Newest Member
    joxey
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

22f/-SN/winds getting gusty, here in Bar Harbor, ME.

Contemplating relocating to either Southwest Harbor (seawall road) or Stonington where p/c suggests highest winds.  Here, isn't as exposed to the wind as I had anticipated.

Edit: To clarify, Acadia park loop road is closed.  That's the reason I'm considering a relocation.  

Should be wild at Schoodic.

14" new at 7 AM, with 1.14" LE.  Now 43" at the stake.  Winds aren't an issue here, yet.  Season total 88" (about my 19-yr avg) and counting, and 40" more than all of last winter.  Only light snow at the moment, but still good echoes upstream so a few more inches seem likely.  Won't make it to 24 but might approach 20.

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Should be wild at Schoodic.

14" new at 7 AM, with 1.14" LE.  Now 43" at the stake.  Winds aren't an issue here, yet.  Season total 88" (about my 19-yr avg) and counting, and 40" more than all of last winter.  Only light snow at the moment, but still good echoes upstream so a few more inches seem likely.  Won't make it to 24 but might approach 20.

43" Impressive! 

Snow globe stuff right now despite less than impressive radar.

Had an additional 2.3" / 0.18" from 12a to 630a to bring the total to 8.4" / 0.85". We've probably picked up a bit over 1/4" since, but I can't imagine this will last long. Maybe I can eek out 9". I had gone 8-14" for here and told my mom 9-15" for her. Looks like the lower ends will pan out. Definitely a bummer though. Kinda funny that I got more from last Thursday than today.

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Why does it continue to do this? All of it happening inside 72 hrs the usual deadly zone of the euro. Was it the update? 

I think all models were a bit too far west. But if you look at everything...low pressure sort of oblong at first, better inflow east and tightening and pulling of H7 low to the SE with rapid intensification...those happen.

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The hype with the winds can start to back off a bit too. You'd think the world was ending watching the news. Nice to see reporters covering some snow patches on the rds in BOS.

There was some person (maybe a meteorologist?) just on the national news (Good Morning America or one of those tabloid type shows), and he was standing right in front of the largest man made snowbank he could find in a parking lot somewhere in Maine hyping up the feet upon feet that is incoming. 

Man that Northfield cocorahs guy (girl?) is a weenie. 11.2"? Yeah right. The 8.0" from Tilt-North is more on the mark...especially if not clearing until obs time.

Depth must be pushing 30" now despite nothing close to a jackpot this season. We just can't get anything to melt. We haven't been able to get a warm rainer. I'm starting to get claustrophobic around the coop.

IMG_9347.JPG

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

Also noticed we didn't start snowing until 330pm yesterday when I thought forecast was for 12-1 pm. Did this storm start later and did that have affect on reducing totals?

Was that a specific statement of start time, or was it from something like the ZFP or P&C? I ask only because we had that light OES stuff in the area and the PoP may have been playing around with the "start" times.

Just ripping up here and getting gusty.  I blew about 7" off driveway last night around 11 pm.  Blew at least that much at 7 am.  There was better than 2" where I had started in 45 minutes time.  High  rates right now, very low visibility.   We're at 20*F.  Wish I could measure but too gusty for any accuracy. 

Archived