Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March medium/long range disco

psuhoffman

Just now, psuhoffman said:

It is a beauty but the trough response over the eastern us is pretty pathetic considering. It holds potential for sure just disappointing that given such extreme blocking all we can get is a very small area of somewhat low heights in the northeast. 

Agreed. I know I say this a lot, but the ePac is a constant thorn in our side.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Comparing 12z EPS with 0z, subtle differences at h5. NA looks pretty much the same. Some slight differences wrt to the AK trough, an overall flatter ridge in the western US, and the trough is not as deep (or cold) in the east days 9-12. Similar to the GEFS, a small step back. Not a trend..yet.

Was just going to post this. Definitely took a negative turn. 

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Agreed. I know I say this a lot, but the ePac is a constant thorn in our side.

Yea and I don't think the extremely warm sst off the east coast helps any either. It just seems that any cold response to what should be favorable factors is extremely muted each time. Blocking like that should have a much bigger trough associated with it.

6 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Was just going to post this. Definitely took a negative turn. 

Everything did. It could possibly flip again but I do think it's a trend because it showed up across all the guidance. The blocking is there but the response over the conus is being muted today on the guidance. The attempt at establishing a trough in the east is first blunted by the southeast ridge somewhat and then quickly fought off by ridging from the west forced by the crap pacific pattern. The same thing happened back a couple weeks ago. But the block is stronger this time and the time of year and I was hopeful we could get a different result this time. Still might but today, after several pretty good days of trends, felt like a punch to the gut.  It's still not a bad look and couod easily produce so I don't want to over react to one bad run but it's a downer and impossible to ignore given how things have gone this year. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Everything did. It could possibly flip again but I do think it's a trend because it showed up across all the guidance. The blocking is there but the response over the conus is being muted today on the guidance. The attempt at establishing a trough in the east is first blunted by the southeast ridge somewhat and then quickly fought off by ridging from the west forced by the crap pacific pattern. The same thing happened back a couple weeks ago. But the block is stronger this time and the time of year and I was hopeful we could get a different result this time. Still might but today, after several pretty good days of trends, felt like a punch to the gut.  It's still not a bad look and couod easily produce so I don't want to over react to one bad run but it's a downer and impossible to ignore given how things have gone this year. 

We could really use an 18z GFS happy hour pick me up. I have already made a vodka tonic, as the thunder rumbles in the distance. Need the rain but don't need damaging winds or hail. I will find out pretty soon.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm with you. Really thought we would see a better response with the trough considering the blocking and we did for a few runs. PAC has been killing us all year so why shouldn't it do so now as well. I am going to give it another day or two of runs to see if it can turn around otherwise I think I am going to call it quits and pack it in for the year. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The geps is even worse. Never gets lower heights down to our latitude at all. Again the blocking is there but the cold gets shunted off to our north and can't dig as the pacific blasts ridging across the conus under the blocking. 

The ridge/trough position around AK has been backwards almost the entire winter. Its 180 degrees out of phase for this upcoming period, and will likely wreck a classic NA set up.

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

The ridge/trough position around AK has been backwards almost the entire winter. Its 180 degrees out of phase for this upcoming period, and will likely wreck a classic NA set up.

Heard you guys mention that AK ridge all winter...could we label that as one of the main culprits for what we've seen (or haven't seen)? Or is it the Pacific in general? (La Niña)

22 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

We have had a decent ridge position there at times but only when the Atlantic side was crap. The two have never been timed up. 

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

We have had a decent ridge position there at times but only when the Atlantic side was crap. The two have never been timed up. 

Yes it has been good on a few occasions, but like you said the Atlantic has generally been crappy during those periods. Thus the crap winter. Getting any meaningful, sustained NA block has been an uphill battle, but expected given the state of the QBO. If this winter was to be "good", it needed to be primarily Pacific driven. That has not worked out at all.

eta- worked out very well for the western third of the US.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Yes it has been good on a few occasions, but like you said the Atlantic has generally been crappy during those periods. Thus the crap winter. Getting any meaningful, sustained NA block has been an uphill battle, but expected given the state of the QBO. If this winter was to be "good", it needed to be Pacific driven. That has not worked out at all.

eta- worked out very well for the western third of the US.

Wish I would have made that snow trip when you did. Except I think I would have crashed down at my brother's place in Va Beach. Think they had over a foot of snow down there if I recall correctly.

Just now, showmethesnow said:

Wish I would have made that snow trip when you did. Except I think I would have crashed down at my brother's place in Va Beach. Think they had over a foot of snow down there if I recall correctly.

In retrospect that was a really good decision. So glad I went. Even though I ended up with 6" imby, it was relatively mundane compared to being at the beach with 10" of wind driven powder. At least I have that one good memory in this otherwise wretched winter. And I think VA Beach underperformed a bit. Lots of sleet iirc. As it turned out, Rehoboth was pretty much a sweet spot for an all snow event in the MA with 10"+.

18z was a much better op run.  The flow is much more suppressed in general letting systems dig under us or at least get close. And it lost the cutter day 9.  The system around day 10 was close to being much bigger.  March is the time of year those things can dive into a trough and go nuts. Today was bad in general but this run is a reminder that most of the threats are still far enough out that significant changes will happen. Hopefully those changes are in our favor. 

2 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

One more ensemble cycle where we take another step back, and I will likely let 007 take my snow weenie soul for the winter. But not yet, 007!

I was about to say the same after looking at the 18z GEFS.  Also, the D10-15 2m temps are average to just slight below average.  That won't cut it as we get into mid-March.  

Chances for a historic winter continue to improve; Friday's clipper is now passing to our north and we look to have sprinkles or light rain and temperatures near 40.  The EURO pushes temperatures well into the 60s on Sunday and Monday (during our cold window) before a strong cold front brings post-frontal rain showers. Still a chance for a significant low to pass to our south as we transition out of this "cold" pattern but chances that it brings snow are minuscule. 

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Again I must be looking at it wrong because from my quick glance of the h5 loop I thought both the 0z gefs and geps were an improvement over the previous run.  

There were improvements, but to what end is the question. The general trend has been not as deep or cold with the eastern trough. The pacific is crappy, so the run to run differences basically reflect the degree of  "negative" impact here. There will be some sort of trough in the east, but how cold and how deep depends mostly on location and strength of that trough over AK and the exact location and amplitude of downstream ridging. The Euro op wants to displace the PV into AK or even the Gulf of AK, and if that happens W Canada would be totally flooded with mild air and our source region devoid of cold. Now the GFS/GEFS and EPS do not get the PV that far south and west, but the general trend over several runs has still been not as cold with more of a weak sauce eastern trough. Still in the game. Would be nice to see some better trends.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived