Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coop Crushing Snow Observations 02/15/17

wxeyeNH

Hi everyone!

Spent some time the past couple of days researching the relative PNS' from all three significant "winter storm" events I documented, between 2/9/17 and 2/16/17, in order to derive a best educated guess (estimate) as to how much snowfall I actually observed during each individual event.

That being said, here are a few various stats related to this 8.5 day period (including total drive from the time I left my house late on the 8th, until I returned home early on the 17th).  

Total chase hours logged: 204

Total miles driven: 4288

Total number of hours slept: 38 (stayed up 40 hours straight for event #1, 38 hours event #2, and 22 hours straight for event #3).  

Total number of hours of accumulating snowfall (directly observed): 59

Total estimated amount of observed snowfall: 80.7" (28.5", 43.2", and 9")

Total number of occurences of TSSN: 9 or 10 (6 or 7 Providence, RI, 3 Plymouth, MA)

Total number of states where I observed falling snow: 7 (NJ, NY, CT, RI, MA, NH, ME)

Total number of sleepless nights on the couch since returning home: 2

Note: The amount of snowfall I observe is typically much greater than one individual observation point receives as I am usually chasing the heaviest bands and convection.  That was the case during the two blizzards, but not so for event #3.  In the latter event, I was late getting to the best banding near Sebago, ME, and the areas I traversed preceding that time weren't accumulating as quickly.  Consequently, while I observed 9" total in those 12.25 hours...N Sebago recorded 16.5".

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived