• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 70"+ Base Amounts are Fake News

TheSnowman

Now this is snow.  Mammouth Mtn snow report.  Just grabbed this pic.  Those buildings take quite a snowload.  Look at the drifts on those roofs.  I don't know the slope angle but look at that roof drift.  

LOL  on my waist comment and the 45-50" comment.  Just measured and my waist is 38".  Guess a bit of "fake posts and alternative facts"  coming out of me this eve!

Oct 10.0

Nov 19.0

Dec 75.0

Jan 245.5

Feb 148.0

Untitled.jpg

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, jckeane said:

Ok, I have to chime in as you are in my neighborhood.  I bet he drove up route 5 to the Andover general store, then took a left and heading up East B Hill to grafton notch, then back down 26 to Bear River trading post (closed...).   I believe the NOAA observer is straight through the general store intersection out Wyman Hill Road.  I have a house above Howard Pond in Hanover (Elev. 1175) and my pack is a solid 60".  Definitely not surprised if Andover Observation is accurate.  I am up at Howard Pond every weekend summer and winter.  Super CAD and retention spot...

I can't confirm but I'm pretty sure this is the case, right about at the star.

Andover.png

She's at the mouth of her own little ravine, so I wouldn't be surprised if she collects snow on a smaller scale like Tuckerman's. She's had more than 3 feet for a max depth 8 times in her 16 years. More than 50" 3 times. So this isn't completely out of the blue.

Remember @CoastalWx stole all our snow in '14-'15 and the mountains didn't get in on the goods as much. In fact she missed out on a 3 foot pack that year (33"). 

I know our SWE surveys from up north are reporting as much as 12" in the pack. So this has some meat to it, no fluff left.

7 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Andover.png

She's at the mouth of her own little ravine, so I wouldn't be surprised if she collects snow on a smaller scale like Tuckerman's. She's had more than 3 feet for a max depth 8 times in her 16 years. More than 50" 3 times. So this isn't completely out of the blue.

Remember @CoastalWx stole all our snow in '14-'15 and the mountains didn't get in on the goods as much. In fact she missed out on a 3 foot pack that year (33"). 

I know our SWE surveys from up north are reporting as much as 12" in the pack. So this has some meat to it, no fluff left.

Sounds like a true hermit. Living amongst hundreds of unsolved mysteries

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Andover.png

Too bad Corey didn't bring along this map. That is one beautiful area, a place I would love to retire to. The fishing is off the hook and snowmobile trails forever plus a hop skip and jump to SR

Untitled.png

14 hours ago, jckeane said:

Ok, I have to chime in as you are in my neighborhood.  I bet he drove up route 5 to the Andover general store, then took a left and heading up East B Hill to grafton notch, then back down 26 to Bear River trading post (closed...).   I believe the NOAA observer is straight through the general store intersection out Wyman Hill Road.  I have a house above Howard Pond in Hanover (Elev. 1175) and my pack is a solid 60".  Definitely not surprised if Andover Observation is accurate.  I am up at Howard Pond every weekend summer and winter.  Super CAD and retention spot...

The first pic in the O.P. looks kind of like East B Hill, so I suspect you are correct, and the northerly loop on the map is drawn far above the actual route taken.  (And if he'd actually found the easy-to-miss turn for South Arm, I'd have to apologize for questioning his map reading ability.)  If he actually used East B, he should've gone up the Cataracts trail and enjoy both the snow and the scenic little gorge.

20 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

nest_cam_mammoth_lakes.png

Untitled.png

16 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Barnbackresize.jpg

east.jpg

front path.jpg

IMG_0632.JPG

Now......  THIS...... is what... I'm..... Talking.... about.    

The First Mammoth Picture is Clearly a mind Exploding Amount of snow.  Even without the first picture.  The chunk inbetween the road and shoveled walkway is freaking 10 +feet, and even if snow was pushed and plowed there, it's still obscene.  

The 2nd Picture is What I THOUGHT I was going to see in Andover.  The only view of snow OTG is in the 2nd picture on the left (2-3 feet) but Every other aspect of those pictures, Screams "At least 5'-6' is around here".  

13 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Now......  THIS...... is what... I'm..... Talking.... about.    

The First Mammoth Picture is Clearly a mind Exploding Amount of snow.  Even without the first picture.  The chunk inbetween the road and shoveled walkway is freaking 10 +feet, and even if snow was pushed and plowed there, it's still obscene.  

The 2nd Picture is What I THOUGHT I was going to see in Andover.  The only view of snow OTG is in the 2nd picture on the left (2-3 feet) but Every other aspect of those pictures, Screams "At least 5'-6' is around here".  

BASE DEPTH

200"

Main Lodge 8,909'

BASE DEPTH

280"

McCoy Station 9,630'

BASE DEPTH

350"

The Summit 11,053'

Is Tuckerman's Revine like a Glory Spot of Snow Heaven?  Like the Tug Hill Platau?  

Also so about the drive, The Purple line is the drive, but the Multi-Colored Section on Upton Rd?  East Hill Rd.?  No idea what it is, is where I was Freaking Out and Swearing at the TOP of my lungs about Maine.  The Road was plowed but choppy for the car, so to add to Everything else I already wrote about with no intersecting roads or people or cars, or Life on that section of the drive, there was also me worrying about destroying the car... AND I was running out of GAS!  And had NO idea where I was.  Plus NO idea if it would reconnect back to 26,  if it didn't, what I have enough gas to go back the entire route I came back to civilization in South Paris.  Only my common sense said yes it would connect to 26 BUT also I didn't get reception until I go back to Rte. 2.  

Old Spec Mtn. Area though?  Gorgeous.  I want to Climb and Alwd that!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

Is Tuckerman's Revine like a Glory Spot of Snow Heaven?  Like the Tug Hill Platau?  

Also so about the drive, The Purple line is the drive, but the Multi-Colored Section on Upton Rd?  East Hill Rd.?  No idea what it is, is where I was Freaking Out and Swearing at the TOP of my lungs about Maine.  The Road was plowed but choppy for the car, so to add to Everything else I already wrote about with no intersecting roads or people or cars, or Life on that section of the drive, there was also me worrying about destroying the car... AND I was running out of GAS!  And had NO idea where I was.  Plus NO idea if it would reconnect back to 26,  if it didn't, what I have enough gas to go back the entire route I came back to civilization in South Paris.  Only my common sense said yes it would connect to 26 BUT also I didn't get reception until I go back to Rte. 2.  

Old Spec Mtn. Area though?  Gorgeous.  I want to Climb and Alwd that!  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Wish you had asked us, 26 to 2 to 5 is easy as pie, also if you had asked Chris he could have dotted where the observer lives. Such a beautiful area.

That video is NUTS!!!!  mHOLY JESUS SNOWMAN!  That's an Off Ramp and you can See the On Ramp and highway.  I won't  be back to LA until early April ://  

And Ginx I just don't know who is where on these boards because they don't show the towns they are in inside people's boxes next to their names on these threads.  I did try to message Dryslot but the site said I could not message him because my inbox was full even after I kept deleting messages.  

We need  to have a section on the site where people can post their actual email and phone number if they want.  

1 hour ago, TheSnowman said:

Mount Washington averages 280" per year, its Dec-Mar temp averages under 10F, and the deepest snowpack measured in its 60+ years' record is 42".  Tucks is immediately downwind for the prevailing N-NW gales, so a lot of that non-accumulating powder winds up in the ravine.  In 1969, the snowiest winter on record in that country (Washington had more than 550" and Pinkham Notch depth peaked at 164"), it was estimated that the deepest places in Tuckerman's had up to 90 feet.  People were making jokes about the Mount Washington glacier. 

My older Maine Atlas and Gazetteer from DeLorme (handy tool when driving back roads - I think there's one for each state) has that road labeled as Upton Road coming west from Andover and East B Hill heading east from 26, a not uncommon form of ambiguity in NNE.  Always been East B to me.  Note:  DeLorme has been purchased by Garmin, but I think the atlas will still carry its original name.  And a trivia note - the lower map shortchanges the Maine Public Reserved Lands in the Mahoosucs, which lands extend north of Route 26 all the way to East B Hill, with a corner north of that road.

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have....... NO..... Words..... None..... for that video.  

No freaking Words.  That is the closest thing you'll ever see to that Picture of Japan with the 50 foot walls of ice that no one can explain.  

Is it not funny that if someone from outside the weather world read this thread, they'd think I just said Every person from Maine has a Small D**k, and the Hordes of Men came Crashing in with their Pitch Forks and Torches.  I LOVE you Guys.  Total Snow Nuts.  

21 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

I have....... NO..... Words..... None..... for that video.  

No freaking Words.  That is the closest thing you'll ever see to that Picture of Japan with the 50 foot walls of ice that no one can explain.  

Is it not funny that if someone from outside the weather world read this thread, they'd think I just said Every person from Maine has a Small D**k, and the Hordes of Men came Crashing in with their Pitch Forks and Torches.  I LOVE you Guys.  Total Snow Nuts.  

found you a house

Untitled.png

Archived