Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 70"+ Base Amounts are Fake News

TheSnowman

4 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, our coops all have snow stakes. They could resort to an across their yard average if they had reason to believe their snow stake measurement was somehow inaccurate, but we don't require that kind of effort on a daily basis.

And as early as Friday they were already cutting down the banks and removing snow in front end loaders around here so that there weren't accidents from people pulling out blindly into traffic.

Kingfield was 68 too if I recall. Sounds like Corey never left the car. This is funny. 

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Driving 12 hours , using 3 tanks of gas to places where many unsolved mysteries are buried in woods, and then just looking at snowbanks in hermits driveways.. not getting out into untouched spaces...thinking thats all the snow they got does seem more than a bit odd and disturbing 

He could have just driven to Pinkham Notch walked up the trail a half mile where depths were 60 plus . Still laughing.  

Screenshot_20170220-113641.png

9 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, our coops all have snow stakes. They could resort to an across their yard average if they had reason to believe their snow stake measurement was somehow inaccurate, but we don't require that kind of effort on a daily basis.

And as early as Friday they were already cutting down the banks and removing snow in front end loaders around here so that there weren't accidents from people pulling out blindly into traffic.

Another reason to depend on snow stakes is that, unless one has quite a large yard, those daily excursions will track up all the snow, spoiling it for measuring.  (A deer passed 2' from my stake, so its wallow track may result in that metric being lower than it ought.)

Well...... it was ALL BS.  I  had one of the worst drives of my entire life into deep Maine, where there is no service to the point that you're navigation doesn't even know where your bubble is, there are no roads intersecting so you have no idea where you are even if you're smart, and there are hardly any people, hardly any houses, hardly any gas stations, hardly any Anything.

Geezers like me learned how to read a map.  I'm guessing your routes were all on paved roads, mostly on numbered highways - maybe 26 to 2 (perhaps via 232) to 5, which heads up into Andover.  They're not the interstate, but I much prefer roads where I meet 2-3 vehicles per mile to one where it's 40-50.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Another reason to depend on snow stakes is that, unless one has quite a large yard, those daily excursions will track up all the snow, spoiling it for measuring.  (A deer passed 2' from my stake, so its wallow track may result in that metric being lower than it ought.)

Well...... it was ALL BS.  I  had one of the worst drives of my entire life into deep Maine, where there is no service to the point that you're navigation doesn't even know where your bubble is, there are no roads intersecting so you have no idea where you are even if you're smart, and there are hardly any people, hardly any houses, hardly any gas stations, hardly any Anything.

Geezers like me learned how to read a map.  I'm guessing your routes were all on paved roads, mostly on numbered highways - maybe 26 to 2 (perhaps via 232) to 5, which heads up into Andover.  They're not the interstate, but I much prefer roads where I meet 2-3 vehicles per mile to one where it's 40-50.

His no service line was really funny, God forbid...Although my GPS on my truck works fine everywhere I go in Maine

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

His no service line was really funny, God forbid...Although my GPS on my truck works fine everywhere I go in Maine

Imagine Cory getting lost in the woods of Maine. Running out of food and water and dying from the elements. Hikers find his body...nothing but a skeleton with an accordion next to it. He's even holding on to it...ripping a few tunes away as he succumbs. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Imagine Cory getting lost in the woods of Maine. Running out of food and water and dying from the elements. Hikers find his body...nothing but a skeleton with an accordion next to it. He's even holding on to it...ripping a few tunes away as he succumbs. 

Lmao but pretty sure he never leaves his car. 

I have no idea how anyone could expect 20' roadside snowbanks.  The lower phone/cable wires on utility poles aren't even up that high.

Even the huge piles in most parking lots don't reach 20 since most loaders max out with only 12-14' of lift.  For taller than that, I think you're probably limited to municipal snow dumps where they use excavators.

Sorry Cory, but this thread is really lolz.  It's been said a few times, but really...why no venturing away from the car, especially after that ride?   I would have brought my snow shoes, a tent, a heater, and plenty of tissues to help contain my excitement after finding a deep as hell spot in the woods somewhere.  Pure heaven it would have been.  

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Lol.. the police actually find several bullets lodged in the keyboard as hunters mistook the melodies for deer mating calls

When we survey SWE for the next couple of months, it requires us strapping on snow shoes and heading into the woods to get an accurate measurement of what's on the ground. 

I have no doubt that the majority of the northern half of our forecast area is solidly 30-40" depths, with pockets of 60+. 

15 hours ago, dendrite said:

You expected 15 to 20ft banks on the side of the road in the boonies? Like tamarack said, the plows toss the snow way back and manipulate it in a way to prepare for the next one. Did you even get out of your car to walk into the woods and do an actual measurement? Did you seriously drive that far and only judge it by the snow banks?

I judged by a Whole bunch of things, including getting out of the car and digging in untouched areas.  

Yes that Stowe, VT set of pictures is what I'm talking about.  That would have been impressive.  But 70" on the ground on every square inch of ground average should be Utterly Mind Blowing and Obvious.  This was not even Close to that.  It was just Incredibly Impressive, as the Boston area 2 years ago was.  

At least a ton of Hilarious comments came out of this hahaha!  Skeleton with an accordion, filled with bullets from mistaken hunters, looking at an iphone for a signal that wouldn't come.  

I'm just shocked people think I was looking at Only the snow banks to measure snow.  I got out, I did the ridiculousness of digging with my hand until I hit the ground, but also I have as Good as an eye as Anyone from just analyzing how the snow is sitting on Every surface, wall, fence, car, pole, etc...... on every sight I saw for hours.  There was absolutely, Positively, NO 60"-79" on the ground.  I saw so many fences near Andover as well, which were at most, what, 5 feet high?  6 feet high?  Out in the middle of large untouched farms...and the snow was NO WHERE Near the top.  

I did Almost take a trip up to Mammouth Mnt. in CA during the LA trip which had received 16 Feet of snow in 10 days.  But never got to go.  But even that, as the website has it's own webcams you can move on your own, didn't look like even 6 feet fell, especially in the city where you could clearly see things.  

Archived