• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Spring/Summer 2017 Pattern Discussion

Carvers Gap

I'd take that in a heartbeat, loads up over my head for 4 inches. In any other winter at 36 hours out I'd be pretty darn stoked right now. This winter I can't gin up any enthusiasm for my back yard, any model run that's showed snow of more than an inch or two has been wrong this season no matter how close to the event.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, AMZ8990 said:

There is a nice band of snow coming across North West Tennessee and Western Kentucky now, Folks who live on the borders might get a small surprise today at some point.  

Unfortunately the freezing line is anything but level with latitude so in an hour or two the freezing line on radar will appear well into Indiana. The only people I see getting snowfall is in the climatologically favored regions late at night and that is really pushing it. NW flow will of course occur as well but it rarely amounts to anything significant.

Two straight nights of hard freezes coming up...hearing some reports that the storm was 50-75 miles west of guidance.  The westward jog w a strong coastal is the real deal.  The low in the Midwest messed-up the temp profile for us.  Looks like nice 4-5 day warm-up beginning this weekend...and then another cool down, albeit brief in comparison to this one.

After a bitterly cold day in the forum region(wind chills here in Kingsport ranged in the single digits this AM to lower 20s this afternoon), tonight will harbor the concerns that many have expressed regarding the Feb spring warmth...a long duration overnight hard freeze w lows in the mid-teens.  This would be impressive for all but the coldest climo days of Jan.   Here is the AFD from MRX...

.SHORT TERM /Tonight through Thursday/...
A cold, northwest wind will continue reinforcing a bitterly cold
arctic air mass. The combination of a clear sky and this cold air
will allow temperatures to plummett after sunset well below
freezing -- eventually bottoming out into the mid teens to lower
20s across the Valley. A freeze warning is in effect to address
this potential for a widespread, killing freeze. In addition,
winds along the East Tennessee Mountains will remain in the 10 to
15 mph range, and combined with bitterly cold air cause wind chill
values to drop to dangerously low levels in the -5 to -15 degree
range. By late morning these products will expire as temperatures
warm due to solar heating. A warmer day is expected as highs will
peak in the 40s to lower 50s.

Needs to slow down for severe season. Delays are good. Otherwise TNI will change to, I will cry. 

On 3/15/2017 at 11:27 AM, jaxjagman said:

BOM has a Nino watch. Strong  burst by the IDL  is holding everything back,regions 1+2 is +2.4 anoms, it's waiting to bust out. Most of the NMME'S show Nino forming into April like the BOM

Possibility of a moderate to strong El Nino would increase odds next winter is the 3rd mild one in a row. I know moderate can go either way, but consider it strong with the lingering warmth in the atmosphere around the globe. 

23 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Needs to slow down for severe season. Delays are good. Otherwise TNI will change to, I will cry. 

Possibility of a moderate to strong El Nino would increase odds next winter is the 3rd mild one in a row. I know moderate can go either way, but consider it strong with the lingering warmth in the atmosphere around the globe. 

I agree. Need it weak.  ENSO forecasts can be fickle so I am hoping it backs off a bit.  But after reading your thoughts, I can't disagree.  What number on the index above would constitute a moderate event, 2.0.

Unfortunately only 1.0 to 1.5 is moderate. 2.0 would crush winter with Midwest warmth invading like Sherman.

38 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

I agree. Need it weak.  ENSO forecasts can be fickle so I am hoping it backs off a bit.  But after reading your thoughts, I can't disagree.  What number on the index above would constitute a moderate event, 2.0.

Maybe it'll be wrong. Believe the predictability wall is April-May, and this is still just March madness. 

Also might add the global atmosphere is actually still in a La Nina mode, considering MJO convection over Indonesia well west of El Nino favored areas. While SSTs are rising in the Nino regions, SSTs are also still above normal around Indonesia. Current cold snap is a quick aberration from the mild background state. Once some dateline tropical convection dies off and/or retreats to Indonesia, and the NAO rises, back to our warm routine. See if we can tee up some severe late next week...

13 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Looks like it's on life support :(

Equatorial Pacific Temperature Depth Anomaly Animation

2 hours ago, JayCee said:

I assume some sort of front sits across east Tennessee this evening.  TYS is at 60, I'm at 47 and Morristown is 44. 

Yeah, I noticed that earlier Jaycee. Posted it in the Obs thread. At the time, it was actually 41 in Morristown and 60 in Knoxville. Meanwhile, it was 39 at the house with heavy rain and 39 at TRI with heavy rain.  I assume it had to do with the dewpoints being in the lower to mid 30s at the time, and the heavy precip falling was causing evaporative cooling. Kinda rare to see such a huge gradient though across the area. Interesting observation no doubt!

12 hours ago, Jed33 said:

Yeah, I noticed that earlier Jaycee. Posted it in the Obs thread. At the time, it was actually 41 in Morristown and 60 in Knoxville. Meanwhile, it was 39 at the house with heavy rain and 39 at TRI with heavy rain.  I assume it had to do with the dewpoints being in the lower to mid 30s at the time, and the heavy precip falling was causing evaporative cooling. Kinda rare to see such a huge gradient though across the area. Interesting observation no doubt!

I'd say you were right.  Dewpoints were low when the rain started, and probably cooled us down on this side of the valley.  It probably set up a warm front of sorts that Jax mentioned.  It was interesting.  Meanwhile, I recorded .86 of rain overnight.  Needed rain to help us get out of this moderate-severe drought we remain in.   

7 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Models during the past couple of days depict a pronounced warming trend for the forum area for the next 2-3 weeks.  Spring!

By the looks the next few weeks should bring in some decent amounts of rain this should help the soil out into the summer some what.Developing Nino we could possibly go dry into summer

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived