Newest Member
    Dano62
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

I've been doing some work with ArcMap today on wet snow loading. I don't see any harm in posting one image from one model run just for comments and possibly even some feedback. Locations in the map that I attached that are expected to receive 0.5 inches (contoured) of 'Wet SWE' are at risk of losing power. Other models are fairly similar in terms of magnitude and locations of heavy snow loading. All credit goes to LSC for allowing me to use their programs to derive this image! 

SWE.jpg

that is a really cool map but its looks backwards to me if i'm reading it right

the higher elevations in berks and ORH country into monads then interior southern maine where it will be coldest (relatively) compared to the rest of SNE have highest QPF from wet snow. Doesn't jive as accurate to me.

its 23F in Jaffrey NH right now and 23 in ORH , that's powdah

3 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

5" here so far with moderate snow.  I threw my freaking back out shoveling Fri night.  I was just outside measuring a few minutes ago and it spasmed so bad that i got stuck outside.  My daughter helped me get inside.  Couldn't even get my boots off lol.  Guess I'll be enjoying this one from inside.  My snow guy at my store didn't come back a second time after the last storm so i had to scraped up 2" of icy slop and then shovel it.  Ouch.  

Oh man that sucks...get well soon!! 

maybe you were better off when you weren't getting the snow lol??

3 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

5" here so far with moderate snow.  I threw my freaking back out shoveling Fri night.  I was just outside measuring a few minutes ago and it spasmed so bad that i got stuck outside.  My daughter helped me get inside.  Couldn't even get my boots off lol.  Guess I'll be enjoying this one from inside.  My snow guy at my store didn't come back a second time after the last storm so i had to scraped up 2" of icy slop and then shovel it.  Ouch.  

Sorry about your back!  Ibuprofen and constant position changing to find comfort zones.  Last summer I did 2 weeks of having to sleep on a futon on the floor for an upper back/neck injury.  I used rolled up towels to position myself just right to fall asleep. 

At least you are having your best snow week in years.

Snow has really lightened up here.  Looks like the start of the change over.  About 2".

Can I ask you guys a question.......I plow snow commercially.  Looking at the radar, and thinking of going out late afternoon.   Too early, or should I wait.   Thanks

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

that is a really cool map but its looks backwards to me if i'm reading it right

the higher elevations in berks and ORH country into monads then interior southern maine where it will be coldest (relatively) compared to the rest of SNE have highest QPF from wet snow. Doesn't jive as accurate to me.

Yes! I noticed that too. The accuracy of the images that I derive from modeled output are somewhat inaccurate for a number of reasons. My supervisor makes it clear that they shouldn't be taken too seriously. Regardless, companies that I provide these images to do take them seriously.

I would like to verify these numbers, but nothing really measures wet snow loading on utility wires.  

2 minutes ago, DomNH said:

Well the 18z NAM kind of blows. Obviously this is a nowcast situation but the late model runs are not trending in the right direction for the big stuff.

Lets see how the 4k compares to the 12k. 

Rolling out on wxbell still.

Color me skeptical that this look at 7h won't have better banding over the east... 

impacts.png

4 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Lets see how the 4k compares to the 12k. 

Rolling out on wxbell still.

Color me skeptical that this look at 7h won't have better banding over the east... 

I'm not so sure. That's got to start bombing out to our south. The GOM isn't gonna cut it. Would love to see that 700mb low 50 miles SW.

The GFS starts nuking the 700mb low around CC, that's more what we're looking for. 

Idk. 

I look at the 18z nam to check out some of the features. Impressed by some of it, and it's one of the worst solutions.

We have mid levels closing off right as it passes by during a period of rapid cyclogenesis. I'm willing to bet there is a wild period of time later on as this storm matures.

Closed 5h near the Cape and the CCB is gonna miss completely?

You should be very skeptical.

3 minutes ago, sbos_wx said:

Idk. 

I look at the 18z nam to check out some of the features. Impressed by some of it, and it's one of the worst solutions.

We have mid levels closing off right as it passes by during a period of rapid cyclogenesis. I'm willing to bet there is a wild period of time later on as this storm matures.

Closed 5h near the Cape and the CCB is gonna miss completely?

You should be very skeptical.

It's just a little late on the NAM which is why PWM gets destroyed and we whiff. You're right in that it's really really close. Nowcast. 

Archived