SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 24-25th Severe Weather

Anti tornado

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a solid event for February by any standard at this longitude / latitude. Considering that we should be buried in snow and freezing our asses off now, can you really complain?

While there wasn't a whole lot of wind with either round (the 2nd round coming through now has a bit more), the initial round did have hailstones mixed in, the best lightning I've seen in some time and even flash flooding (despite PWATS of *only* 1" and dewpoints in the mid/upper 50s).

On February 21, 2017 at 1:39 AM, Quincy said:

The #1 analog as of 00z is 3/13/06 and that was a busted MDT risk for the Ohio Valley.

It's actually a very good analog given the synoptic setup, wind fields and low-level moisture. 18z special ILN RAOB had a 56F dew-point, FWIW:

image.png

image.png

image.png

A little bit more active up north than 3/13/06, but given the generally sporadic nature of severe reports, I'd argue the ENH risk didn't/won't verify. 

As mentioned earlier, the lack of a well-defined prefrontal trough markedly lowered the warm sector supercell tornado potential. It was simply too early in the season (think moisture) for a notable warm front threat. The only thing that could have offset the calendar would have been a much stronger than forecast surface low. Veering winds coupled with a contaminated warm sector didn't help either, but SPC did a fair job in the short-term, opting for a severe thunderstorm watch over a tornado watch. 

image.png

6 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Quite surprised about the amount of standing water in my neighborhood, we must have got crushed with one or both of the lines.

Ben Bailey showed radar rainfall estimates during the 11pm newscast and it showed a zone of 1-3" of rain fell from between DTW-ARB to between DET-MTC. 

And that sounds about right, given it roughly aligns with the track of the initial round of storms.

5 hours ago, Powerball said:

This was a solid event for February by any standard at this longitude / latitude. Considering that we should be buried in snow and freezing our asses off now, can you really complain?

While there wasn't a whole lot of wind with either round (the 2nd round coming through now has a bit more), the initial round did have hailstones mixed in, the best lightning I've seen in some time and even flash flooding (despite PWATS of *only* 1" and dewpoints in the mid/upper 50s).

Lol. Yes I can complain. Rather be buried in snow. Late February lately has been very snowy even though historically it's a bit more bit and miss as some mild spells start to show. Starring back to back marches 2014 & 15) with a foot+ snowpack had never happened before. You would have not been a happy camper with the storms imby. We had a bit of thunder and lighting with that first storm that skirted to my north with hail, and barely enough rain to wet the ground. Then later in the evening we had briefly heavy rain but little wind and I don't even think any thunder. While I haven't measured probably under a quarter inch of rain. 

50 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Lol. Yes I can complain. Rather be buried in snow. Late February lately has been very snowy even though historically it's a bit more bit and miss as some mild spells start to show. Starring back to back marches 2014 & 15) with a foot+ snowpack had never happened before. You would have not been a happy camper with the storms imby. We had a bit of thunder and lighting with that first storm that skirted to my north with hail, and barely enough rain to wet the ground. Then later in the evening we had briefly heavy rain but little wind and I don't even think any thunder. While I haven't measured probably under a quarter inch of rain. 

Considering the amount of lightning I had tonight at the airport, I don't know how you missed it. Especially since a lot of it was to the south and east of me.

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Considering the amount of lightning I had tonight at the airport, I don't know how you missed it. Especially since a lot of it was to the south and east of me.

The first round of storms only grazed downtown and downriver communities (Cutting ENE from south of Ann Arbor to northern sections of Detroit), so what michsnowfreak says happened sounds about right.

The second round of storms didn't have much lightning in any location (we only had one strike with a loud crack of thunder here).

4 minutes ago, Powerball said:

The first round of storms only grazed downtown and downriver communities (Cutting ENE from south of Ann Arbor to northern sections of Detroit), so what michsnowfreak says happened sounds about right.

The second round of storms didn't have much lightning in any location (we only had one strike with a loud crack of thunder here).

Yup. If you can even call it graze. I heard rolling thunder with that afternoon storm. Then heard those ticks of rain very briefly then silence. Then looked outside and the pavement only had that splotchy wet look where there were patches of dry pavement. Meanwhile my sister in St Claire shores had heavy downpour with lots of thunder and lightning and another friend who lives just nw of detroit posted a video of it hailing. And as said it rained hard briefly in the evening but I was lying in bed and didn't look out the window. I know I didn't hear thunder though as I was awake. If it was close lightning I would have seen it shine through the drapes but if it was distant lightning I wouldn't have really seen it.

Up near Gaylord the nws posted a video of it absolutely pouring hail. They had a bit of snow earlier in the day and now a severe thunderstorm lol.

Bottom line is there were a few good storms in the state (though no tornadoes) but imby it was a non event. 

I know it isn't for our region but there were a couple tornadoes out east today, plus a good amount of severe reports. Makes sense as the low did strengthen once it lifted out of the region plus they had a bit better instability out east. A decent event for the east coast all in all.

18 hours ago, Stebo said:

I know it isn't for our region but there were a couple tornadoes out east today, plus a good amount of severe reports. Makes sense as the low did strengthen once it lifted out of the region plus they had a bit better instability out east. A decent event for the east coast all in all.

There was even a tornado in Massachusetts.  First one in that state in February.

Archived