Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Post your Winter 2016-17 grade

Hoosier

3 hours ago, nokywx said:

I give it a D+ down here.  The one redeeming quality for us this winter, is there have been no busts.  

The largest forecast for any one storm has been 2-3", and that's the best snow we got.  Also considering we haven't had any near misses to our north, and the Kentucky snow train of 2015 has not been running to our south...that lessens the level of frustration.

One big late-season storm (2008), would jump this to a C+ or B-.

Yeah that's one nice thing about having basically nothing to track all winter.  

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Powerball said:

I'm willing to bet someone named "Guest" who has about 3 posts and just recently joined is Alek.

They made a post that was very Alek-esque. 

I wouldn't expect Alek to sign up under a new name. If he comes back it will be with the original one imo.

Alek has the circulation of an 80 year old. So it's probably him. I have first hand witnessed him shivering at 55 degrees.

Maxim was created back a ways, but pre-election the account only participated in temp projection contests to rack up legitimacy. Alek used to skip capitalizing the first letter of a new sentence often, like Maxim. It's him.

51 minutes ago, Jonger said:

Alek has the circulation of an 80 year old. So it's probably him. I have first hand witnessed him shivering at 55 degrees.

Maxim was created back a ways, but pre-election the account only participated in temp projection contests to rack up legitimacy. Alek used to skip capitalizing the first letter of a new sentence often, like Maxim. It's him.

To say the least.  2014 predates the election by a long shot.  Would be a pretty well thought out plan.

18 hours ago, blackrock said:

F for the longest November ever.

Most synoptic systems have been north and east of here

What little snow we have gotten starts melting right after it stops

Whatever lake effect snow events we have had, the winds are so bloody strong that the bands get blown way inland to like, Josh's house in Detroit and we get a dusting here

Lots and lots of dreary/foggy/overcast days with temps around 40

Mud

This week is the first time we have seen sun since probably the actual November (lol).

Winter along a Great Lake is very depressing when there is no snow on the ground. Dark, dark, dark! This is why I tell people who live here snow is good to have because it brightens everything up...as clouds are pretty much guaranteed. 

To the bolded - could not have said it better!  Ofc, mby is one of those way inland locales that got the LES the shoreline normally rakes in, so that's the single item that I'm not able to agree with, lol. I do agree that Josh's place has had way too much of yby's snow though. And it's not just been this year.

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

To the bolded - could not have said it better!  Ofc, mby is one of those way inland locales that got the LES the shoreline normally rakes in, so that's the single item that I'm not able to agree with, lol. I do agree that Josh's place has had way too much of yby's snow though. And it's not just been this year.

Hah, thanks for the understanding! Since we don't really have many posters on here, if any, that live along the Lake Michigan coast, not many realize just how crummy some of the winters have been here this decade. Getting bloody annoying. When life-long locals who don't really care much for winter start saying they miss the winters we used to have, you know it has been bad. Although we aren't Traverse City or Gaylord, this area does rely on winter activities for our economy. 

F

1.4" on the winter. Just 2.97" of liquid fell, making it very dry. Temps were 0.0 in Dec, +6.1 in Dec, +6.9 in Feb (so far, likely to hit +10 or better). 60s and 70s for the next 7-10 days, so no snow there either. Aside from a couple of cold, dry snaps in Dec, it's been a miserable excuse for a season.

13 hours ago, csnavywx said:

F

1.4" on the winter. Just 2.97" of liquid fell, making it very dry. Temps were 0.0 in Dec, +6.1 in Dec, +6.9 in Feb (so far, likely to hit +10 or better). 60s and 70s for the next 7-10 days, so no snow there either. Aside from a couple of cold, dry snaps in Dec, it's been a miserable excuse for a season.

This is probably the most legit F grade I've seen.

Been a while since I did a writeup lol. As of right now, grade is a C. Depending what happens (or doesnt happen) the rest of the way, plenty of room for that grade to go up or down. However, regardless of what happens the rest of the way, there is no way this winter gets an F or an A.

Ive learned over the years, that despite the general public love affair with a White Christmas and a disdain for winter after Dec 25, by many in the weather weenie community, what happens in December is ALWAYS forgotten when grading the winter. In good winters with bad Decembers, most let December slide as a late start. In bad winters with good Decembers, most are more brutal and its as though no matter how much snow fell in December it didnt happen lol.

Not a fan of monthly breakdowns (because things dont follow a calendar month), but everyone does em so...

NOV - D. Some cool squalls on the 19th, but it was the only winter to speak of that month.

DEC - A. A fantastic month. The storm on the 11th overperformed expectations and qpf, and overperformed DTX forecast by 3-5". I ended up with 10.9", then a few days later an arctic front that was supposed to dust us with squalls instead was a whiteout with 2.5" of unexpected snow (bonus points that this happened as I was decorating the tree). Another 2 days later, a 3.7" snow hit. Arctic cold and deep snow the week before Christmas, and even though the thaw commenced at the worst time, it was still a solid White Christmas. It may not have been a courier & ives postcard, but Christmas dinner at my aunts house featured a look at her white backyard, not the black piles that lined the roads lol. The last week of the month thaw is why it gets an A not A+. 18.5" imby for the month, and DTW had 16.8", good for 13th snowiest Dec.

JAN - C. This was a tough one and Im sure im one of the highest grades here for Jan. The 16-day snowless stretch during the core of the month was absolutely brutal, and a nightmare to snowcover lovers. The month however started with a few whiteouts and a 3.3" thump snow, and the last week of the month featured two more whiteouts and a 4.7" clipper jackpot on the last day of the month, bringing my monthly snow to 13.3". Each of the 4 whiteouts had visib drop to 0.1 mile or less briefly, and my area jackpotted from the clipper.

FEB - C- SO FAR. Another whiteout on the 1st, my 6th lake whiteout of the winter (1 in Dec, 4 in Jan, 1 in Feb). The first week of the month had solid snowpack, but a few dustings and traces is all she wrote for additional snow and will be until perhaps the last few days of the month. Based on the forecast, the grade will likely drop, but too much unknown yet as there are 11 days remaining (will the month end with a storm?).

SURPRISING STATS: DTW had 14 days with 6"+ of snowdepth this winter, 12 of which came in December. Normal for an entire winter is 10. So yes, despite so many saying its a "non-winter" (again this goes back to my Dec theory), we had more "deep snow" days than normal this winter.

Also, Heavy snow (0.25 mile visib or less) has fallen imby on 10 days this winter: Nov 19, Dec 11, Dec 14, Dec 16, Jan 5, Jan 7, Jan 29, Jan 30, Jan 31, Feb 1.

I can break winter down my own way, it would be:

Nov 15-Dec 7: D

Dec 8-25: A+

Dec 26-Jan 3: D-

Jan 4-10: A

Jan 11-26: F

Jan 27-Feb 1: A+

Feb 2-6: A

Feb 7-17: D-

Feb 18-Apr 15: TBD

On 2/14/2017 at 0:46 AM, IllinoisWedges said:

A-. Had two 7" snowstorms in December and torched 90% of the time after that. Not an A+ because it got too cold at one point in December. I like birding and storms, so I hate winter, but the AA temps have really helped. Cold and gloomy also messes with me mentally, soooooo.... Hah. 

All in all: A-, maybe an A once we hit 60 this weekend. :)

You know things a re topsy-turvy when someone considered this winter to be good enough for an A and michsnowfreak doesn't. :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...

With met winter (dec-feb) over, I give it a D for my area. The only thing keeping it from a E was the two weeks leading up to the holiday's when it was nice and white, very easy to get into the Christmas mood with the way it looked then. Since that point it's been one of the least winterish feeling winters I can remember. Haven't plowed snow since Dec, the few light lake effect snow showers we got, 1/4"-1" crap, all melted away within a day or so. Nothing more then  "stat padding" if your into that kind of thing which I'm not. It my look like south east MI did "ok" snow wise this winter when you look back at the numbers compared to average but I don't think the numbers tell the real story about how non wintery it really was.

At our place up north I give it a solid B, above average snowfall so far up there and good snow for the holidays which really bumps up the grade for me.

4 hours ago, slow poke said:

With met winter (dec-feb) over, I give it a D for my area. The only thing keeping it from a E was the two weeks leading up to the holiday's when it was nice and white, very easy to get into the Christmas mood with the way it looked then. Since that point it's been one of the least winterish feeling winters I can remember. Haven't plowed snow since Dec, the few light lake effect snow showers we got, 1/4"-1" crap, all melted away within a day or so. Nothing more then  "stat padding" if your into that kind of thing which I'm not. It my look like south east MI did "ok" snow wise this winter when you look back at the numbers compared to average but I don't think the numbers tell the real story about how non wintery it really was.

At our place up north I give it a solid B, above average snowfall so far up there and good snow for the holidays which really bumps up the grade for me.

We had at least 3 plow able snows after new years here, it wasn't all lake snow. But yes at 33.8" imby it has seemed worse than paper would indicate 

Compared to others, ~30" on the season, including a couple of 6"+ers doesn't seem so bad. The stretches of downtime are brutal though. Not just lack of appreciable snow, but lack of ANY snow. I can't believe how little lake effect dustings/coatings we've had this winter. Usually those are good as stat-padders at least.

Definitely not horrendous like 2011-12, or even as bad as last winter. I'd give a prelim grade of a D/C-.

Archived