Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Coop Crushing Snow Observations 02/15/17

wxeyeNH

Just now, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Love how the folks who got crushed by Jan blizz and following 30 days can circle jerk each other in memory but God forbid the rest of us want to join in someday.  Like the cool high school click, the west of river folks just want to get a taste of what cool feels like.....if we are allowed to. 

Glad we don't live there

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm telling you...these guys didn't start whining out of control for nothing...they saw it before the rest of us did. They are all doing very well after throwing multiple tantrums earlier this winter.

We were behind the curve.

There is a method to the madness.

In all seriousness I haven't complained in while. I only really melted over the holidays when the pattern sucked because...well...the pattern sucked. February has been very kind. No denying that.

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

It would probably be 1969 though looking at the Farmington coop (84" on 2/28).

That record really stands out, as that co-op's 2nd tallest is 28" less - 1971 and 1993 tied.  It was reached when 43" fell atop a 41" pack, which seems odd - no compaction?  However, the depth then decreased about as one would expect given the wx over the subsequent weeks.  Next highest I've found (prior to the current pack in Andover) was mid-70s, in Andover, Jackman, and 2 yr ago in Machias, at 20 asl.  (Their next tallest is 39" - no surprise that 2015 blew the doors off.) 

My dream of topping 50" slipped off to the south.  That Tuesday afternoon map would've done it, but my 6.2" merely brought the depth back to 46".  Plenty solid, though, with 11-12" LE.  If I get ambitious over the weekend I'll take a full core - the 2" IP/ZR crust from Jan 24 will be hard to sample accurately, however.  (Maybe I should assume 50% water and measure the rest?) 

In 1983-84 (Fort Kent) the massive pack included a 3" crust from a mid Dec ice storm that held 1.9" LE - don't ask how long it took me to make a core.  That moose-carrying layer had 1/2" of clear ice surrounded top and bottom by 1.25" layers of ZR-welded IP.

24 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That record really stands out, as that co-op's 2nd tallest is 28" less - 1971 and 1993 tied.  It was reached when 43" fell atop a 41" pack, which seems odd - no compaction?  However, the depth then decreased about as one would expect given the wx over the subsequent weeks.  Next highest I've found (prior to the current pack in Andover) was mid-70s, in Andover, Jackman, and 2 yr ago in Machias, at 20 asl.  (Their next tallest is 39" - no surprise that 2015 blew the doors off.) 

My dream of topping 50" slipped off to the south.  That Tuesday afternoon map would've done it, but my 6.2" merely brought the depth back to 46".  Plenty solid, though, with 11-12" LE.  If I get ambitious over the weekend I'll take a full core - the 2" IP/ZR crust from Jan 24 will be hard to sample accurately, however.  (Maybe I should assume 50% water and measure the rest?) 

In 1983-84 (Fort Kent) the massive pack included a 3" crust from a mid Dec ice storm that held 1.9" LE - don't ask how long it took me to make a core.  That moose-carrying layer had 1/2" of clear ice surrounded top and bottom by 1.25" layers of ZR-welded IP.

4" PVC pipe hammered into the pack works great

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not on the mountain...they've basically been maximizing every upslope event there. For the rest of VT, those other two winters were much much better than this one.

That’s right, as was ‘08-‘09.  Snowfall at my site through today is 111.8”, which means we’ve essentially caught back up to average season snowfall for this date similar to what eyewall’s been reporting for BTV.  The ‘07-‘08 (154.9”), ‘08-‘09 (130.6”), and ‘10-‘11 (134.8”) seasons were all notably ahead of average pace as of Feb 16th.

57 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

beautiful Eyewall, how anybody can diss the natural beauty, shadowing , contrast of newly fallen snow is beyond me.

Thank you and I will post a few more late tonight from when the sun came out this afternoon. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

PF...what did you guys have yesterday during the day? I remember looking at radar thinking you may have done well. Guess so! Wow. What a run in NNE. It was about time.

We didn't really get anything until 3pm when it started snowing 2"/hr for a time.  Overnight it was just classic orographic assist at a steady 1"/hr.  

Up to 14" now as it keeps snowing at the mountain with dim sun in town.  

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

It is such a weenie spot from West Bethel to Andover

That whole area, even down to like Stoneham and Waterford is sick for snow retention. Then of course further north into Rangeley.

They have to be the best snow retention area in New England given their elevation...maybe minus some spots way up north near Allagash, ME. Like 600 feet elevation in a town like North Waterford...they'll attain a 40"+ pack without too much sweat in a decent winter.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't see this evereyday

They've issued them for a long time, it's only recently they started asking us to disseminate them on their behalf. So it's much like an air quality alert, I don't decide to issue it, someone asks me to do it for them.

They also do advisories, but as of yet they aren't asking us to disseminate those. Yet. 

28 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They've issued them for a long time, it's only recently they started asking us to disseminate them on their behalf. So it's much like an air quality alert, I don't decide to issue it, someone asks me to do it for them.

They also do advisories, but as of yet they aren't asking us to disseminate those. Yet. 

oh I know I have seen them on the Mt Wash page, first for me on NWS New England

Archived