Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/12 Storm Observations

NJwx85

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

32 now with sleet/rain mix.  1"  That may be all she writes here, but this is such a jumble of p-types today, can't be certain.  Wouldn't be surprised at another good burst of sleet, but I think the snow may be done unless we get a little bit on the backside of the low.  On the other hand ...

And just like that it's a moderate snow/sleet mix again.  Some larger parachutes in the mix  This looks to end up a fairly light event, probably as all rain, but NBD here.  Temp is pinned right at 32.  (Smithtown)

20 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

32 now with sleet/rain mix.  1"  That may be all she writes here, but this is such a jumble of p-types today, can't be certain.  Wouldn't be surprised at another good burst of sleet, but I think the snow may be done unless we get a little bit on the backside of the low.  On the other hand ...

Looks like most of the predictions of 1" on the NS were right.  All we had down here was some sleet and freezing rain, but it did accrete- everything's melting now as it's up to 34 here.

On 2/11/2017 at 6:00 AM, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Here's my call for this event

0-coating NYC and points south
1-3 NYC to Rockland ( Bear Mt Bridge)
2-5" Bear mountain to Newburgh (SWF)
4-8" Newburgh to Kingston 
8-12+ north of there

I think totals Will stay pretty uniform east to west based on latitude 

My initial call may have been a tad conservative for NYC metro as some are reporting 1-2" but looks to be verifying nicely :P

2 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Back to heavy snow... will go out and measure at 2... should be close to 6" by now

As per the latest NWS guidelines, make sure you get a snow board and put it on top of the snow and lie on top of it and compress the snow as far down as you can before you measure.

Using this new method I have to revise my measurement from 3.8 to 1.1.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

As per the latest NWS guidelines, make sure you get a snow board and put it on top of the snow and lie on top of it and compress the snow as far down as you can before you measure.

Using this new method I have to revise my measurement from 3.8 to 1.1.

I'm suppose to measure in my yard right? And include the snow already on the ground? I think it's called max depth or something like that 

Archived