below normal snowfall the vast majority of the time. I knew we were in some pretty big trouble by early Jan and I mentioned it more than once. The magnitude of the suckfest certainly exceeded even my most pessimistic thoughts but it can happen and this definitely isn't our last major dud. 

1 hour ago, mitchnick said:

Nina's suck with very few exceptions. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

And for this region, I believe it! I remember seeing a chart of our winters going back to the 50s, and iirc, most of the Niña years were pretty paltry, while Niños produced something much more often! Neutral years may be more of a coin flip...

The look on the GEFS continues to deteriorate. Trough does not dig into the east as it did on previous runs and is now broad and flat. Though you couldn't completely rule out getting some northern stream energy underneath us the look probably argues against it. Even if we could get some energy underneath and if temps would cooperate think the best upside at this point would be of an inch or possibly two. Still time to right the ship but at this point it is looking pretty bleak. Hopefully the 00Z suite at least stops the bleeding.

10 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

The look on the GEFS continues to deteriorate. Trough does not dig into the east as it did on previous runs and is now broad and flat. Though you couldn't completely rule out getting some northern stream energy underneath us the look probably argues against it. Even if we could get some energy underneath and if temps would cooperate think the best upside at this point would be of an inch or possibly two. Still time to right the ship but at this point it is looking pretty bleak. Hopefully the 00Z suite at least stops the bleeding.

But but that nasty NA block towards the end! only 15 days away!

Oh and the snowfall mean has increased quite a bit on the 18z GEFS :P

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived