Newest Member
    joxey
Feb. 23-25th Storm Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

With the south shifts, looks like it's gone from an MSP hit to a frankthetank special.

I'm still alive and yes..i've been following this since last Sunday ...

I think the Euro has been south the whole time...  be interesting to see what 12z shows when it comes out.   People around town are in denial.  Please aim the next one at Saukville.

9 hours ago, daddylonglegs said:

I'm still alive and yes..i've been following this since last Sunday ...

I think the Euro has been south the whole time...  be interesting to see what 12z shows when it comes out.   People around town are in denial.  Please aim the next one at Saukville.

Dude! You are alive! Good to hear from you. Hope you get buried.

10 hours ago, Willh said:

I also got officially diagnosed with the flu! Passed the nasal test and everything. Been sick for 9 days. Everyone in the Keweenaw is sick.

Same 10 people passing it back and forth.  I haven't been sick in a few years like that.

Marquette county and two other counties upgraded to a warning.  Hi-res models literally have mby the bullseye in the UP with 1.3 qpf.  I wouldn't be surprised to see 15" or possibly a bit more isolated here and there.

4 minutes ago, Willh said:

Nice!

Is there any public source for the models you use?

Snowing lightly here already.

I have a weatherbell subscription, but I don't think we can post maps from there, not sure.   http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=wrf-arw&region=ncus&pkg=asnow&runtime=2016122000&fh=48&xpos=0&ypos=216 this is also a good site.

Just now, Willh said:

Oh, nice. Yeah I had Weatherbell going but d/ced it back in January because it didn't seem to matter since it was just snowing everyday for the previous 40 something odd days, lol.

Glad to see the Hurons getting some good snow. My mother is visiting my wife and I next week and I'm planning to go out towards the Hurons and Marquette multiple times with her...I love the area between L'anse and Negaunee and the few times I went north of that line I especially loved it - reminded me a great deal of the Allagash in Maine.

Just flurries here so far, but the ne wind is really blowing around the snow from yesterday morning.

This time of the year, it's hard to get more than a few miles north off the main road into the Huron wilderness.  The most accessible side is the side where I live, but even here, there's just no main roads that penetrate very far... especially this time of the year.  If you come to the area, do the County rd 550 north out of Marquette to Big bay, and loop south on County rd 510.  It hugs the east ridge of the Huron's, is usually plowed good and has great rugged scenery.  That's about as far in as you'll get safely.

21 minutes ago, Willh said:

Thanks for the tip, will definitely check that road out next week.

Is the Huron area, visually, also your favorite part of the UP?

I know a lot of people tend to pick either the Keweenaw or Munising...but Munising is a bit flat imo and the Keweenaw is a bit more maritime (which, coming from Maine, is something I've had enough of, lol)...but when I head to Marquette, I just love the look of the endless rolling hills/semi mountains in your area. The feel of the isolation...and, my favorite part, the pointed firs. Your area seems to have a far more pronounced number of pointed firs mixed in with the hard woods and for some reason that has always been my favorite style of forest. Idk why it's so much more pronounced out your way...when I drive down towards Twin Lakes and Ontonagon...it's far more hardwoods and very few pines. The keweenaw has a bit more in the way of pointed firs...but...as soon as you head up the hill out of L'anse...it looks like interior Alaska.

I love it.

Honestly, it's hard to say.  I love anywhere that's remote and doesn't have the disruption of humans everywhere.  As a rule, the western part of the UP is rugged and rocky and the east is low, swampy, and bush like.  There's not really anything I dislike about this area, and I like Marquette enough for a small town.  You should really do the Huron's on a quad in the summer.  I've spent days and days in the woods riding and exploring and never come across another person.  Anyway, back to the storm!

8 minutes ago, Willh said:

What's your snow depth pre storm?

Not sure about up here but we took a heavy hit from the last super thaw and are down to around 30-32 inches on the ground...and as soon as u go south towards the Houghton County Airport...or slightly downhill towards Allouez...the depths drop off to around 2 feet or just under.

Snowing lightly right now...only a dusting so far. Expecting ~10 inches of synoptic/lake enhanced snow between now and Saturday evening. Would like more...but I've lucked out in every storm so far, time to share with the rest of the UP.

Grats on thunder snow Josh! I still haven't experienced that up here yet. That'll be awesome.

12-14" on the ground this morning.  The thaw was pretty bad here... lost 20".  Several days in the mid 50's with sun/wind.  Being on a peninsula surrounded by the icy cold waters of Superior, I imagine you would fair better. Great setup for heavy snow here later today.  Radar looks weak to me tho.

Deformation band now centered over us, bringing with it the first post-changeover precip. Snowing vigorously now, with a thick dusting present. I expect an inch, maybe 1.5" tops before all is said and done. If one were to take an average of every model run's snow output for the past 4 days for the storm I'd say we'll end up with half of what was expected.

Archived