• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Post your Winter 2016-17 grade

Hoosier

I know this is early, but the grades don't have to be final.

For me, I'd go with a C- as of now.  Going on 2 months with virtually no snow in the heart of winter may make it surprising that I'm rating it that high, but part of it comes down to personal preferences.  I'm a fan of frontloaded winters, and this one delivered on that aspect to some extent, although it lacked a big storm, shut off too early, and I didn't particularly like to limp into Christmas with old/melting snowpack.  The ice event in January props the grade up a little as well.

If not much happens the rest of the way, I will probably drop it down.  Won't go F though no matter what happens given what I mentioned about personal preferences.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I know this is early, but the grades don't have to be final.

For me, I'd go with a C- as of now.  Going on 2 months with virtually no snow in the heart of winter may make it surprising that I'm rating it that high, but part of it comes down to personal preferences.  I'm a fan of frontloaded winters, and this one delivered on that aspect to some extent, although it lacked a big storm, shut off too early, and I didn't particularly like to limp into Christmas with old/melting snowpack.  The ice event in January props the grade up a little as well.

If not much happens the rest of the way, I will probably drop it down.  Won't go F though no matter what happens given what I mentioned about personal preferences.

D-

B for me, active through out the entire winter, multiple snows, technically on pace for an average year though I doubt we make it, 10"+ snowfall, thunderstorms the same say as a 3" snowfall, very few boring periods and actually a decent amount of nice days too. Oh and a cool period of fog for like 4 days. If we were to end the winter with another snowstorm of any decent magnitude I'd bump my grade up.

D, December was pretty nice but that only made January even more dissapointing. I'd go as far as to say it was one of the most miserable stretches of weather I've ever seen, we got absolutely no sunlight and it just alternated between cold and dry and mild with stratiform rain. Absolutely nothing interesting happened after the one decent snowsquall on the 8th. All the warmth and thunderstorms were to the South and West, all the snowsqualls were to the North, all the ice and snow was to the East. 

57 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Normally have 24.7" on this date. Actual total 12.6":  D+

No snow in forecast for next 10 days would take us to Feb. 23. Grade extrapolated to that date:  D

Could go as low as D- or as high as C-, depending on what happens after Feb 23rd.

This is fair. Aside from two weeks in December (which was still technically fall), winter has been a no-show. D+ might even be too forgiving!

And then when you consider the fall and winter season combined, we're getting close to a D-. Autumn was pretty nonexistent as well

D- Here. Really disappointing in the sense that 2 out of the 3 december systems which were forecast for our area whiffed, then the no show of a January and the general cloudy/raininess through that month as well. However, the first few 3" systems save this one from being an F for me, I'm probably being a bit harsh on it, but I had high expectations which were backed by all the winter seasonal forecasts for the area. Overall, a pretty big let down if you ask me.

It's early still and I have a strange liking of late season significant events...so this could change...going D+. Some pretty impressive LES events, but a dearth of synoptic snow here and no persistent cold resulting in what should be well below average snow for my area are big drags.  A few impressive lake effect events may actually be inflating that grade some because I like lake effect.  A good event or two the rest of the way could bump it up at high as a C- but unless we somehow approach average I can't go any higher.  If we struggle to scrape together any additional notable snowfall the grade could sink as low as a D-. 

F+

+ is for the warning event early in Dec, even if it melted in 2 days.  Can't give a winter that has what will be at least 9 weeks in the heart of the winter with virtually nothing to show for anything higher than a failing grade.  Doesn't matter if we get smoked with a 2 footer in March.  That much downtime during the heart of winter, with virtually nothing to track ruins a winter for me.  Anything under 20" for a season is <60% of the average snowfall here, so even without the ridiculous downtime to consider this would still likely be an easy F.

Winters in general have left me with a bitter taste in my mouth the last several winters.  

11/12 <60% average snowfall at 19"

12/13  A season without a warning criteria event, and 7" below average snowfall

13/14  Another season without a warning criteria event, although the winter itself was phenomenal with severe cold and 20" above avg snowfall.

14/15  No measurable snow in December, but the winter finished well with GHDII, and 4" above avg snowfall

15/16  Dumpster fire winter outside of the freak Nov storm.  <60% average snowfall 

A-. Had two 7" snowstorms in December and torched 90% of the time after that. Not an A+ because it got too cold at one point in December. I like birding and storms, so I hate winter, but the AA temps have really helped. Cold and gloomy also messes with me mentally, soooooo.... Hah. 

All in all: A-, maybe an A once we hit 60 this weekend. :)

Blended grade for me of C.

I'm a winter weather lover, but I would prefer the climate of Denver or maybe even the east coast; give me snow or give me torch. So I have actually enjoyed this winter down here. I typically train year-round for half/full marathons, and this warmer weather has gotten me outside more to run and it's been fantastic. 9 days above 60F so far, with many more to come. Temperatures = B+.

As far as snow goes, it's been as bad as I've seen it. I don't recall the stats of 2005-2006, but this should be right up there. IMBY has 7.0" for the season, John Glenn Int'l has 7.6" for the season. To date average is 18.2" so we're 35-40% of normal and ~2" behind last year with no snow in sight. Hard to get the big storms here, but I'd at least be satisfied with a 6" storm. Snowfall = F

Grading this winter season so far I guess would depend on ones prospective. Here in west Michigan we had a very snowy two-week period in mid-December. GRR had 37.0” of snow in December and about 30” of that fell in two weeks. And the temperature jump up to 53° the day after Christmas. The month ended at -1.7° with that 37” of snow. January started out with no snow on the ground. We did get some cold and snow between the 4th and the 10th but from the 11th to the 10th to the 29th there was no snow on the ground and temperatures were above freezing between the 15th and 27th   Also of note is GRR reached 61 on the 21st and tied a record for that date.  The coldest for the month (and winter so far was +2) GRR did end the month with 4” of snow on the ground.   Now on the February so far this month has been ho hum at best. GRR is at 1.9” of snow and the temperature is now at +2.0° (that will be going up) the warmest so far has been 45 (that too should go up) and the coldest is a mild +4.  So this had been up and down winter but has had periods for both winter lovers (two weeks in December) and a lot of nice days for people who do not care for the cold and snow (much of January and February) Bottom line on this winter’s grade so far a solid C

Howell

December gets a C (Little snow, average temps, lakes were frozen)

January gets an F (no further info required)

February gets an F (Little snow, long above average period on the way)

Northern Lower

December gets an A ( Average temps, Above average Snow)

January gets a F      (16 day meltdown from hell)

February is starting to look like another F (Another meltdown from hell looks to be on the way)

Upper Peninsula

December gets an A (Average Temps, Above average snow)

January gets a D     (Meltdown from hell weighs heavily)

February is looking like a C (Another meltdown from hell) 

In Michigan, March is just as important as February. Let's hope we get a better March than Jan or Feb.

November D... 8.8 degrees above normal and 50% of normal snow. 15" fell.

December... C+  51" of snow (slightly below), near normal temps

January D+... No matter how much snow fell... 42" (it was below normal), an 11 day history making thaw during the statistically coldest past of winter ruined January.

Feb D... 19" of snow to date, but facing another extended thaw will likely lead to a final grade of D

Temporary grade: C-/D

Like Cyclone, from a snow and cold geek point of view this winter has certainly been an F.  We had a few low-end snowfalls in early December(a couple of them being slop), all of which melted immediately.  Since then we've seen almost nothing and there's nothing wintry on the horizon.  If I don't even have to bother putting gas in the blower, it's an F winter.

I give it a D+ down here.  The one redeeming quality for us this winter, is there have been no busts.  

The largest forecast for any one storm has been 2-3", and that's the best snow we got.  Also considering we haven't had any near misses to our north, and the Kentucky snow train of 2015 has not been running to our south...that lessens the level of frustration.

One big late-season storm (2008), would jump this to a C+ or B-.

Preliminary grade is C for this Winter.

Monthly breakdown: 

Nov: F. No early Winter snow and one of the warmest, if not the warmest November on record at YYZ. Only 0.3" at YYZ (avg is 2.9") 

Dec: B+. Solid month with 16.3" at YYZ (avg is 11.0"). However, I won't give it an A because outside that 2 week period in December, it was unseasonably warm and boring. 

Jan: F. Garbage month. 4th warmest January on record at YYZ and only 4.1" (4th lowest on record). If it weren't for that 3" WAA slop before the rain, it would have been the least snowiest January on record. 

Feb B- (so far): Through Feb 13th, YYZ is averaging about 1.5 degrees above normal temperature wise, however, snow wise its near average thanks to the storm the other day that dropped 6.1". Feb total so far: 8.1" (avg is 9.4"). 

Winter total thus far at YYZ: 29.01" (avg to date is around 30.3"). Through Feb 14th, YYZ is near average snow-wise. Last Winter total was 25.9", so we've exceeded that atleast. 

I hope next Winter is better than these last 2 for all of us. Models indicating another El Nino next winter, so we'll see if that materializes. 

F for the longest November ever.

Most synoptic systems have been north and east of here

What little snow we have gotten starts melting right after it stops

Whatever lake effect snow events we have had, the winds are so bloody strong that the bands get blown way inland to like, Josh's house in Detroit and we get a dusting here

Lots and lots of dreary/foggy/overcast days with temps around 40

Mud

This week is the first time we have seen sun since probably the actual November (lol).

Winter along a Great Lake is very depressing when there is no snow on the ground. Dark, dark, dark! This is why I tell people who live here snow is good to have because it brightens everything up...as clouds are pretty much guaranteed. 

Archived