Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mayhem V

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

To keep it real, it stayed chilly in 1997 after the blizzard but keep in mind that normals are over 50.   With the exception of one warm day on 4/17 it was cool most of the month until the final week.

Actually about 7 or 8 days after the blizzard I think we had record cold. We almost had another snow event but it got sheared out in the final couple days. I think we had one pretty good torch day though about 5 or 6 days after the blizzard before that huge cold shot. I wanna say we got maybe mid to upper 60s. Nothing extreme but pretty mild. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, weathafella said:

To keep it real, it stayed chilly in 1997 after the blizzard but keep in mind that normals are over 50.   With the exception of one warm day on 4/17 it was cool most of the month until the final week.

Fwiw -

Here are Hanscom Field (KBED) April 1997 temperatures for the first five days of that month.

42/36

46/40

55/44

55/50

59/47

edit, the number to the immediate right is actually the daily average - sorry.  heh.  The number on the left was the high.

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Pretty easy to see why the GEFS initially torch us through day 9-10.

GEF

EPS

Kind of a west-based -EPO ridge there... 

The GEFS actually look more 'idealized' in terms of wave spacing that fits the classical planetary model.  Contrasting, the EPS appears stressed with the flow downstream of the EPO ridge, because it is trying to maintain a stronger ridging signal in the west-based NAO.

That in total sort of "stretches" the nadir ..and actually, it hints at a subtle omega structure there like it almost tries to split the whole thing into two L/W.  Interesting.

I would have to guess that of the two, the GEFs is the more stable product, but ... these differences are not huge and, well, if the atmosphere always wended its way to a stable set up first, we wouldn't have storms either.  

56 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I seem to remember the 3' of snow we got out here melted pretty quickly

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That snow was gone in like 2 days. It did not stay cold after that storm 

See posts above.  The record shows it was normal to below.   Normal high then is above 50.   My snow was certainly not gone in 2 days!   Early September equivalent sun angle will melt the snow no matter what.

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I dunno. Base state sort of supports warmer east. Hopefully euro holds.

Agreed.

Relative to its self ...it's not a disagreeable revolution of events out there in time (  ...detail arguments aside ...) 

This sort of goes along with what we mentioned earlier, with that EPS and GFS comparison, how the GEFs has a stabler look to it - it could very well be the course of least regret for operational, objective weather efforts.

If we want the Euro to hold serve and be wrong ... okay.  :)   I know that's not what you meant - just bustin' rocks.

I also see the 582 dm isopleth as being unusually far N ...not necessarily at points, but overall.  That's "the band" thing we were talking about the other day and it's not helping this run's winter cause.  The flow down stream of the Rockies doesn't have a physical prayer of troughing with that perpetual repulsion going on from the S everywhere.  That, and we're also seeing huge gradient still...just won't seem to ever relent.

That 582 sort of bench mark isopleth needs to really recede and open up a bigger "gap" between it and the 576 ...which also gaps more with regard to the 570 and so forth. 

I dunno - it's the same issue we were talking about two nights ago and needing the consistency before buying in... What this run does if nothing else, is exposes the fragility of that colder paradigm that desperation is clinging to -

We'll see where the Euro goes.. 

43 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Jesus....Ok, John and Squeaky Scoots....you win; where is my oozy? Lol

:lol:

Nah... there's time.  

I actually like the day 6 Euro look ... coming in now, across southern Canada.  It has a tantalizing set up that sometimes preludes a subsume phase.  I haven't seen the day 7 just yet, but... getting to that day 6 arrangement is precarious enough. 

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Probably won't end up resulting in much accumulating snow where many people live, but something to watch.

euro crushes you Ray but of course the fantasy stuff is just that. I thought of this this morning when I saw last night Euro, that would be fun

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.394.8539&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Heh, I see the wave at D8 or whenever but ...  the governing theme of this run for me is basically a back off look. 

That said ...there almost not predictive value to it, either.  There's about no comparative similarity over the least three cycles of the operation Euro -

So, pretty much a waste of time.

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

euro crushes you Ray but of course the fantasy stuff is just that. I thought of this this morning when I saw last night Euro, that would be fun

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.394.8539&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Hey, its an option....but still ways out.

Archived