Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've made it to Gardiner, ME.  Trying to decide if I should continue to Bar Harbor or head back to Portland (as I'll have to pass through there again as I head home)?   

It appears the CCB should wrap around over Bar Harbor moreso than Portland...and being more exposed to the onshore winds, deliver the higher wind gusts.  

5 minutes ago, ncforecaster89 said:

I've made it to Gardiner, ME.  Trying to decide if I should continue to Bar Harbor or Portland?   

It appears the CCB should wrap around over Bar Harbor moreso than Portland...and being more exposed to the onshore winds, deliver the higher wind gusts.  

With these conditions (and it's not going to get much better), its 60+ minutes back to portland and probably 3 hours of slogging to Bar Harbor. 

I'd shoot the middle and head for Rockland.  

2 minutes ago, RoboMaine said:

With these conditions (and it's not going to get much better), its 60+ minutes back to portland and probably 3 hours of slogging to Bar Harbor. 

I'd shoot the middle and head for Rockland.  

I was considering Rockland earlier as a possible destination, but was/am enticed by the prospective 60 kt gusts at both the Arcadia Park area and Stonington.  

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.     

Just now, ncforecaster89 said:

I was considering Rockland earlier as a possible destination, but was/am enticed by the prospective 60 kt gusts at both the Arcadia Park area and Stonington.  

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to offer your advice.     

I don't think you'll make it to Bar Harbor. Too late in the game

We're right on the western edge of the 850mb low center. Mostly coming from that level combined with 700mb that is finally tilting toward the ocean.

We also have ridiculously cold temperatures being advected in at 5h that often result in weird banding (Scott's mentioned it in recent days). It's creating a ton of instability.

Archived